Wanted: UTV - Polaris Ranger / Yamaha Rhino / ETO

tom_0787

Due to trading my incredibly useful VW Amarok for a company car I am now looking for a side by side UTV to take over as my shoot transport (will tow on trailer behind new car)
Been looking at Polaris Ranger’s and Yamaha Rhino’s but open to similar type vehicles.
Ideally needs to be road registerable and capable of 40mph.

Open to advice as well as vehicles for sale!!

Last edited:

countrryboy

This may be a totally riduclaus question/statement?

But i'd mibee check the legality of towing it behind a car, obviously ur car will have to be capable of towing the UTV+ trailer (which shouldn't be too heavy, and i'd imagine most would)

But an old farmer told me after being stopped by polis with an empty livestock trailer, ur car must be capable of towing the full gross wieght of the trailer.
To fit a UTV i'd imagine ur talking a 10x5 twin axle trailer, most twins will be plated for 2-3.5T, so in theory ur car is meant to be capable and legal to tow 2+T.
I know its a strange law and ur never likely to be done for it but might invalidate ur insurance if u have an accident.
And makes sure it is a law? But have been told it by a few different old farmers (which doesn't mean its right thou) but a few years ago polis were stopping them coming out of a market to raise the awareness (look for other things they could fine them for)

If u do get a UTV/trailer put some running boards/metal/timber anything to stop where the wheels sit, surprising how they can wreck ur trailer after time with just the wheels in same place all the time

VSS

Get a CanAm Traxter. They knock the spots off all of the others. I had all the others on demo and the CanAm came out on top in all respects.
It will go anywhere that a quad would, it'll tow a tonne, carries 600kg in the load bed, does 75kph on the road, economical on fuel, and not too pricey to buy. Discount available through BASC. What's not to like?
PM me if you want any more info. No connections with the company, just a very satisfied user.

tom_0787

Fortunately my new vehicle has a 3.5T tow limit and I already have the necessary licences to cover me.
You raise a good point because the majority of people are not aware of towing regulations in the UK

Alantoo

This may be a totally riduclaus question/statement?

But i'd mibee check the legality of towing it behind a car, obviously ur car will have to be capable of towing the UTV+ trailer (which shouldn't be too heavy, and i'd imagine most would)

But an old farmer told me after being stopped by polis with an empty livestock trailer, ur car must be capable of towing the full gross wieght of the trailer.
To fit a UTV i'd imagine ur talking a 10x5 twin axle trailer, most twins will be plated for 2-3.5T, so in theory ur car is meant to be capable and legal to tow 2+T.
I know its a strange law and ur never likely to be done for it but might invalidate ur insurance if u have an accident.
And makes sure it is a law? But have been told it by a few different old farmers (which doesn't mean its right thou) but a few years ago polis were stopping them coming out of a market to raise the awareness (look for other things they could fine them for)

If u do get a UTV/trailer put some running boards/metal/timber anything to stop where the wheels sit, surprising how they can wreck ur trailer after time with just the wheels in same place all the time

I don't think that is right, this is from the first paragraph of https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...towing-a-trailer-with-a-car-or-van-the-basics

"Where the sum of the maximum plated weights of the towing vehicle and of the trailer added together exceed the plated GCW of the towing vehicle, this is not a problem as long as the ‘actual’ weights of the vehicle and trailer (which may not be fully laden at the time) do not exceed the plated GCW."

Alan