Monkey Spanker

Well-Known Member
Not really a recipe - more of a food related question really :confused:
I've heard that vinegar can be used to 'clean' the inside of an amimal if it is a bit tainted or has the beginnings of mould forming. Does anyone do this or have tried it out? If so was it malt or the clear stuff?
I had 9 roe and a munty in my chiller this week which must have raised the humidity level a little higher than normal. By the time I got round to doing the last ones which was 12 days after they were shot, a slight layer of mould had formed on the tenderloin area. Not much was wasted as the dog seemed quite partial to a bit of furry tenderloin, but I didn't fancy doing it as a normal saddle joint with mould underneath! :cry:


Well-Known Member

Hi Monkey Spanker

Its an interesting question.

I wouldn't want to buy meat with a little mould on, however if it were from my own chiller and I knew its age etc, i'd just trim it off and feed to the dogs like your good self.

Vinegar would extend the shelf life of the meat as its obviously a preservative, but just washing or wiping with it would only help a little and make a couple of days difference - and you'd probably end up trimming off the vinegar'd bits anyway - and the dog wouldn't enjoy them as much!

I think we worry too much about mould nowadays, certainly my favourite cheeses are mouldy, my game is a bit ripe when I eat it and I turn old stale loaves into breadcrumbs for cooking (and do sometimes have to trim a little mould off them too before I do) but im ok so far!




Well-Known Member
A lot of jerky/biltong suppliers suggest wiping any mould off using vinegar. Vinegar is a strong preservative (at least my onions think so!).



Well-Known Member
I wouldn't worry about mould. I butchered two stags for a friend that had been hung for a moth and had gone furry. Just wiped off the mould and any particulalry discoloured meat was binned. The fillets could be eaten raw with a spoon..
Vinegar should help although I've never tried it.



Paul 600

Well-Known Member
Vinegar is used when processing salamis and other cured products. The white mould on a salami is desirable, any other mould is wiped off with vinegar. As the Salami has not been cooked but cured and is safe to eat after the relevant cure time.


Well-Known Member

Hi MS, A butcher friend of mine suggested it some years ago and I have used it on a number of occasions. Like you it seems to occur more when there is higher humidity in the chiller. The meat doesn't taste any different and none of my family have died.