Variation for bigger calibre

Rowey

Advice please folks,

Been shooting for many moons. Mainly vermin but also Roe and Munty when I was keeper on a midlands shoot. I'm still shooting there after a lay off through illness. I want to move up to a 30 cal from 243 as I fancy a crack at the bigger species and wild boar and some long range target work. Have you any advice on wording for my variation please? I'm under Leics Constabulary and they are pretty good to be fair. I'm not a member of any rifle club btw

Cheers

Chris

Erik Hamburger

You have already said it yourself: I want to move up to a 30 cal from 243 to hunt the bigger deer species and wild boar and some long range target work'

Rowey

Cheers I'll give it a bash. My hesitation is that my land is only passed up to 243 that's all. Will have to travel for the bigger target species. Wondered if I would have to join a club or make a stalking booking etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Essexsussex

If you have been shooting a 243 for a long time then request an open certificate at the same time. The land clearing not an issue

Orion

If you have been shooting a 243 for a long time then request an open certificate at the same time. The land clearing not an issue
It might be an issue as possession of an 'open' FAC is irrelevant if the FLD want suitable land nominated as part of the 'good reason' for the calibre (most do if the applicant isn't stating stalking as a client/guest).

Pedro

get the land cleared for a .308. One is not safer than the other.
I bet it was passed for .243 when you initially asked for a .243 as that is often what they'll do. The .243 is, as TA6319 intimates basically the same thing as a .308, except the .308 is a bit fatter. :D

25 Sharps

I may be wrong but if you want to put long range target work as good reason you'll need to be a member, usually full, of a home office approved club.

bullet chucker

I may be wrong but if you want to put long range target work as good reason you'll need to be a member, usually full, of a home office approved club.
NRA Membership is not to expensive to join, then you get your range certificate/card to shoot what you choose when it suites, all bases covered.

BC...

Rowey

Spoke to FD today and they just asked me to send in a variation and ask for the land to be upped to 308. Said common sense should apply. For £20 I'll give it a go. Thanks to all for your advice and input

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk