Vital Training

CDSG Shooting Sports

Richard Parsons

Further to earlier posts on DSC and training, I post to share a recent experience and ask for some help. I expect some criticism, but I think this is an experience that can be of help so I offer myself for execution in the name of the public good.

It is easy to do and pass DSC1 in my humble opinion.

Shoot dear, gralloch, whack it down the dealers or into your new big fridge. Deal done, easy. Oh no no no.

I really struggled with my first gralloch. I opened up the carcass after removing genitals etc. but then it went wrong, not badly but things were much harder than anticipated. I had nowhere to hang the beast, despite being prepared with butchers hooks and baling twine. Cutting an animal on the floor is hard because it rolls about, despite trying to wedge the antlers in the ground. I managed to release the pluck from the cavity, but not actually cut it out and away so to speak. Despite wrestling carefully, I decided to quit and call my mate, a qualified butcher, who was on standby with big fridge and knives at the ready. One car journey later, the job is done and said beast is in the freezer and head is in the boiling pot. Please note I will only stalk when my mate is on standby to step in if need be.

Has anyone else struggled and made these mistakes safely in a "controlled" situation???? What I desperately want is carcass handling experience. Watching the pros on DSC is amazing, but watching and actually doing are poles apart IMHO. There is much to be said for education and hands on exp. Thanks in advance for any positive critique.....ATB :(

admin

Administrator
Site Staff
Richard,

No one should shoot you down on this thread for being honest.

Where abouts are you based in the country? I am sure one of the site members would be only too pleased to help you, and show you the way for free. If not please get back to Admin via PM and we will try and find a way of helping you or if I can and you are near to me I will gladly show you how it is done and help you as much as I can.

snowstorm

They do make it look easy. But you are gutting a large mammal, and that is always going to be hard.

The ones I have seen where they do it on the ground do seem a lot harder, and the ones hung up on trees easier.

The one I saw on the ground the guy was in up to his elbows pulling the rumen out. There was a lot of 'feel for xyz and separate it from abc..'.

I don't envy your experience, and never having done it yet myself, not looking forward to it in the dark and rain a mile from anywhere.

Based on your experience I am now going identify a place to hang the possible beast before I sit down to wait.

dieseldan

Repitiion

Richard,

It is all about repitition. The more you do it ther better you become. I have had a few bullets rattle around inside a deer and a few misplaced shots in my time also.

Take your time. Gut hook knife might help? this allows you to work from the chest down to the anus.

i have found the bigger the beast the easier it is.

dan

willie_gunn

Richard

I go along with dieseldan - this really is one of those tasks where "practice makes perfect" (or in my case, "practice makes not quite so imperfect"). It also helps if you can watch someone more experienced go through the gralloch in real life - you would be amazed how much you can edit on a DVD/video - as they can teach you the tricks of the trade.

Regarding boiling out the head, if you're only going for a short/long skull mount, I used to go in the sequence skin/boil/cut/clean, until someone pointed out that it's a darn sight quicker and easier to go for skin/cut/boil/clean. I could have cried thinking about the amount of time I'd wasted before! The only time I'd change the sequence now is if it was a potential medal head on a roe, as 'volume' is a key factor in the CIC measurements.

willie_gunn

Tikka 260

Richard

I am in mid Sussex, Midhurst area.... I'd be pleased to help for free, if it is of any interest.

PM me if interested.

T260

griff

Richard,
I'm sure that someone will do it differently, so here's how I do it from roe to reds:
Lay animal on its back,support each side of its body around the chest with your legs,cut a patch of skin off about the size of a golf ball just where the breast bone starts and cut into the flesh and then cut down towards the pelvic bone, you do not need to cut off the genitals if you do, this will allow contamination into the cut areas.Lay the animal on its side with its head to the left and then remove the intestine and prize off the spleen which is attached to the cavity,tie off the feed tube, job done,remove pluck at later date.

have fun, don't forget we have all been there!!

regards
griff

jingzy

This is a good little problem isn't it. You will probably find that the majority of Scottish stalkers will do their beast on the ground, due to the fact that it is difficult to find trees and carry hoists around etc.

What you do is completely dependant upon circumstances. We will say that you have a roe sack or can get your car to the gralloch site.

1. put the animal on its back, as well as you can.
2. Stand behind its rump, and put your foot onto the lower leg just below the hock. Both legs.
3. This stabilises the animal and it is a straight cut from the pizle or udder up to the sternum.
4. If it is a roe or small deer and your knive is sharp enough you can then move up the deer and use the knife to cut the breast bone up to the neck (if not use a saw).
5. Everything is now exposed and it is a case of using the knife to cut away connective tissue and remove the pluck and gralloch.

Otherwise,
Put the deer slightly head uphill or on a small knoll on the ground.
do steps 1 to 3 above.
4. Place the animal on its right side, the gralloch naturally starts to fall out.
5. Go up to the neck and tie of the food pipe.
6. Then ease away the gralloch and tie of the poop pipe.
7. Ease away the gralloch from the diaphragm and pull steadily until the gralloch comes free.
8. Either remove the pluck there or leave it till you get home.

At the end of the day it is all about practice, but please try and get an experienced stalker to try and show you. It is much easier to do when shown. He may even have other tips that could be beneficial to you.

Cheers,

J

Fester

Hi Richard
I think you have started a bloody good thread here & i doubt you will be criticised at all for this.
I for 1 found my 1st couple of deer very hard to gralloch, its nothing to be ashamed about either, DSC1 & 2 were things that i hadnt even heard about back then let alone done :eek: My first deer shot was with my dad, quite a few years ago i can tell ya :D dad was a fair way off on another part of the ground & i decided to stop under an old oak tree looking down over some pasture, anyway to cut a long story short i shot my 1st deer & decided to clean it to impress my dad :eek: Well how hard can it be,I had watched the old man do it plenty of times :rolleyes: Just like doing a rabbit i thought :eek: Not :eek: as i found out the hard way & made a complete Balls up of what i was doing, Had to wait till the old man came to the rescue & sort out my mess :rolleyes:
well many years have passed along with the DSCs & quite a large number of grallochs & it comes second nature after a bit mate :D
Practice makes perfect as they say :D If you were closer to my area i would be happy to show you mate, if your ever up my area( Derbyshire way ) let me know.
Nick

Richard Parsons

Thanks for all the advice to one and all. Some great tips to try, very much appreciated indeed. Will keep in touch with my progress as a debt of thanks to everyone who has been in contact. ATB

stone

hey richard
been there done that
it will only get better in time honest :lol:
take up 260's offer it's the only way to learn
ATB
stone

ladystalker

I too found it difficult to gralloch my first deer the o/h cringed at the sight of me cutting off the deers family jewels :lol: :lol: :lol: but for the first few grallochs he guided me through it but as said before practice makes perfect . ;)

Amberdog

Richard take the advice give it a go every one gets it wrong at some time at the end of the day it all wipes or washes off so no food safety issues, the quicker you can get on with the grollach the better
amberdog

nell

griff said:
Richard,
I'm sure that someone will do it differently, so here's how I do it from roe to reds:
Lay animal on its back,support each side of its body around the chest with your legs,cut a patch of skin off about the size of a golf ball just where the breast bone starts and cut into the flesh and then cut down towards the pelvic bone, you do not need to cut off the genitals if you do, this will allow contamination into the cut areas.Lay the animal on its side with its head to the left and then remove the intestine and prize off the spleen which is attached to the cavity,tie off the feed tube, job done,remove pluck at later date.

have fun, don't forget we have all been there!!

regards
griff

Hi folks, i would use the same method as griff, but start bye lifting the beast slightly by both front legs with one hand causing the neck to straighten making it easy to cut from the base of the throat towards the chin exposing the weasund that can be pulled out and knotted. Then turn around and standing astride the deer place the back feet under yours, this will bring its bum up to meet you,having both hands free to cut around the anus, this can either be pulled right out knotted and cut off or pushed back through the pevis to be removed with the gralloch, remember to check you got yhe bladder.Then carry on as GRIFF explained...

Hope this method helps
NELL

Night Vision Store