Vizsla

nun_hunter

Lovely looking girl. I have a 6 month old wirehaired bitch who is adorable, full of beans and clearly very intelligent (driving me round the bend at times)

howa243

Lovely looking girl. I have a 6 month old wirehaired bitch who is adorable, full of beans and clearly very intelligent (driving me round the bend at times)
She is from a wire dog and a smooth bitch. Brought her home and she wouldn't leave my side. Two weeks later and she has gone mad and is charging around. Not too many obvious vices yet other than she is a little too vocal. Hope you have fun with yours.

nun_hunter

Sounds just like mine apart from she's not too vocal but will pick up anything to hand (mainly the kids socks). She has a mad 5-10 mins every day which the wife calls "the zoomies" which I think is quite apt. Let us know how you get on with things as I love to hear about other dog stories.

wildfowler1

After having Spans for 46 years I discovered Wires, my blood pressure dropped dramatically. I now have 3, all with full CV's . But mainly deer. I have a vocal one at home but never out and about unless she has a deer at bay. All 3 have different coats wiry smooth or labradoodle type. They are fantastic and I will never be without one.Wf1

Scotty99

Cracking looking girl. You will have a lot of fun training and working her. They are truly intelligent, loyal and loving dogs and boy do they love to work.

howa243

Sounds just like mine apart from she's not too vocal but will pick up anything to hand (mainly the kids socks). She has a mad 5-10 mins every day which the wife calls "the zoomies" which I think is quite apt. Let us know how you get on with things as I love to hear about other dog stories.
I like 'zoomies', very apt. I went to see a guy locally to get some tips on training last week. Am wondering how much of a compromise having a pet and wanting it to work actually is. I have no interest in organised game shooting any longer and it is more important that she fits in at home. Be interesting to see how it works out. She has taken to shoes.

howa243

After having Spans for 46 years I discovered Wires, my blood pressure dropped dramatically. I now have 3, all with full CV's . But mainly deer. I have a vocal one at home but never out and about unless she has a deer at bay. All 3 have different coats wiry smooth or labradoodle type. They are fantastic and I will never be without one.Wf1
I must admit to wanting to go home after work now. Not been like that for a while. She does bring a smile to my face. I have a pet red deer that calved a couple of days ago and i am hoping to bring them up together so that she doesn't chase them.

lilly.jpeg

howa243

Update!

For those interested in acquiring a Vizsla, these are my observations of my first six months with my new Vizsla pup. This is not meant to be definitive, I am sure others will have different experiences and training differences will create different dogs. It is merely a few observations that may be of help to a potential new owner.

I ought to say that I have had black labs for 40 years and wanted a change. I am not sure I was fully aware of the difference.

Firstly, this is where a Vizsla seems to like to spend its time.
1548750053510.png

She is sitting by the roasting oven there and it is genuinely hot. It doesn't seem to matter what the temperature is outside or indeed what you put in front of it, this is where she wants to be.

1548750164647.png

So whilst I have met folks that kennel their Vizsla, it is not something that mine would take to. They are called the velcro dog because of how 'sticky' they are and this is certainly true. I do not put this down to affection but insecurity. I have never come across a dog so lacking in confidence and needing constant reassurance. If anything happens that she is uncertain of, she will be sitting on me. For a bloke with several decades of lab ownership under his belt revelling in the fact that the dogs never uttered a sound unless barking at strangers, I have found owning a dog that wants a conversation quite amusing. She will let you know when she is hungry, or wants to go to the loo by having quite a long chat about it. In the house she seems to spend quite a long time on two legs. This means that anything of value or interest needs to be put further back or higher up.

The house training process was interesting. In total she messed in the house once and urinated in single figures. It was amazing. In fact I swear that she can speak English. They are clearly very bright and pick things up more quickly than I thought possible. One thing I was completely unprepared for was the hair loss. Never having owned a dog with such little hair I assumed that she would want to keep what she has on her back, but no, its everywhere. My daughter came home for the weekend and took a new top out of a bag she brought with her and found ginger hairs on it. They get everywhere.

One irritation I have found is in her eating habits. She is a very dainty eater and take ages to eat her food and sometimes she will leave it. Having done so she will go outside and eat unlimited amounts of sh*t, twigs and grass. She never stops running when on a walk but slows down on occasion to take a mouthful of grass. A bit like a marathon runner at a fluid station. When the grass is sweet she cannot get enough of it. Potentially as a consequence of this or her being a bit thin skinned, we spent £60 and part of last night at the vet checking her out for a high temperature and loss of energy.

I think the simplest way of explaining my experience (to those who are parents), is that owning a Vizsla ( or in my case owning a wirehaired x smooth vizsla bitch) is like parenting a teenage daughter. High maintenance but incredibly fulfilling. In fact on occasion my wife calls the dog Alex by mistake (daughters name).

Reactions: Kjf

sikasako

I have a 5 year old Vizsla bitch who still thinks she is a pup sometimes.
Agree with you about the insecurity thing. My bitch will initially bark at anything new (particularly people) and back off. 10 seconds later and alls well with the world again.
She too is a fussy eater and is prone to getting an upset stomach from time to time.
Best working dog I've ever had. Used her on grouse, pheasant and deer and she's surpassed my expectations.
Haven't quite got her to flush on command as yet, so she can get behind on the beating line when she's on point, which she loves to do.

wildfowler1

Bought a Wire 12 years ago after having Spans for 40 years, blood pressure went down straight away. I now have 3 HWV's that have a full CV. Wf1.

howa243

I have a 5 year old Vizsla bitch who still thinks she is a pup sometimes.
Agree with you about the insecurity thing. My bitch will initially bark at anything new (particularly people) and back off. 10 seconds later and alls well with the world again.
She too is a fussy eater and is prone to getting an upset stomach from time to time.
Best working dog I've ever had. Used her on grouse, pheasant and deer and she's surpassed my expectations.
Haven't quite got her to flush on command as yet, so she can get behind on the beating line when she's on point, which she loves to do.
Mollie likes to point at insects, she looks an absolute treat when she does it. This is normally followed by an elegant jump into the air and diving into the long grass like foxes do. She did put up a pheasant a while back. The noise of it breaking cover had her running in the opposite direction. Made me laugh. I have sort of given up on her being a great gun dog. She also thinks that for about the first 40 metres at least that she can catch a bird on the wing.

kernow69

i have 4 now such a fantastic breed , all are wirehaired, mine track and pick up such a pleasure to work, one being a Zoldmali import and proven stud dog if you ever need a stud hes your boy !!!!IMG_1685.JPGIMG_1685.JPG

nun_hunter

This is mine at 14 months. I pretty much echo what you've said.

I had ummed and arghed about a WHV or a lab as my first gun dog, I went with my heart instead of my head and am having a tough time training her for the reasons you outline. One minute she appears to be the smartest animal I've ever met and picks something up straight away and other times she just doesn't get it (more me and my training I bet though).

She is the first dog I've had that is better behaved outside the house than in. When at home she has zero ability to chill out, the smallest movement or slightest noise will have her running about getting in the way making a racket. Even if the fire is on in the front room and she is fast asleep and I get up to make a cuppa she up too getting under my feet.

Even with all this I still love her, just wish the wife did too!

The opposite of yours with the hair loss though, never find hair anywhere.

Attachments