Wanting to learn about thermals

Jamie956

Hi all

I’m looking for my first thermal spotter which I’m hoping to use for different jobs but I know nothing about them and have only looked through a couple of them a couple of times

I want to use it, if possible, for everything from rats with the air gun, squirrels, rabbits and foxes day and nite, maybe deer at some point from a hill top watching from a distance

I would like to keep it pocket size if possible as it will just go with me on walks sometimes but range finder would be nice, after a bit of looking at things I ‘THINK’ a pulsar XQ38 lrf is the kind of thing that would suit me but there are that many lesser known makes now and I’m sure some are good. I don’t want to just go for the smallest cheapest one just because it’s my first, although I don’t want the ‘fanciest’ one going I do want one worth having that will pick things up near or far with some level of ID with experience

I don’t really know what all the numbers mean or what old models are that would still be good second hand

I’m sure you can help

Cheers

J

Clive Ward

Hi all

I’m looking for my first thermal spotter which I’m hoping to use for different jobs but I know nothing about them and have only looked through a couple of them a couple of times

I want to use it, if possible, for everything from rats with the air gun, squirrels, rabbits and foxes day and nite, maybe deer at some point from a hill top watching from a distance

I would like to keep it pocket size if possible as it will just go with me on walks sometimes but range finder would be nice, after a bit of looking at things I ‘THINK’ a pulsar XQ38 lrf is the kind of thing that would suit me but there are that many lesser known makes now and I’m sure some are good. I don’t want to just go for the smallest cheapest one just because it’s my first, although I don’t want the ‘fanciest’ one going I do want one worth having that will pick things up near or far with some level of ID with experience

I don’t really know what all the numbers mean or what old models are that would still be good second hand

I’m sure you can help

Cheers

J
Hi Jamie,

To fit that brief, I think it is only the XQ38 LRF or the Iray Finder FL25R, the Iray being more pocketable. There is also the Conotech LRF units, but I don't have any experience of those.

I'm with you on pocketability, over raw performance. I use a Pard SA35 as a spotter. It's tiny, but quite expensive as it is mainly a rifle scope!

Cheers

Clive

Jamie956

Thanks for that, just a shame the lrf is external but ya can't have everything

Is there a list of good/popular places to look for them?

Or, has anyone in York area got one I could have a look at please?

Cheers

J

Tim.243

Hi all

I’m sure you can help

Cheers

J
I like my xq38, however one or 2 very sharp foxes noticed on a dark night the eye shine as I put it up to look through as the back screen does give off a light source. So I went to ANT supplies and brought a Kappa Cup which is a bellowed extension which opens up in as you press your eye to it. Solved that problem left those a couple of weeks then sorted out the 2 sharp ones.

Jamie956

Haha good plan, does xq38 have brightness adjustment at all, forgot to say I wear glasses sometimes, if that rules some out?

J

Tim.243

Haha good plan, does xq38 have brightness adjustment at all, forgot to say I wear glasses sometimes, if that rules some out?

J
Any light source will reflect off the eyeball/glasses.. Foxing in a full moon you will stick out like a guide looking for deer... :old:

fizzbangwhallop

There's one particular high seat I sit up that faces Stevenage...... and the flight path into Luton, and I'm sure that some foxes have clocked the reflection of the easterly glow of the street lights and/or the headlights of the incoming planes in the 75mm front lens of my 75/3 thermal scope.

The bloody planes seem to now be turning their lights on from several miles out and lighting up everything til they get nearer and the beam goes past me.... I'm tucked up a decent oak with a decent overhang of branches and with a net on the front of the seat the foxes are usually still 100/150m off and luckily don't seem to be spooked by it.... just keeping an eye on it, or even sitting down at about 80m to watch if the situation changes (Which it usually does of course, courtesy of a 70grn ballistic tip!).

Cheers

Fizz
Damned clever things foxes.

Jamie956

Yep the saying ‘as cunning as a fox’ exists for a reason doesn’t it!

Tell me...I hear of people spotting with a thermal but ID what ever it is with a nite site or similar, is this just safety or lack of experience/practice with the thermal or how it had to be done with older thermals?

Cheers

J

Yorkshire Viking

Tell me...I hear of people spotting with a thermal but ID what ever it is with a nite site or similar, is this just safety or lack of experience/practice with the thermal or how it had to be done with older thermals?

Cheers

J
Thermals are getting better with being able to ID - having said that I spot with Thermal and shoot with NV.

camodog

Cheers

J
You will find with experience over time you become very adept at identifying various critters by their mannerisms. But the maxim 'if in doubt, don't' always applies !
I have been using TI for 5 years and it was a steep learning curve at the beginning. I have recently moved from 'tubed' NV scope to a TI scope. Though I would not necessarily recommend using a thermal scope from the 'get-go', but familiarise yourself thoroughly with a spotter first in being to accurately ID various animals.

wb2710

Got my Pulsar Axion XM30S from Swillington, great service from both the Axion and Swillington. Would recommend both.

srvet

One thing to consider carefully is field of view. If you are going to be working a lot at close range then a wide FOV makes a big difference to how fast you can spot things so the 38mm focal length of the EQ38 is better . If on the other hand you are primarily spotting foxes at long range then the XQ50 will be advantageous

Jamie956

So...do I need a built in range finder?

If I’m on deer it will be light and I have a rangefinder

If it’s dark, and with practice, will I just get used to the size of rabbits/foxes etc at the ranges I will be using whichever rifle at?

How much do I gain getting a xq38 over a xq30?

J