Ultrasonic bath fluid

Cyres

Hi

I have seen on here some different formulations, I tend to use a few drops of fairy in distilled water with a tablespoon of white vinegar total volume of 250 ml.

Some use citric acid.

Could members kindly list their recipe?

D

Cottis

Somewhere in the region of 2/5 distilled white vinegar, 3/5 water and a dash of fairy liquid. My USC has a heater which I use and certainly speeds things up in my opinion. I use warm/hot water rather than putting it in cold. If my USC did not have a heater, I would use properly hot tap water.

8 min cycle (100 .22CF or 50 x .243) then shake and put in for another 8 mins and they are done. If you scrimp on vinegar, primer pockets do not clean properly. In to sink for a good rinse out with plain water and then into a solution with some bicarb for 15mins to neutralise any left over acid. Then on to a towel for a quick dry and then stack on a pan, nudge it by mistake and start again :banghead: and then in to an oven at around 120 degrees for 15mins or so just to burn off any excess liquid without torching them. Only needs to be just over boiling point of water

Then on to the really boring stuff :banghead:

fizzbangwhallop

I use 2 Asda pickled onion jars side by side in a 6l bath to do about 20 .223/.243 size cases in each at a time, 8-10mins at 32c. That’s with a level teaspoon of catering citric acid crystals (dirt cheap on fleabay) and a couple of drops of Fairy in each jar. I have tried it with a heaped teaspoon but for some reason it didn’t seem as effective.

I use rainwater out of the garden butt as we’re in a hard water area and let it stand for a day to get rid of the bubbles although my machine has a de-gas function... bubbles detract from the cleaning effectiveness as the cavitation effect cushions against the cleaning process.

I strain off the cases and re-use the mix.... cases are rinsed under a tap and then into a jug of hot water with a couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda to neutralise any citric acid remaining.... rinsed again and blown through with an air line then into a Lakeland food dehydrator to dry off completely.

And bob’s your uncle......

00E20888-F481-4B7E-BDF4-C4F692B197CD.jpeg

EB530A41-CC32-4E05-B3C1-2E0E46BD38F2.jpeg

Yorric

Does the bicarbonate of soda stop the dulling of the cases. I use my U. S. with citric & detergent to wash off the lanolin Sizing lube and the cases go dull when water rinsed before oven drying.
Ian

Cottis

Does the bicarbonate of soda stop the dulling of the cases. I use my U. S. with citric & detergent to wash off the lanolin Sizing lube and the cases go dull when water rinsed before oven drying.
Ian
Nope. Cases do dull a little but I use a zip trim to trim, chamfer and debur and at the same time give a couple of spins with 0000 wire wool which equals nice and shiny. If I didn't trim and and chamfer this way, I wouldn't bother with shining them up a bit. It makes no difference but I guess we all like shiny things

Cyres

Thanks guys, mine is a James heated US bath, I too do 2 x 480 secs cycles, rinse in tap water, drain, rinse in distilled/deionised water, drain, dehydrate using alcohol, drain tip onto kitchen towel and dry on baking sheet in low oven. In winter on radiator or on top of log burner.

I normally give the case necks a clean with very fine wire wool or a scouring pad prior to them going into the bath.

Just use a pyrex square dish to hold fluid just warm it up in the microwave before use, fill bath with cooled hot water so quickly comes up to heat.

D

Cyres

Where can you get sea clean at a good price, seems v expensive when I looked on James site?

D

Alantoo

I leave the same clean water in the U/S tank all the time. I use a couple of honey jars which take 25 or so .308 cases. I put a teaspoon of citric acid and a dribble of washing up liquid and fill up to the jar shoulder with hot water...citric acid seems to work better warmer...put the cases into the honey jars, head down neck up, and zap for 5 minutes, then give a shake to get the loosened clay out of the primer pockets then give another 5 minute zap. Pour off the dirty water catching the cases in a fine stainless sieve, rinse under the tap and put into a jar with a teaspoonful of soda bicarbonate. Rinse again under the hot tap and pour into a towel spin around, then put on an aluminium foil covered baking tray and leave on the nightstore heater until needed.

I haven't quite sussed why sometimes they stay bright yellow and sometimes they dull off a bit...if I want them shiny I hold a cloth with a dab of Autosol against them while they are being spun in the drill for trimming and chamfering.

Alan

Firefly

Where can you get sea clean at a good price, seems v expensive when I looked on James site?

D
[/
SeaClean 2 on amazon 1Litre for £13.99. This is concentrate. Dilution rate means this will last a long long time. I think it’s 20mls to 400mls water.

Regards,
Ff

White Vinegar/water approx 50/50 + drip of washing up liquid.

5L vinegar less than £3 Makro..... & better than malt vinegar on my chips!

Millarsru

I use about 10 parts water to 1 part distilled vinegar and cycle for 8 minutes. After I rinse with clean water then a mild water/bicarbonate soda mix just to neutralise the acid.
For a real shine I put a small amount (1-2 table spoons) of t-cut in with my tumble media.