Unusual weapons

private fraser

An elderly guest over Christmas borrowed a walking stick from our umbrella stand by the front door to go out for a walk.
Fair enough,but then I noticed it was one of my collection of antique sword sticks. I persuaded him that one of the other ones would be more suitable.
Just wondering what others have in the unusual weapon category...maybe some obsolete calibres ?.

ps..The sword sticks are legal to have but not to take out, obviously.

McKenzie

Lucky I didn't have a sword stick with me last night as my pointers were attacked & one almost killed by 3 enormous bull mastiffs. 2 of them had the 14 year old in the air & were trying to 'break her up' like hounds with a fox & she was unconscious for several minutes after I managed to beat them off. The owner had the nerve to have a go at me for talking my walking stick to them. The really scary thing was that he couldn't even pull off one, never mind call it off.

Pedro

Lucky I didn't have a sword stick with me last night as my pointers were attacked & one almost killed by 3 enormous bull mastiffs. 2 of them had the 14 year old in the air & were trying to 'break her up' like hounds with a fox & she was unconscious for several minutes after I managed to beat them off. The owner had the nerve to have a go at me for talking my walking stick to them. The really scary thing was that he couldn't even pull off one, never mind call it off.
Send the owner any vets bills. Consider reporting it to the police - Dangerous Dogs. I know that they probably attacked because it was other dogs, but three together? Pack instinct taking over here perhaps. Could have been a child. The attitude of the owner shows there's nothing going to change there unless things are pushed. https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

(Sorry - I realise that this is veering somewhat off topic).

scoop

Years ago whilst helping out a friend doing a house clearance we came across boxes of military ammunition , rifles , revolvers , flare guns 1 bsa air rifle and 2 bayonets
Most things were kept in the garden under tarps , but a few items were inside including a revolver with an exploded barrel
The local police used to hide when we went in as every round had to be counted and there were thousands

Tommo

Years ago working with my father who was a plumber, we found a 20b /.22lr drilling in a loft by Baikal. House owner wouldn't part with it and gave it in to the police.

T

rick6point5

Got a couple of throwing sticks given to me by an aboriginal fella up near Jabiru NT, in exchange for a old sheath knife back in the 80's, I thought at first he was pulling my leg when he told me what they were( looked like firewood to be honest) i only agreed to the swap having seen him get a small wallaby & later knock 2 whistling ducks out of the sky, i am yet to hit even stationary objects..

Dalua

I have a spear which was originally given to my grandfather's uncle when he was Archdeacon of Johannesburg.

Wapinschaw

Incidents like this scare me, the thought of my easy going Labradors being ripped apart in front of me gives me nightmares. Given our ridiculous laws on carrying defensive items, is there a realistic article to have on one's person that is not an "offensive weapon" but could be used effectively in such situations?

private fraser

Incidents like this scare me, the thought of my easy going Labradors being ripped apart in front of me gives me nightmares. Given our ridiculous laws on carrying defensive items, is there a realistic article to have on one's person that is not an "offensive weapon" but could be used effectively in such situations?
I feel the same way but I think your choices are pretty limited these days, unfortunately.
Even a stout walking stick may land you in trouble, but if it's a choice between trouble or saving your dog....

Pointer

I know a mate that carries heavy duty cable ties and has them set (in circle)to put over attacking dogs mouth. Not easy I imagine, but assume the cable ties are legal to carry.

Anyone out walking with 3 bull mastiffs all off their leads, needs locking up.

Pedro

A walking stick is a stick for walking. It isn't (as the law specifies) made, adapted or intended to be an offensive weapon. So to prove it was, the police would have to prove it was made (e.g. a knuckle duster), adapted (e.g. half pool cue with nails sticking out one end) or intended ("Duh yes officer, I brought this walking stick out to clobber hooligans") to be an offensive weapon.

So if you use your stick for a valid reason, then you've every right to have it with you. If you then find yourself having to use it to, in effect, protect your property (your dog) or yourself, so long as it's a reasonable course of action in the circumstances and is proportional then all should be fine and dandy.

McKenzie

Firstly I must apologise to Private Fraser for taking his very worthwhile thread off topic. So sorry about the rant but I was really rather cross.

The damage to the dogs has now been properly assessed isn't massive & in fact it was her tail that came off worst with multiple puncture wounds. We were very lucky. I had been planning to take our children with us on the walk as it was a bright moonlit night & they had been given torches over Christmas.

When I walk my pointers I use an across-the-body type lead over me to allow me to have my hands free for all the usual things. This made it especially difficult as my dogs couldn't get away & also that the 3 attacking dogs were all within 3 feet of me.

The owner implied that I didn't have my dogs on a lead during our somewhat heated exchange so I have bagged the collars & leads used just in case it is taken any further. Shouldn't be too difficult to prove that his dogs had their jaws around my dogs necks as they were great slobbering brutes.

I did report the incident to the police immediately, mainly just in case of the somewhat unlikely event of him doing this too (also in case of it not being an isolated incident).

I shouldn't have thought that carrying a walking stick was unreasonable at the best of times, never mind walking after dark over rough ground.

Anyway, let's try to get Private Fraser's thread back on topic. The sporting writer Michael Brander kindly left me the pointers discussed above and, more relevantly to the topic, gave me this set of matched double-barrelled elastic band guns for our twin boys.

Does this qualify as an obsolete calibre?

View attachment 51108 View attachment 51109 View attachment 51110

Last edited:

private fraser

Thank you for the kind apology but it's not necessary. I got interested in swordsticks as they were part of a self defence ethos and ethic that is now sadly gone, the world is a more complicated place now as your post shows. I think all of us who have dogs worry about this sort of thing. We have three daft cockers who will go up and sniff anything so it is a concern of mine.
I always have a long walking stick / crook with me on country walks, apart from anything else it helps when crossing the dreaded electric fencing. We don't often take the dogs on urban walks and their safety is a worry, especially when you see what some folk have in the way of dogs.

Going back to the thread,I'm surprised no-one has mentioned any obsolete calibres but there again wallhangers and the like tend to attract unwanted attention when you have the real thing.

ps... I like Dalua's post about the spear that was presented to the Archdeacon, having the Lord on your side may not always be enough :)

Last edited:

dave1372

An elderly guest over Christmas borrowed a walking stick from our umbrella stand by the front door to go out for a walk.
Fair enough,but then I noticed it was one of my collection of antique sword sticks. I persuaded him that one of the other ones would be more suitable.
Just wondering what others have in the unusual weapon category...maybe some obsolete calibres ?.

ps..The sword sticks are legal to have but not to take out, obviously.
Charlie if you are looking to go a bit more modern for your collection then let me know as a friend of mine has several fine-crafted items you may be interested in :
Pic 1.jpg
Looks like a normal spoon, right?

PIc 2.jpg
Wrong. It is actually a deadly 2.5"half-smooth, half-serrated knife with tactical grip. One minute you are enjoying a bowl of cereal, and the next you are fighting off attackers with this deadly and disguised weapon.

Or if you don't want to get so hands on then you may prefer something like one of these;
Pic 3.jpg
At first glance, this looks like a normal party cup. However, if you look close enough, you will see that it is really a fully automatic Glock 18C. You will be able to pour your enemies a nice warm cup of lead with this fine gun/cup combo.

Pic 4.jpg
Still thirsty for justice? Try this badass M16A2 disguised as a 24-pack of soda. The box has two finely crafted holes on each side to allow for any kind of optics (not included) that you wish to attach

Pic 5.jpg
This cleverly disguised weapon may look like a tissue box, but is actually a Benelli M3 12 gauge shotgun disguised as a tissue box. The ultra-soft quilted tissues serve as a comfortable grip on the pump-action shotgun. Particularly handy at this time of year when everyone has the flu and you find yourself sneezing whilst fighting off the burgalars,you will have a handy tissue box ready for action.

If you want to have a go at doing anything yourself I wont be offended if you use my ideas.
:tiphat:

Last edited: