Urban release fox

jack

Clueless and with a shortened tail, came towards me through undergrowth to five yards away, did not sense me and wandered off to reappear 10 yards away.
Not seen any this close to my place, thought it was illegal to release them on new ground?

A friend of mine, a keeper, shot one with a .243 to spectacular effect when it was about 50 yards from the nice people releasing it back into the wild while they were still waving at it.

There was a fox running round our farm a month ago in the middle of the day. My wife and son saw it twice.

I shot it at 6.00pm 70 yards from my back door.

Looked like it had been treated for mange.

When I worked near Buxton I had 5 that had been operated on and stitched, 4 with cat flea collars on and shot maybe a dozen that were emaciated and about the same number that seemed tame, to the extent that I walked to within 20 yards of a few and slipped a lurcher on them, pre ban days, it was great!! Wish some were released round here!!!!

I had 5 that had been operated on and stitched, 4 with cat flea collars on

Given that everyone now seems to carry a mobile 'phone with a camera on it, I'm quite surprised we never get to see photos of this sort of thing...
There's plenty of anecdotal stories about released foxes, but little hard evidence.

Given that everyone now seems to carry a mobile 'phone with a camera on it, I'm quite surprised we never get to see photos of this sort of thing...
There's plenty of anecdotal stories about released foxes, but little hard evidence.
there is evidence, I remember seeing photos of a ford Luton van that had Brocken down in the Brecon Beacons , with cages with foxes in it, we killed five while heading back to the lorry with hounds, at the end of day, they were just sitting on the side of the road off the ranges, this was some years ago.
whilst working just outside Portsmouth , I worked with many people who could best be described as bunny huggers, some volunteered with " animal charity's " and would openly admit the treated sick/ injured foxes and they were released in " suitable areas".

I was shooting foxes in the Cardigan Bay Area twenty five years ago. The majority of the foxes we shot had no idea what a fence was, they would try to run through it but bounced back off it. We presumed these were town foxes that had been released. The numbers we were seeing also suggested this

there is evidence, I remember seeing photos of a ford Luton van that had Brocken down in the Brecon Beacons , with cages with foxes in it, we killed five while heading back to the lorry with hounds, at the end of day, they were just sitting on the side of the road off the ranges, this was some years ago.
whilst working just outside Portsmouth , I worked with many people who could best be described as bunny huggers, some volunteered with " animal charity's " and would openly admit the treated sick/ injured foxes and they were released in " suitable areas".

Like I said, anecdotal.
Surely, amongst all the fox shooters on here, someone must be able to say "I've seen it, and personally taken photos, and here they are" and post up the pics for us all to see?

You'd think that releasing foxes that have lives in one environment (towns/cities) into another and also releasing them after prolonged periods in human care would be cruel. They won't know how to hunt, what to be wary of or indeed know the terrain, so will slowly starve. Surely bunny huggers should know this you'd think. Probably the ones that are shot are the lucky ones.

A friend of mine, a keeper, shot one with a .243 to spectacular effect when it was about 50 yards from the nice people releasing it back into the wild while they were still waving at it.

Now my monitor needs cleaning after I spat my morning tea all over it while reading this!
That is a real gem!:rofl:

Always brings a smile reading this post, thanks for the post.

Like I said, anecdotal.
Surely, amongst all the fox shooters on here, someone must be able to say "I've seen it, and personally taken photos, and here they are" and post up the pics for us all to see?

Check out rspca release fox in Swansea "Wales on line" how about the " NFWS in northants , treating foxes with mange and releasing on voluntary sites. I am sure they will send you some photos if you ask. Or ring the Ark in Portsmouth and ask them what happens to there foxes .

Last edited:
Used to have a shoot in the Ashford area in Kent. We routinely used to get released foxes - London Borough Councils found it an easy area to get to (direct route from M20).
Real PIA and actually quite irresponsible but they never lasted long. Typical bunny hugger twisted logic.

You've got to see the black humour here !
.....and, foxes still owe me 12 chickens

Check out rspca release fox in Swansea "Wales on line" how about the " NFWS in northants , treating foxes with mange and releasing on voluntary sites. I am sure they will send you some photos if you ask. Or ring the Ark in Portsmouth and ask them what happens to there foxes .

Yes, I've seen various pictures of foxes being released from wildlife rehabilitation centred, but no photos taken by fox shooters of released "urban" foxes shot in the countryside, complete with stitches etc (neutered maybe?), which is remarkable considering the number of people who claim to have shot foxes like this....

Back