Varget - what are you using now.

purdeydog

Well that’s the last of my varget gone. I was using varget for .220 swift 40g and .308 185g.

So quick question. For those that have switched from varget, (for those outside the UK we can’t get varget anymore) What are you using now and for what bullet?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Malxwal

RS52 for the 308, although not sure if it is suitable for heavies. Also going to try it under 130gr TMKs in the 47, as the RS62 isnt quite giving the velocity I thought it would.
Will be trying RS62 under 150 Gamekings in the 30-06.
RS52 under 55gr Sierra HPBT in 22-250.

Laurie

RS52 for the 308, although not sure if it is suitable for heavies.
It is. FTR and MR competitors use it with bullets up to 215gn. I did an evaluation of an initial sample lot of the powder in the pre Reload Swiss brand days when it's unofficial nickname was Elcho-15 against Alliant Re15 and H. VarGet using identical charges with the 190gn Berger VLD. It coped as well with this bullet as the two existing propellants and outperformed both a little.

KRS

In my 7-08, using 120 Gr BTs, RL 15 shoots the same as my Varget loads and so that is what I will change to when it runs out.

Reactions: DCG

nun_hunter

Some good replies. Cheers. Too much choice. Wish there there one powder that did the lot lol
This is very true and hopefully @Laurie can shed some light on this.

Is there a check list of ideal attributes when choosing a powder ie the 'best' powder will be as close to 100% case fill, 100% burn, lowest pressure for a given velocity, quickest/slowest burn rate (not sure which is best), most/least grains used etc. Not taking into account cost and availability as these can often change.

This is very true and hopefully @Laurie can shed some light on this.

Is there a check list of ideal attributes when choosing a powder ie the 'best' powder will be as close to 100% case fill, 100% burn, lowest pressure for a given velocity, quickest/slowest burn rate (not sure which is best), most/least grains used etc. Not taking into account cost and availability as these can often change.
There are powder burn charts that give you a good idea of an equivalent in regards to burn rate.

Fill ratios and the like are probably best obtained via quickload- I wish they’d make a Mac version of the software; I’d buy it immediately.

nun_hunter

I know there are burn rate charts and QL will give case fills etc but is there an optimum to aim for? For example if two powders give equal pressure and velocity but one burns faster than the other is there a reason to choose either powder based solely on burn rate? Is one more aggressive to barrels, is one more likely to be affected by temp or pressure etc? If pressure and velocity are equal between two powders is it better to have a 100% or slightly compressed load rather than an 85% fill?

Are there generic golden threads we should be aiming to achieve to give us the best outcomes in performance and consistency?