twitchers in Oz,what is the UK`s most commonly spotted bird? Spadger?

Yes annual garden bird survey. It's been running for decades
Basically count how many birds you see in 1 hour over one specified weekend. Only know the basics as I don't do it.
D

House sparrow was once very common in UK but has seen a catastrophic decline. Now extremely localised mainy due to a lack of nesting places and shortages of spilt grain. In the late 70s huge flocks on cereals and around farms now sadly all but vanished. I have a sparrow nest box on my house but only used by blue tits.
D

From where I am it's the woodpigeon. One nesting in the tree at the bottom of my very small garden and another two nesting in the trees across the other side of the road.

House sparrow was once very common in UK but has seen a catastrophic decline. Now extremely localised mainy due to a lack of nesting places and shortages of spilt grain. In the late 70s huge flocks on cereals and around farms now sadly all but vanished. I have a sparrow nest box on my house but only used by blue tits.
D
Here I am trapping the vermin imports.

Look up RSPB garden birdwatch survey. Appears Spadger is still number 1
2024 results due out next month

D

Yes BTO nationwide by birders. RSPB is amateurs in gardens.
Yes I was v surprised about the BTO result. Everything is so localised. Magpie and crow population in my town has sky rocketed. Too many sea gulls due to town recycling depot. Lots of urban wood pigeons.
Rarely if ever see a wren in my garden. Blackbird and Robin visit. Wood pigeon constant presence. Out daytime stalking blackbirds most common and a pain. At night always see barn owls. Love watching them through the thermal.
D

So, around my abode (which is a coastal town) the most spotted birds on my estate (AKA the back garden) are: Seagulls of varying varieties including oyster catchers, blackbirds (which nest in next door's hedge), and a smattering of song birds, including a few tits, robins and, like the sea birds, crows, both of which are just passing by at height. Strangely, in the middle of the town (of about 25,000 souls) there's the odd sighting of a partridge, I think English, flying along a street. Saw it briefly myself once but it's been seen by others. There's also, of course starlings, thankfully in small groups, nothing to cause a big murmeration, which is fine of course viewed from a distance but in proximity is nothing more than industrial guano production.

As for raptors, nearby there's a good quantity of buzzards and kestrels and further into the countryside some infrequent sparrow hawks. No red kites have spread to here yet. Being on the edge of the Lake District I've seen in the past the odd golden eagle, but none recently and ospreys are frequent visitors.

Blue tits and hedge sparrows are the most common here in my garden on the coast in Devon, but I get a good assortment of others. Chafinches, green finches, and thrushes are all in decline. There is an ever-growing number of magpies but not in my garden as if they visit they usually get shot! All corvid numbers are increasing but they too don't visit my garden.

Near me its the common Albanian ! there more common the thrushes and out number the starlings .

Back