Vortex furys

243lee

Recently bought a pair of this site, the chap was a pleasure to deal with, product was in great condition, happy with price ect, more than happy with optical performance ect ect,
Having used them for a few weeks regularly iv noticed they cant read most ranges after about 700-750yds, i know advertised range is in optimum conditions/reflective targets ect but is this a normal max range with these in real use?
They are accurate and match my swarovski 8x30 range finder on readings but where the furys run out of legs at the stated ranges the swarovski reads out to 1200 plus despite being half the size,
Before the hate mob forms no i dont shoot anything with a pulse at half those ranges but the ground i have lends its self quite nicely to some very long shots on steel (1000yds plus is very safe and easy to set up) as i push the range as my skills increase target wise,
Just wondered if this is the norm or is it a warranty route?
TIA

Recently bought a pair of this site, the chap was a pleasure to deal with, product was in great condition, happy with price ect, more than happy with optical performance ect ect,
Having used them for a few weeks regularly iv noticed they cant read most ranges after about 700-750yds, i know advertised range is in optimum conditions/reflective targets ect but is this a normal max range with these in real use?
They are accurate and match my swarovski 8x30 range finder on readings but where the furys run out of legs at the stated ranges the swarovski reads out to 1200 plus despite being half the size,
Before the hate mob forms no i dont shoot anything with a pulse at half those ranges but the ground i have lends its self quite nicely to some very long shots on steel (1000yds plus is very safe and easy to set up) as i push the range as my skills increase target wise,
Just wondered if this is the norm or is it a warranty route?
TIA

I have these and sure they read out to 1000 + yds .Not really had a need to range that distance but sure when i bought them a couple month ago I tried them out but not sure of the exact reading .I am not home now but will try when I am and let you know .
I does not say on their spec sheet on internet

I've got a pair of the 5000's and checked them against electronic and paper maps. I found that I could range sheep accurately up to 1500 yards but of course you have a background there, the sheep round our way don't fly :rofl:

I've not used them for similar ranging comparisons on the broader landscape but on a clear day they certainly return measurements up to 5000 yards. You've got me thinking now, so I'll have to scratch that itch sometime soon.

The one thing i havent checked to be fair is the battery, il try thst in the morning but even the side of a steel clad barn isnt returning a reading but by swarovskis are pinging back every time and it was only just over 1100yds so should in theory be well capable of ranging it

I only have issues when there is a lot of moisture in the air on damp days. Otherwise, I can certainly range out to a good 1400 yards. If you change the battery and still have no luck with them, get the guy to send you a copy of the original receipt and send them away under warranty.

Yeah i think its definately worth the battery check first, i think although they were near on new he bought them second hand too so il be lucky in that respect i think.
But then one of the reasons i went vortex is because of the warranty so im not too worried atm, il try the battery and go from there, they are accurate and consistant so thats one thing, just cant range past 700ish atm

I’m certainly ranging pretty well out to 1200 maybe further. Optically very good, possibly as good as my old SLCs, I’m not sure about quality as only time will tell-in any event the warranty is a major selling point. I think they are a bargain. My local shop sells out of these rather quickly, mainly to professionals.

i have the 5000 and i usually range things: cattle, deer, sheep ... freekig dumbass 'i have the right to room' cockwombles aroudn 1500 yards ... last winter when it was a nice sunny day with snow i ranged a mountain top (snow is very reflective) at 4750 yards and i was well imrpessed. Buildings usually go till 2500 yards ... hope this helps Rob

Mine are the new 5000 model too so was quite suprised i cant range over 750ish, il try the battery as only fair to them and hopefully might sort it

Back