Vegan supporting stalking

CDSG Shooting Sports

The fourth Horseman

This is a balanced view on deer stalking.
In many ways yes, but the bit about deer being responsible for the dearth in Nightingales etc is wrong. All these birds nest near or on the ground, nightingales in thick briars usually. I would look more to "Old Stripey" as a cause, munching his way through a huge number of nests per year.
The badger is most likely the prime mover in a lot of our vanishing wildlife.

HappyHunter

Interesting read. Thanks.

I'm fairly up front in what I do face to face (very cautious of social media though) and I tend to find most folk reasonable and up for discussion.

Of those that do have strong objections though, most happily pluck anything dead wrapped in plastic of the shelves for their Sunday dinner.

Woodsmoke

Very good article, and highlights that not every vegan is a rabid hater of all opposition.

Trouble is, the author is clearly a rational, sensible, tolerant chap, with respect for other peoples' perspective. He's very-much a minority in my experience. In my limited experience, any attempt to make similar points to various online audiences has been akin to trying to educate pork. Sadly, this appears to be a reflection on the overall intelligence levels of your average UK gammon in today's UK.

Last edited:

Jon P

I gave some Venison/ wild boar sausages to friends of mine last year, they had a tree carver working in there garden who was a vegan, he stayed in a caravan for a few days working on the tree, he was more then happy to eat the sausages with them once he knew the meat had been wild and not farmed. So there are some sensible ones out there.

Rake Aboot

Pretty much the standard attitude from most Vegan people I've met. Nothing new.

The Vegan terrorist anti shooter is pretty much a bogie man, focused on by shooters , they do exist but they are simply more vocal, not a majority.

As a vegetarian stalker , I get loads of surprised comments, but the Vegan people I know seem to understand the thoughts behind it better than meat eaters. More meat eaters ask me why/ are surprised that, I carry on killing animals.

Woodsmoke

I gave some Venison/ wild boar sausages to friends of mine last year, they had a tree carver working in there garden who was a vegan, he stayed in a caravan for a few days working on the tree, he was more then happy to eat the sausages with them once he knew the meat had been wild and not farmed. So there are some sensible ones out there.
I have a vegetarian friend who has no problem whatsoever with me shooting, but just dislikes the taste and texture of meat. Yet he enjoys Richmond sausages! Having said that, the meat content of your average Richmond sausage is probably almost negligible anyway . . . .

Moray Outfitting

We have had 3 vegatarians do a level1 with us over the years because they can see the ethics in it. One has written a book and one of the others was in the process. All started this because someone persuaded them to taste a bit of Venison. J

Freeforester

Several customers of mine are wild game venison only otherwise wholly vegetarian, mainly for the ethical issues surrounding animal husbandry and often the associated impacts.

JockStalk

I was staying with a good friend in Aus whose late 30’s daughter has been a vegetarian since her early teens. She’s not ‘activist’ about it, but very forthright.
Over a beer, with the daughter my used-to-be-a-good-mate mentions I shoot deer and what might she think of that. What followed was a pretty open series of questions, ‘why’, ‘how do you feel about killing an animal’, ‘wouldn’t you rather see them alive’, ‘why should it be you killing’ etc. Asked with a healthy measure of suspicion and interest, but not emotively.
By the end of the conversation, she understood my point of view. It was not something she would choose to do herself of course, but she did say that it made more sense, was more ethical to her, to take responsibility for what you eat. Not just thoughtlessly pick up a plastic tray from the supermarket fridge.
We both, I think, had a better understanding of each other’s point of view.
It’s not the ‘vegan’ or ‘vegetarian’ label that matters, it’s the person. In every sector of society, and whatever labels are applied, there are pricks. Best not to tar them all with the same brush until you have enough knowledge of the person to know whether they are in the non-prick or the prick bucket.

Ewich

Agree with JockStalk. My youngest son is "vegan", with a small 'v'. Has been stalking with me and comes beating - will eat rabbit, pheasant, pigeon, duck, venison etc with the best of them, so no you can't label people until you know for sure. Can be a bit of a prick mind!

Territory Hunting