Valuation advice please….🤔

TheCornishman

Hi all, I’ve been offered a 2 1/2yro Black Lab bitch. Owner is an older gent looking to wind down a bit from the hectic picking up schedule he’s had in the past.

Bitch is well bred, KC regd & has seen a season picking up. I would class her as part trained dog but all the basics have been installed.

Q?….what would be a fair price for such a bitch?

With pup prices through the roof it’s hard to know what the “going rate” should be

thanks all 😉

rms364

Impossible to say as all depends on sellers attitude really. If it were me I’d be looking for a good home foremost and remuneration second but some folks are tother way….. but if I had to estimate a price, probably about the £2k mark. You’ve seen it work I take it?? So what’s it worth to you?? Best of luck if you do purchase. At least you can have a litter off her sometime if she’s good/ sound enough👍

Dan Newcombe

I’d say you would be up £3.5k plus assuming it’s actually nicely behaved / trained and what you want.

Ready to work, basics all done and a black lab Bitch so

A lot of people would be better off buying a part trained dog with solid basics in place to build on - it will be worth more to them in the long term.

if you don’t buy it I know someone who might - this time of year seems to be rife with people who haven’t really thought about shooting and keeping dogs for the season and then suddenly realising that they are short

Last edited:

TheCornishman

Impossible to say as all depends on sellers attitude really. If it were me I’d be looking for a good home foremost and remuneration second but some folks are tother way….. but if I had to estimate a price, probably about the £2k mark. You’ve seen it work I take it?? So what’s it worth to you?? Best of luck if you do purchase. At least you can have a litter off her sometime if she’s good/ sound enough👍
Thanks for the input. I would agree that a good home is the larger priority. With pups making around £2k though I suspect the price to br higher

Scandially

My Chessies come from probably the best bloodline in the UK and the breeder only sells to known good homes and follows up their journey of life. £850 two years ago, £950 now. She could get £3,000+ easily. Screenshot_20210409-191148_Gallery.jpg

Pedro

The going rate for Lab puppies is around the £2000-£2500 mark. Bitches getting maybe a couple of hundred more in that range than dogs. Trained or part trained dogs generally go for quite a bit more, to compensate for the time and money spent on keeping and training them. Of course any good breeder or trainer, or indeed private owner will firstly want to ensure the suitability of the home and buyer beforehand whatever the price.

Of course if you know the present owner, mates rates might apply if he is sure the good home factor is guaranteed with you.

TheCornishman

Really?…perhaps Cornwall’s puppies are following house prices 🤔🙄…chap that I know recently sold a litter of unreg working springers at £2k each. They were very healthy and well bred pups but the litter had no papers…mad prices

I would like to see things return to some sense of normality as the inflated prices encourage poor breeders.

Pedro

Off topic but car prices are now falling too.
I guess the impending electricity of all cars (eventually) although still some way off is bound to get people thinking that if they buy a petrol/diesel car, the price will fall as the electric revolution (sounds like a Jimi Hendrix song) comes ever nearer.

Or perhaps we will end up like Cuba, driving around in 40 year old petrol/diesel cars. Who knows?

Magnificent 7

Hi all, I’ve been offered a 2 1/2yro Black Lab bitch. Owner is an older gent looking to wind down a bit from the hectic picking up schedule he’s had in the past.

Bitch is well bred, KC regd & has seen a season picking up. I would class her as part trained dog but all the basics have been installed.

Q?….what would be a fair price for such a bitch?

With pup prices through the roof it’s hard to know what the “going rate” should be

thanks all 😉
I gave 600 for a similar dog two years ago ended up being my best buy to date retrieves tracks and is a good pal