Using a bushing sizer Die

7-08Ai

Looking for some guidance ,how do you determine what size of bush required for your given calibre for a F/L Bushing die ?

Malxwal

.002" smaller than the diameter of your loaded case neck I think normally recommended, although can go a thou' or two tighter to increase neck tension if you get issues with ES/SD.

jcampbellsmith

Looking for some guidance ,how do you determine what size of bush required for your given calibre for a F/L Bushing die ?

Measure the diameter of a loaded round.

Subtract 2 thou from the diameter you get. Try that bush and also get one - 1 thou bigger and another one - 1 thou smaller. Try them and see how they go.

Keep in mind your necks may vary in diameter by manufacturer and by lot. I've generally bought a range of bushings for any bushing dies that I have.

Regards

JCS

Malxwal

Oh, and presuming you bought Redding dies (I have no experience of other makes), you should have found a small black knurled piece in the box. Remove the sizing button and replace it with this black knurled item.

7-08Ai

Measure the diameter of a loaded round.

Subtract 2 thou from the diameter you get. Try that bush and also get one - 1 thou bigger and another one - 1 thou smaller. Try them and see how they go.

Keep in mind your necks may vary in diameter by manufacturer and by lot. I've generally bought a range of bushings for any bushing dies that I have.

Regards

JCS

Hi,
The supplier of the die said to measure the neck of a new unfired case ? Is this correct ?

jcampbellsmith

Hi,
The supplier of the die said to measure the neck of a new unfired case ? Is this correct ?

I would make up a dummy round and measure the diameter of the loaded round. Measuring a new unfired case is in itself not going to tell me very much.

Following on from Malcolm's comment, I use the expander ball with my bushing dies. Some folk discard the expander ball and use a mandrel as a later step in processing the case.

Regards

JCS