UK Government Launches UK Deer Management Strategy Consultation

boltgun

Time for a government run body on the lines of the old deer commission with the management and welfare of deer at heart imo.

Wills

I would like those who horde permissions only for "trophy" bucks/stags dealt with (unrealistic, I know). Also, the deer industry is its own enemy in this. Charging what can amount to a fortune for some to shoot 1 deer, then have the privilege of paying for it to take it home. Ruling out multiple trips out for some, with a family and all. It was obvious that populations would outpace the model.

I am really surprised that the government hasn't stepped in to deal with the excess populations in certain areas.

boltgun

I would like those who horde permissions only for "trophy" bucks/stags dealt with (unrealistic, I know). Also, the deer industry is its own enemy in this. Charging what can amount to a fortune for some to shoot 1 deer, then have the privilege of paying for it to take it home. Ruling out multiple trips out for some, with a family and all. It was obvious that populations would outpace the model.

I am really surprised that the government hasn't stepped in to deal with the excess populations in certain areas.
Money makes the world go round and most stalking driven by it, goose and golden eggs springs to mind in some locations with knock on effect been negative to some neighbours.
Time more thought given to the welfare of deer in the long term by some perhaps, and as said time for a proper governing body producing counts and monitoring impact with the powers to help where deemed needed.

Last edited:

StephenToast

bottletopbill

As with every thing else these organisations have to get there finger in the pie before any one else.
Who are they to say who can shoot deer Glynn who does humane dispatch training as shot deer but how many others have done deer shooting in the BDS.
Income first .

It will flood the market with venison and that will limit the amount shot. then the dealers will stop taking them and the price will drop even further. I see some very tricky times ahead.
That will be the main issue, it has not been unknown for the game dealer to suspend taking in anymore deer as his dealership is rammed.
Not sure how this will end up, maybe stop importing venison would help?
Will deer be left to rot in the field, or just not be shot, and therefore have an adverse effect on what DEFRA are trying to achieve.
Bring back the DI, I'm sure they would have a solution to all of this:stir:

Nikko

That will be the main issue, it has not been unknown for the game dealer to suspend taking in anymore deer as his dealership is rammed.
Not sure how this will end up, maybe stop importing venison would help?
Will deer be left to rot in the field, or just not be shot, and therefore have an adverse effect on what DEFRA are trying to achieve.
Bring back the DI, I'm sure they would have a solution to all of this:stir:
Looks like some are only intrested in the £

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
That’s at the minute though, I would say they are proposing to do away with night licences and make it legal for culling to be carried out at night by anybody.
Maybe, but if this came to fruition it would be of great concern. Straight away I can see that causing issues with closed ticket holders. Unless they open all tickets up. They have already extended the doe season to the end of March a few years back.
Opening up FC land to recreational stalkers, whilst closing access to public at certain times in the winter would maybe help for a start off with culling the does/hinds.

Pete6.5

Ive said it a few times to different people who are involved with the decision making instead of just allowing night shooting they should just extend the hour before and hour after sunset law by half hour increments. This would make a big difference.

Pete6.5

And as for the people saying we should shorten the fallow buck season so you concentrate on the does they obviously have never shot large numbers of deer. When you shoot multiple deer from a group speed is very important so if you have to add another check ( is that a knobber on not) you will shoot alot less deer. And I also have ground that has lots of fallow on and in all the years of shooting it have never seen a doe. That farmer is going to be very happy about not being able to shoot them while I'm looking for a doe that's not been there in the last 10 years.

JTO

14 We propose that everyone who culls deer in England has to reach the same standard.
Strongly Disagree. And who would set this standard? The British Deer Society? Or the British Association for Shooting and Conservation? With their DSC 1 or DSC 2 tests? This is allowing the creating of unregulated, by Government, private "empires". The ONLY requirement should be adequate mandatory insurance to protect third parties from injury caused by the culling operative.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

boltgun

And as for the people saying we should shorten the fallow buck season so you concentrate on the does they obviously have never shot large numbers of deer. When you shoot multiple deer from a group speed is very important so if you have to add another check ( is that a knobber on not) you will shoot alot less deer. And I also have ground that has lots of fallow on and in all the years of shooting it have never seen a doe. That farmer is going to be very happy about not being able to shoot them while I'm looking for a doe that's not been there in the last 10 years.
Knobber can be given a sex change in the larder, does happen but in the interests of the greater good.

PorkChops

And I also have ground that has lots of fallow on and in all the years of shooting it have never seen a doe. That farmer is going to be very happy about not being able to shoot them while I'm looking for a doe that's not been there in the last 10 years.
What would be your view of shooting on the basis of Section 7, in this situation?