Un-moderated 23" 22LR - How Noisy?

lambic

Hoping some of the more experienced gentlemen on the forum could tell me how noisy a relatively long barreled rimfire (23") is with no moderator? Shooting for example, Eley Match and Eley Subs

I have seen a stunning Anschutz left handed rifle, but threading it is not an option, so my only reservation is the noise from the rifle when use around my house with the Match and Subs ammo.

My experience of 22LRs is shooting moderated short 14" barrels, which are obviously very quiet with Eley subs. Not quiet at all with super sonic rounds.

Mungo

I have more or less stopped using a mod on my .22LR altogether. Forgot it a couple times and discovered that it makes very little difference with subs. There is a bit more of a 'phut' when it fires, but from 10 yards away it's very subtle. You can shoot round the corner of a building or behind a hedge, and people don't notice unless they're actively listening for it.

With supersonics, it makes more of a difference - but less than you'd expect. The big noise with supersonics is the crack of the round, which you don't loose with a mod.

This is all with a standard CZ455 with a 20" barrel.

lambic

Thanks gents. Just what I wanted to hear, seems a crime against craftmanship to get the get this fantastic Anschutz barrel thread cut.

Just confirm, should be OK with the Eley Match as well? They are a tad noisier than the subs, although the main sound is the bunny impact.

lambic

I have more or less stopped using a mod on my .22LR altogether. Forgot it a couple times and discovered that it makes very little difference with subs. There is a bit more of a 'phut' when it fires, but from 10 yards away it's very subtle. You can shoot round the corner of a building or behind a hedge, and people don't notice unless they're actively listening for it.

With supersonics, it makes more of a difference - but less than you'd expect. The big noise with supersonics is the crack of the round, which you don't loose with a mod.

This is all with a standard CZ455 with a 20" barrel.
So with the extra pressure loss at the muzzle associated with a 23" barrel compared to a 20", then the Anschutz should be even quieter, if my physics is correct?

Southern

You will have to get some bystander to tell you, because the muzzle being further from your own ears makes a difference to the shooter, but the longer barrel is quieter.

I used to shoot smallbore target matches with an Anschutz 1413, which was very quiet, even with Long Rifle ammo.

I also have an Enfield training rifle with a 25 inch barrel that is as quiet as a BB gun when I shoot subsonic .22 Shorts. Down in the woods, with all that so disrupt and absorb the sound, it is fun for hunting small game.

lambic

Think I can gauge the noise reasonably well by the behaviour of the chickens, they normally are oblivious to moderated subs

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Mungo

So with the extra pressure loss at the muzzle associated with a 23" barrel compared to a 20", then the Anschutz should be even quieter, if my physics is correct?
That's understanding too. Certainly my long barrelled .270 and .308 seem quieter than shorter barrelled versions of same!

As for chickens: I've shot unmoderated subs and match in amongst chickens, lambs and horses and had little or no reaction to the shot. You still get a substantial reaction to shot strikes though, since these can be quite loud 'thwacks'.

jthyttin

You can judge the chicken behavior if you're concerned about chickens. In the other hand, if you're concerned e.g. whether other people recognize shots, do like Southern suggested and get somebdoy to listen at appropriate places.

For an animal to react to the sound of shot, it should recognize it as something dangerous AND inside the perimeter in which reaction is necessary. Or be curious.

Humpers

I think it's important to bear in mind that perception of what's "loud" or "quiet" vary wildly from one person to another, so you really need to make up your own mind based on the situation you shoot in and the rifle/ammo you use. I know that this is difficult when you haven't already bought the rifle you're interested in, but I'd strongly urge you to get someone else to shoot their similar rifle so that you can judge for yourself.

For example, I regularly shoot various makes of ammo, including Eley subs and Match, in a variety of situations using my Anschutz 1417 (14" barrel), both with and without moderator. Using this ammo I think unmoderated it's "loud" but with mod it's "quiet". I also shoot hundreds of rounds each week through my unmoderated Anschutz 1913 (26" heavy barrel), including Eley Match (but not HP subs). I think this is much louder than the moderated 1417, but quieter than unmoderated 1417, about halfway between the two if I had to guess.

But the situation and type of shooting you do will massively affect your decision of what's acceptable in terms of noise. I prefer to be unobtrusive to other humans when shooting rabbits, etc, so use the moderated 1417, and am happy to shoot dozens of rounds. But with the unmoderated 1913 I might be OK to shoot one round in similar circumstances, but not dozens, and certainly not hundreds if/when target shooting.

Sorry it's not a simple yes/no answer, but hope it helps.

Humpers

lambic

Cheers for the above. I think I was worrying about something that should not be an issue.

There is plenty of open space in the garden and fields, plus the farmers horses / sheep will be at least 75m away from the rifle. My hens are not the sharpest tools in the box anyway so can ignore them. No intention of range shooting, just plinking targets and pest control.

I am used to shooting a 270 Win, so everything sounds quiet compared to that or just a sign I am going deaf :)

paulnix

It will depend on where they are and what state of mind they are in, imo it's the person rather than the sound involved which scares livestock, I've shot crows outside a cow shed with the cows sniffing my arse as I was doing it, had a fat heifer shot to go in the freezer as she stood in amonst 15 others with a 12 bore and she dropped and her mates never flinched, yet if my dad turns up when I am walking around my youngstock then they assume something is up involving them going into a crush for worming or testing etc are very likely to look to run and jump fences unless he has his Spaniels with him in which case they just stay quiet.
Just be aware that if they look jumpy and unsettled then they could bolt at the slightest thing and it could be the shot but just as likely be the car door shutting or gate clink.

lambic

Well, in an entirely unscientic manner, have decided that Eley Match are a little too loud in a 23" barrel. Whereas Eley Subs are fine. Some of the Eley Match must be approaching speed of sound given the crack

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Heym SR20

Well, in an entirely unscientic manner, have decided that Eley Match are a little too loud in a 23" barrel. Whereas Eley Subs are fine. Some of the Eley Match must be approaching speed of sound given the crack

Speed of sound is 1125 fps. Most subsonics are doing about 1000 fps at the muzzle. Most match cartridges are close to speed of sound, but usually just under.

lambic

That makes a good deal of sense, at least 50% of match are giving off a crack.