Wanted. Nobel No2 rifle powder.

Silverfoxfintry

I have finally exhausted my supplies of ICI Nobel Rifle powder No2.
I know it's a long shot, but, do any of you have a tin you want to part with?
Having used the same load for many years with great results I am reluctant to change powders.

enfieldspares

And when that tin is empty you'll find Nobel No2, is, I think, still made and sold by Norma, under a Norma name.

A email to Norma may help? Certainly Nobel powders remained available after the powder plant near Glasgow ceased production.

All a casualty of the idiot Sir John Harvey Jones, when at ICI, and as "The Troubleshooter" who once told the Morgan Car Company that they had a moribund business model with a bleak future.

Last edited:

EMcC

Now that is a powder I would go back to if it was readily available.
I fired off some of my .243 rounds the other day that had been made with the old fashioned Lee Reloader, scoop type measure .
They had been in the back of my cupboard since the very early eighties and so I dug them out and decided to fire them off just to get the brass.
The first five were an inch high at 100yards and could have covered a 5p piece
By the time I had used up all of the twenty odd, the group had opened up to about 4" and that was because I just fired them off to use them up and probably the heat of the barrel might have had something to do with that too !!

Laurie

And when that tin is empty you'll find Nobel No2, is, I think, still made and sold by Norma, under a Norma name.

A email to Norma may help? Certainly Nobel powders remained available after the powder plant near Glasgow ceased production.

If that is so, which I'd imagine most unlikely at this remove, it'd certainly cease to be available from mid 2018 unless totally reformulated. A very large raft of older powders lose their CE certification next year as they contain banned toxic/carcinogenic components identified under the EU 'Project REACH' initiative that is steadily working its way through each and every product used in industry, agriculture, and the home and identifying allegedly dangerous chemicals which either have to have 'safe' ingredients substituted or if that isn't feasible, the product is withdrawn. (Unless that is it fulfills some vital task and there is no viable safe alternative as applies for example to a group of bracken control herbicides called 'asulam' or similar names - now banned but limited use is allowed in the UK only under controlled short-term derogations to stop EU protected moorlands from being destroyed by the pernicious weed.)

Nobel powders alongside all propellants of that era were stuffed full of chemical modifiers starting with names like Dinitro .... that fall within REACH's 'nasty and must go' classification. In the last few years, all European manufactured powders have been reformulated, but very few from elsewhere. When you see one of the listed pluses of the recently introduced Canadian manufactured IMR 'Enduron' propellants described as 'clean' or 'green', REACH and maybe similar initiatives elsewhere are what is behind this.

Anyway, where do you find Norma powders here? I have some ancient N200 and N201, but haven't seen anybody stock or advertise these for 15 maybe even 20 years.

Last edited:

enfieldspares

Ah. That's why "new" green colour Nitromors is rubbish. Bought some to strip and re-finish stock last month. Useless. Luckily found a half a tin of the old stuff and sorted the job.

enfieldspares

I found this on the internet, thinking, Scot was made by Nobel. But..this from the internet:

I believe that some Scott rifle powders were made in Scotland. The Nobel Scotland powders are single based . These powders are still made in France Vectan / Nobel Sport powder.

The Lucky Hunter