Useful Info?

stone

sorry drew
but as i hav never trained a deer dog before looking at this site has me completely stumped (i hav trained a few hunting dogs though)
i am better off listening to the likes of mark h and sikamalc they talk my language they seem to know how a deer dog should operate no offence to other dog trainers or deer dog owners on this site

MarkH

Its not a bad bit of information but its not been written very well. I have never heard the term 'Reporting' before. Another website calls Bavarian Montain bloodhounds - sweat hounds.
Usually this comes from bad translation of some cut and paste continental artical.

However its better than a poke in the eye I suppose.

Mark

morena

I wonder if Reportage is a loose translation of the German Totverheller which is a dog trained to bark it has found the deer.
morena

paintandpins

Reporting

There are three ways that a dog may report:
1)Bringsel reporting - the dog brings back a bringsel (leather rod) when it finds the deer.
2)Barking - the dog stays the deer and barks until the handler arrives.
3) Showing - the dog returns to the handler having found the deer and excitedly circles the handler until he follows it to the deer.

All of these are very useful when a deer has been wounded and run off.

If you require further explantion about this or other matters relating to Bavarian's have a look at

http://www.bavarianmountainhoundsociety.org.uk/

or contact me through my own site at;

www.paintandpins.com

Alison, Bavarian Mountain Hound Society Committee member.