Using different primer to the recipe?

deerstalker.308

If the load data states Rem. 9.5m primers and I elect to use a different manufacturer what should I do with regards to safely developing a load? Presumably if I take said data and start low and build up is that all I need to do? Or is there sufficient difference in primers to make such a remarkable difference in load pressures etc?

big ears

Always start at the bottom and work up. I have never found a big difference in primers. I use CCI and there bench rest does produce better groups but only marginal and in a hunting load not worth the price. As long as the new primer is not a magnum primer you will be fine.

Uncas

Federal primers I find to be hotter than other's,
I personally start half way on data from reloading books as it's a waste of powder ( to me any way ) to start at the bottom load,
Unless you want a slow load for woodland stalking 125 yards or less for Roe/munties etc.

deerstalker.308

Always start at the bottom and work up. I have never found a big difference in primers. I use CCI and there bench rest does produce better groups but only marginal and in a hunting load not worth the price. As long as the new primer is not a magnum primer you will be fine.
It is a magnum primer, it's a recipe for .375h&h im looking at, but I've not seen the Remington primers locally so may well be a case of get what I can...

Southern

What powder are you using?
The Remington 9 1/2 or Win LR will light up most powders well if it is a full measure of powder, as they are almost as hot as the Federal 215 or CCI-250.

RL-15 is a great powder for the .375 H&H with 250, 260 and 270 gr bullets.

deerstalker.308

What powder are you using?
The Remington 9 1/2 or Win LR will light up most powders well if it is a full measure of powder, as they are almost as hot as the Federal 215 or CCI-250.

RL-15 is a great powder for the .375 H&H with 250, 260 and 270 gr bullets.

I haven't started yet for the .375, but found the recipe on noslers website, RL15 if I can get it would be my choice loading 260 gr accubonds
http://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/375-holland-holland-magnum/

Southern

I know Varget is impossible to get in the UK, and W-760 / H-414 also seem to be - all great powders for the .375 H&H. So is 4350. All my .375s have liked H-4350 with 270-gr bullets, again, using LR primers. One reason for me is the hot climate in which I live and shoot, and the same for a place like Africa.

deerstalker.308

I know Varget is impossible to get in the UK, and W-760 / H-414 also seem to be - all great powders for the .375 H&H. So is 4350. All my .375s have liked H-4350 with 270-gr bullets, again, using LR primers. One reason for me is the hot climate in which I live and shoot, and the same for a place like Africa.
I spoke to my RFD and he had a delivery of alliant today and thinks there was RL15 in the order so looks like I'll go with that if he has it.....