Unethical treatment delivered by an agreed sale being withdrawn.

Blobby159

Hi Admin Guys. I had hope NEVER to have need of this part of ANY Forum, but one just cannot be happy with all membership ethics all of the time...

A member had put his nice looking little 2006 registered Suzuki 'Jimmy' hardtop up for sale on the S.D.Forum and as I am looking for a direct replacement for mine that is wearing out and falling apart, I was seriously considering buying it. Then he dropped the price, twice, by quite large proportionate sums and I thought "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and sent him a decent but lower yet honest offer. He wrote back accepting my offer and so I sent him another contact asking a bunch of more pertinent questions about the state of road worthiness of his Jimmy and other relevant questions - like how long the MOT had to run and the like.
That was on the 8th of this month.

I was quite pleased that I had managed to capture a decent looking little Suzuki 4x4 for a good price, even informing my wife that I had managed this. She was pleased for me knowing as she does how much I like lamping from my current old and delapitated Vitara soft top, and knowing I was needing a replacement, sooner rather than later......

However, when he hadn't come back to me with the answers to my queries on the condition of various elements of his Suzi two days or so later down the line, I sent him another gentle "where are you? Is everything OK your end?" Message. In the end I sent him three or maybe four such messages, getting a little stronger with my wording each time, with absolutely NO response back from him what-so-ever, and I was certainly worrying more than a little that something smelt not right here...

Late yesterday (Thursday 14th March) six days subsequent to agreeing and accepting my offer of money to buy his car, I received a very short note saying sorry but he had now decided NOT to sell his Suzuki Jimmy and apologies for wasting my time!!?

I am livid !!.. This is NOT the way one should be carrying out business like this, particularly when he had accepted my offer of money!!? This is surely NOT Ethical, perhaps even illegal??

Is there any recourse that you suggest I can take here and also, is there anything that the Forum Admin can do in my support here please?? Your assistance and suggestions here would be very gratefully & graciously accepted.

Sincere Regards,
Steve - a.k.a. 'Blobby159'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Norfolk Horn

If he had come back after you questioned him and it turned out it looked ok but was a shed, would you still have bought it.
When I buy things I always check condition and detail before making an offer.
Each to there own I suppose.
Good luck in finding something else I'm sure there's plenty around if you keep looking:)

BRYAN

It is frustrating though when sellers don't play the game.
When you get in from work expecting a reply on four consecutive nights, trying not to keep the seller waiting only to find he sold elsewhere anonymously or realised they priced a bit too cheaply or simply changed their minds.
A bit more common courtesy would be nice.

willyroe

Without getting into contract law, a deal isn’t done “until it’s done”.

Unfortunately he is free to do as he pleases. Maybe someone offered him more money?

Big Sweep

I’m not saying it’s the case in this matter it some buyers are rude. I was selling something on another forum and a buyer came in and offered £10 less. I countered £5.00 less.

Buyer comes back with a snotty note “I’ve made my offer mate I’m not negotiating “.

Well if that’s the case I’ve listed at a price and that’s the price you’ll pay.

It all sales were final there would be no estate agents.

philip

Always a downer when a sale doesn’t happen - all in all time to move on and find another

I wouldn’t get upset mate

Way I look at it, my new purchase is just around the corner, what corner is the key - keep looking it’s there somewhere. :tiphat:

mealiejimmy

You have no recourse whatsoever.
No deal was done and the seller decided to remove it from sale- end of story
Life's too short to get upset about stuff like this, so move on, there will be another Jimny around somewhere that will suit you.

Cheers

Bruce

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I am afraid there is nothing we can do as Admin. Its life I am afraid, anyone is within their rights to withdraw a sale. One must look at it from the sellers point of view too. He may not be able to sell the car at this point in time from a financial point of view, all sorts of scenarios can be involved. Frustrating I know but its not the end of the world and he has not done anything illegal. No money changed hands and frankly I would take it that's life and move on.

Sam64

What part of it illegal ?

He apologied for wasting your time. You have no idea what his personal situation is. I doubt it will be he last 2006 Jimmy for sale.

Kramdrazzi

Illegal?

It’s inconvenient....possibly. Maybe annoying at worst.

Illegal.......of course not. Even unethical is rather over the top!

Making a fuss over nothing and getting all unnecessary when life is so short should be illegal - but that’s just my opinion o_O

artschool

Then he dropped the price, twice, by quite large proportionate sums and I thought "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and sent him a decent but lower yet honest offer. He wrote back accepting my offer and so I sent him another contact asking a bunch of more pertinent questions about the state of road worthiness of his Jimmy and other relevant questions - like how long the MOT had to run and the like.
That was on the 8th of this month.
did you consider that after chipping him on the price to then come back and ask a lot of questions, that maybe he thought you were coming back for another price drop?

Blobby159

did you consider that after chipping him on the price to then come back and ask a lot of questions, that maybe he thought you were coming back for another price drop?
Nope!... Didn't even think that. I am too direct and honest for this kinda stuff 'artschool'.. no kidding!! But if one did this on say eBay, that organisation would be at you directly as for them (and its large customers base) it IS a binding agreement once one has accepted the other party's price!

ATB ...... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk