UK monolithic bullet manufactures

davelloyd91

Evening all,

Recently begun reloading and wanting to develop a lead free load for my 6.5cm 1/8 twist.
I’d prefer a UK based manufacturer for both ease of obtaining and general patriotism (if that’s not considered an act of far right extremism these days 👀).
Are wapiti, virtus and yew tree our only homegrown offerings or am I overlooking anyone?
Developing for sub 300 yard shooting (mainly roe, munties and fallow) with the majority of shots being half that distance and not worried about super flat trajectories. If anything I’d prefer a slower bullet for the slight decrease in carcass damage provided the bullet will still act as it’s meant to (should have got a a 308 hey?)

But anyway, look forward to your answers and hopefully good discussion of this well flogged dead horse.

I’m using the yew tree 112 in my 6.5 CM had excellent results on all deer
Got some 102 as well but not tried them yet

I'm a big fan of yewtree super x 102.4gr in my creed. Most effective bullet I've used (both lead and non toxic)
Drops most things on the spot
The occasional runners I get have a blood trail that Stevie Wonder could follow
And surprisingly carcass damage is not bad at all given the performance

Evening all,

Recently begun reloading and wanting to develop a lead free load for my 6.5cm 1/8 twist.
I’d prefer a UK based manufacturer for both ease of obtaining and general patriotism (if that’s not considered an act of far right extremism these days 👀).
Are wapiti, virtus and yew tree our only homegrown offerings or am I overlooking anyone?
Developing for sub 300 yard shooting (mainly roe, munties and fallow) with the majority of shots being half that distance and not worried about super flat trajectories. If anything I’d prefer a slower bullet for the slight decrease in carcass damage provided the bullet will still act as it’s meant to (should have got a a 308 hey?)

But anyway, look forward to your answers and hopefully good discussion of this well flogged dead horse.
Good Morning Davelloyd91,
I used some of Yew Tree's 118's in my .270, working up a load suggested by Richard. Very accurate and effective! I would highly recommend them to you!
As has been mentioned else where, Richard is very helpful with advice.
I love the fact Yew tree are UK based! (Now who can we get to make us primers, brass & powder?).

Cheers
Hillside

Virtus and Wapiti seem to offer more in the way of tougher bullets and heavier too so may be better for your desired results.

I headshot a young fallow buck at 90m standing straight on towards me with a Yew tree 126.5 grain from a 308. On butchering it there was a 5mm ball of copper lodged just into one of the back straps near the haunch. The bullet did what it was designed to do but something to consider if you want your choice of bullet to hold together.

Cant say well done enough to Yew tree and with a load of R16 it was around perfect. I use fox in other rifle both shoot bug holes

Yew tree for me too. The issue with copper is it still needs a good amount of velocity to expand properly. If you go with a lead free bullet that's too hard for 'reduced carcass damage ' along with lower velocity, you will find they pencil through

Yew tree for me too. The issue with copper is it still needs a good amount of velocity to expand properly. If you go with a lead free bullet that's too hard for 'reduced carcass damage ' along with lower velocity, you will find they pencil through
Depends on the design.

Modern designs - choose the model that suits your expected terminal velocity.

There are several that fit.

Cutting edge do several designs - ive found one to be on the more fragmenting side - useful for slower velocity or longer distances. Too much for close work.

Virtus have 3 models, eagle, osprey, merlin. Each have different characteristics for applications of your choice…

Just an update. Ordered some yewtree bullets and been speaking to Richard.
If the bullets are as good as the overwhelming amount of reviews state, then this guy is the benchmark for how a business should be run.
Several very helpful emails before a penny had even left my pocket. Can’t speak highly enough of the man.

Cheers to all for your recommendations.
Hopefully update you all in the not too distant future with some groups on paper and necropsy pics.

Dave

Use Yew tree 145 hunter in my 30-06. Running at around 2750fps.
Shot muntjac,roe, fallow and red
Red out to 280y. No problem at all.
They do what they say on the tin.
Front section sorts out the internals and the rear section gives a 'bloody' good blood trail...

Attachments

• 20220929_090024.jpg
    20220929_090024.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220929_092508.jpg
    20220929_092508.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220929_101141.jpg
    20220929_101141.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220929_101308.jpg
    20220929_101308.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220929_101313.jpg
    20220929_101313.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Use Yew tree 145 hunter in my 30-06. Running at around 2750fps.
Shot muntjac,roe, fallow and red
Red out to 280y. No problem at all.
They do what they say on the tin.
Front section sorts out the internals and the rear section gives a 'bloody' good blood trail...
Good Pics Jon

Back