Two different days

Quarrybank

Went up onto my permission ground earlier in the week for a look to see if any Roe appearing out in the evening. This ground is not far from where I live and is a number of fields alongside a large wooded plantation. I have shot 5 Roe in the last 4 months from here but continue to see a good number at times out in the fields. Usually too far from where I am sat. This land is tricky to shoot on as it is flattish, with farm houses and barn conversions surrounding. It it is difficult to ‘stalk’ due to the nature of the ground and means getting in early to a position and hoping the deer decide to visit that area. That can be interesting but also frustrating seeing them a few fields along and unable to get near them.

Anyway, this evening I was sitting in a hide waiting for something to appear when a movement caught my eye. Here coming down the field edge were a couple with a ‘fluffy’ dog wearing a flashing light collar. They walk right past the hide and then out across the field of view. I kept still but had a laugh to think how they would have jumped if I stood up. So that was the evening done so after waiting to see if Charlie appeared I called it a night. Began to think this could be the end of Roe shooting in this area if people using it as a dog walk.

Today I got home early and decided at last minute to drive over and see what was moving without any real expectations after this recent experience. Got in place in a different spot within same area but where I could also view the other fields. Straight away I saw 3 Roe two fields away at around 700 yds and another in the next field behind trees around 400 yds. Was great to see them going around. After about 30 minutes a buck in velvet appeared out in front from the wood at 250 yds followed by a doe. Then another doe jumped out to join them. Then there seemed to be some running about in front of the buck by one of the does resulting in both Does running up the field towards me. They then stopped to feed in the edge of the field and gave me a good shot at 140 yds. Result and one in the chiller after a very low expectation.

Tim.243

Went up onto my permission ground earlier in the week for a look to see if any Roe appearing out in the evening. This ground is not far from where I live and is a number of fields alongside a large wooded plantation. I have shot 5 Roe in the last 4 months from here but continue to see a good number at times out in the fields. Usually too far from where I am sat. This land is tricky to shoot on as it is flattish, with farm houses and barn conversions surrounding. It it is difficult to ‘stalk’ due to the nature of the ground and means getting in early to a position and hoping the deer decide to visit that area. That can be interesting but also frustrating seeing them a few fields along and unable to get near them.

Anyway, this evening I was sitting in a hide waiting for something to appear when a movement caught my eye. Here coming down the field edge were a couple with a ‘fluffy’ dog wearing a flashing light collar. They walk right past the hide and then out across the field of view. I kept still but had a laugh to think how they would have jumped if I stood up. So that was the evening done so after waiting to see if Charlie appeared I called it a night. Began to think this could be the end of Roe shooting in this area if people using it as a dog walk.

Today I got home early and decided at last minute to drive over and see what was moving without any real expectations after this recent experience. Got in place in a different spot within same area but where I could also view the other fields. Straight away I saw 3 Roe two fields away at around 700 yds and another in the next field behind trees around 400 yds. Was great to see them going around. After about 30 minutes a buck in velvet appeared out in front from the wood at 250 yds followed by a doe. Then another doe jumped out to join them. Then there seemed to be some running about in front of the buck by one of the does resulting in both Does running up the field towards me. They then stopped to feed in the edge of the field and gave me a good shot at 140 yds. Result and one in the chiller after a very low expectation.
All the efforts of a write up should have a reply as for many the hardest part is putting fingers to key pad....

Pictures also make it...

Well done.

Tim.243

Quarrybank

Cheers Tim.243. Appreciate the comment about pictures although I have not got into the habit of taking many pictures. Will keep in mind though. Not being that experienced it takes most of my time to focus on getting the shot correct etc.

hunta

Good write up ! It's amazing how quickly deer get used to people being about provided they're not being harassed. You may get disturbed now and again but the situation could also be to your advantage on occasions.

bullet chucker

Yeah' good account of the situation, I thought you were going to describe dog walkers semi driving a couple of deer toward to your position!

BC.