Variation clause.

basil

Distinguished Member
I have submitted a "one for one" variation for my 243. I`ve bought and paid for my new set up and my Howa 1500 was used in part exchange.
I received a phone call from my firearms dept asking if i still had my Howa, to which i replied yes.
I was told i have to dispose of the Howa before my variation would be implemented, which would be about 7 to 10 days. It seems that temporary lisences are no longer issued unless the circumstances are exceptional.
So at the moment i am grounded.
This may be a bit of a heads up for anyone who only has one rifle of a deer calibre.
basil.

User00004

I had the same problem I thought it would be easier to do than it actually was, It would make sense to do it the sensible way, less hassle for everyone.

Was with Wiltshire Constabulary at the time.

thomas

Hard luck, seems a bit unfair. I applied for a couple of variations last year and was issued with a temporary certificate for both the rifles I was changing. The certificate gave me 3 months to dispose of the rifles but I was also able to buy my new rifles on main certificate which was issued at the same time.

EMcC

There was a time not so long ago when you could get a variation worded on the lines of 'authorised to acquire **** on disposal of ****' .
So if you were doing a part exchange, as most of mine were at the time, you just handed your old one to the gunsmith or the person you were selling to, at the shop you were buying your new gun from and the paperwork went through the same day.
You were only without a gun for the time it took to process the paperwork!!

Rangefinder

Thomas, what part of the country do you reside?

The truly common snese approach to all this is allow us to do a one for one sale i.e. sell a .308 buy another .308 and only insist on a variation if you change calibre's.

Sorry my mind was being logical which equates to space debris to the FLO's.

thomas

Hello Rangefinder,

I come under the West Mercia Constabulary. Last year I legally held the rifles I wanted to change, which were on a temp. certificate. I was also able to purchase the two additional rifles which had been added to my proper FAC.

Roebuck270

I cant see to much problem in buying anouther rifle of the same calibre. All you need to do is go to your gun shop, do the deal. If he has the rifle you intend to buy instock, you give him your rifle as part exchange. You inform the police you have sold your rifle and have a variation put on your licence to buy the new one. If its a new rifle your gun shop will take a few days to get it. I did this once it took 10 days to get it all done.

:D

bambislayer

Whenever I've had a 1 for 1 on my fac, it's just been a straight swap in the gunshop.
I'm afraid we are spoilt with our firearms dept in Inverness.
If you give them a call and arrange a time to pop in they will ammend or put a vatiation on you cert. in the time it takes you to nip out and grab a coffee, it's probably down to having a very rural area and a high% of Firearms ousers.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I am fortunate enough to be with bambislayer, geographically speaking, our firearms department will do the variation for you on the spot, just give them a call and let them know you are coming. It is all done very sensibly but there again there is a lot of us with guns and no gun crime.

John

User00004

JAYB said:
I am fortunate enough to be with bambislayer, geographically speaking, ............... but there again there is a lot of us with guns and no gun crime.

John

Me also, Northern were very good with me when I moved up here.

There are more "legally" held Firearms per head of population within our Licencing area than that of any other Constabulary, it shows. This doesn't mean that they are any less professional, if anything, I would say that they are more professional and can't afford to have a backlog of applications/renewals, as this would get out of control over a very, very short period.

TJ

basil

Distinguished Member
I`m based in Somerset, the gun shop i use is in Devon.
It seems that i have to wait 7-10 days yet the Devon stalker can virtually trade his firearm on the spot in the same shop!
Never mind, the .22 and the shotgun are seeing some daylight.
basil.

enfieldspares

I was told I have to dispose of the Howa before my variation would be implemented, which would be about 7 to 10 days. It seems that temporary licences are no longer issued unless the circumstances are exceptional.

I can't see what thet are doing that is "wrong". You are entitled to possess ONE XXX RIFLE. Not two. So you have legally to dispose of the other before you can obtain a free one for one variation.

Or as below.

I cant see to much problem in buying anou
ther rifle of the same calibre. All you need to do is go to your gun shop, do the deal. If he has the rifle you intend to buy instock, you give him your rifle as part exchange. You inform the police you have sold your rifle and have a variation put on your licence to buy the new one.

You could pay for a variation so that you could obtain another rifle, then dispose of the Howa and then get a one for one variation for a rifle to replace that.

Temporary Form 7 Permits are to allow possession only, AFAIK, not to allow you to do what you want them to. To create a mechanism to retain in your possession one rifle whilst yet getting a one for one variation on the grounds that its has been disposed of out of your possession!

And I think that it has always been so. If you are still in possession of it you haven't disposed f it.

This is also important if you let an auctioneer have a gun. Legally you still possess it until the day of the sale and it is sold.[/i]