Unexpected thermal discovery.

liongeorge

Out yesterday morning for last Fallow stalk, spotted a large living thing up a tree with the thermal. Couldn't work out what it was, I thought for a while it might be a pine marten but didn't think the New Forest had any. Only when I got in closer I saw that it was a swarm of bees , certainly had me puzzled for a while.

Then an hour later stalking round the woods there is an old wooden shed , again weird hot spot another swarm of bees.

I guess if you are bee keeper after a swarm this is the weekend for you.

Have any of you guys found something unusual and unexpected with thermal that you would never have see otherwise? I love seeing all the mice, moths , bats, owls etc that are usually invisible to us.

JTO

I saw what appeared to be a big cat, taller than a fox, twice last Winter.
At 0130 I found a heat lump in the middle of a golf course fairway, with a smaller mobile creature moving rapidly around it. It turned out to be sleeping bloke with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

philip

Out yesterday morning for last Fallow stalk, spotted a large living thing up a tree with the thermal. Couldn't work out what it was, I thought for a while it might be a pine marten but didn't think the New Forest had any. Only when I got in closer I saw that it was a swarm of bees , certainly had me puzzled for a while.

Then an hour later stalking round the woods there is an old wooden shed , again weird hot spot another swarm of bees.

I guess if you are bee keeper after a swarm this is the weekend for you.

Have any of you guys found something unusual and unexpected with thermal that you would never have see otherwise? I love seeing all the mice, moths , bats, owls etc that are usually invisible to us.
Things are a bit slow at the moment for bees hereabout, I use my thermal for locating bee and wasp swarms in lofts, it saves wandering around aimlessly in a roof void with a torch waiting for em to set upon you :tiphat:

liongeorge

At 0130 I found a heat lump in the middle of a golf course fairway, with a smaller mobile creature moving rapidly around it. It turned out to be sleeping bloke with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
:rofl:

Mr. Gain

I once watched a heat source appear from nowhere in the middle of a paddock. Turned out it was a mole coming up for air.

badbob

" a swarm in may is worth a load of hay
a swarm in june is worth a silver spoon
a swarm in July is not worth a fly"

How about looking for cannabis growing factories

rodp

" a swarm in may is worth a load of hay
a swarm in june is worth a silver spoon
a swarm in July is not worth a fly"

How about looking for cannabis growing factories
Found one of those a few weeks back, the heat in the roof and upper walls was unreal.

Pedro

Was once looking across a field and in that field was a cow. Underneath the nether regions of the cow was a dome-shaped heat source. Aha Watson, thinks I. That'll be a pile of freshly produced cow dung. Then the cow sauntered nonchalantly along a few paces. To my surprise, the lumpy pile under it also sauntered in the direction of the cow. Blimey! A living pile of dung, thinks I. However, that didn't really add up, as you can imagine. So I had to blow my cover and shine a big light onto the scene in the field. The mobile pile of dung turned out to be a hedgehog, which was strategically placing itself under the cows udders to catch drops of milk.

novice

No shot?

Novice

Mr. Gain

I watched a chap reeling back from the pub, obviously lost, and trying to negotiate a couple of 5-bar gates. He went a real purler over the first one, so when he got to the second one he lit a cigarette and wobbled around indecisively until he had finished it, presumably sizing up this new Nemesis before taking it on. All to no avail. I'd have recorded it, but was using a dismounted Apex 75 riflescope and felt having a set of cross hairs on him would give the wrong impression to anyone who watched it, in any case, I was probably laughing too much to get a stable image.

Not long afterwards, I watched a fox trying really hard to separate a muntjac kid from its mother. They were in a little coppice by a pasture and the fox was trying to sneak in from every angle. The doe put up such a good defence that the fox was eventually obliged to come out into the pasture to re-think the whole business and that put it in my sights. Once the fox was down, the doe came out of the coppice and gave it a really god kicking before moving off with her kid safely in tow.

I had a similar experience on another farm, where I watched two foxes working together to see if they could cut a lamb out of a flock of sheep. It was like watching a pair of sheepdogs at work. Like pioneers in the Old West, the ewes were forming a circle with the lambs inside, but they were evidently confused and less able to see what was going on than the foxes, which managed to split them a couple of times. I didn't have a safe shot, and although I could probably have distracted them with a warning shot into a safe area, I have to confess that it was just too fascinating. After about 20 minutes the foxes backed off to take a breather. They didn't get to have a second go at it.