Ward d 800 vs Pard nv007 add ons???

Primate

Hi All. Is the Ward worth the extra money over the Pard?
Will either of them work well on my current scopes? Meopta ZD 6-24x56 and IOR 6-24x50. I am familiar with the performance of the Drone Pro 10x, so to those out there who have used both Are these as good as the Drone Pro? I have shot foxes out to 300 yards with the Drone on a friend's rifle. Are either of these add ons up to this sort of performance? And do you think they will work on my scopes?
Regards

Haven't used the Ward but got the Pard recently and must admit Im mighty impressed with it.

Used it on an HMR with great effect with a Sidewinder 8x32x56 and Carls Custom IR.

Will try it on my Meopta Zd 6x24 soon.

Hi Ya

With the right IR both will do 300 yards+ I have seen some videos giving decent picture at good magnification at 400 yards. People are getting good results with the new laser IR such as the Solaris SRX on high mag.
I have a ward 700 and even with my T20 back sun torch which is massively eclipsed by current laser IR torches I can hit 200 yards clearly on 10x mag.

For the scopes you will I think struggle as the IOR only parallaxes down to 50 yards and Meopta 30 yards. Ideally you need the scope to come down to 10 yards to give a decent image at closer ranges. Also as they are high end scope you are likely to lose IR transmission due to the quality of the coatings meaning to get range you will have to pump more IR to get a long range bright image.
Most people for add ons generally are using stuff like sightons, hawke and Delta Titaniums.

Haven't used the Ward but got the Pard recently and must admit Im mighty impressed with it.

Used it on an HMR with great effect with a Sidewinder 8x32x56 and Carls Custom IR.

Will try it on my Meopta Zd 6x24 soon.
Thanks. I'd really like to know how you find it when you try it on the ZD, and indeed how well the bayonet fits with the illuminated reticle on the ocular.
Cheers.

Your issue is going to be no Parallax adjustment the Swaro 8x56 will be P/Xed at about 100 yards I would think like most non PX scopes to get decent focus on these units you need PX to come down to 10 yards ideally or the image will be out of focus

Your issue is going to be no Parallax adjustment the Swaro 8x56 will be P/Xed at about 100 yards I would think like most non PX scopes to get decent focus on these units you need PX to come down to 10 yards ideally or the image will be out of focus
Cheers, I saw someone say on YouTube that the eye piece focus would allow a nv to work on a fixed power scope but I'm dubious, I really need to try one and see, a demo would be great.

Hi Ya

With the right IR both will do 300 yards+ I have seen some videos giving decent picture at good magnification at 400 yards. People are getting good results with the new laser IR such as the Solaris SRX on high mag.
I have a ward 700 and even with my T20 back sun torch which is massively eclipsed by current laser IR torches I can hit 200 yards clearly on 10x mag.

For the scopes you will I think struggle as the IOR only parallaxes down to 50 yards and Meopta 30 yards. Ideally you need the scope to come down to 10 yards to give a decent image at closer ranges. Also as they are high end scope you are likely to lose IR transmission due to the quality of the coatings meaning to get range you will have to pump more IR to get a long range bright image.
Most people for add ons generally are using stuff like sightons, hawke and Delta Titaniums.
Thanks
Hi Ya

Cheers, that's kind of what I'd thought however I saw a YouTube vid of the Pard on an IOR Crusader and performance looks good. Practical Precission UK the guy is called. Mind you I don't know the scope and maybe it parralaxes closer than mine? I imagine the glass will be similar though?

Hi All. Is the Ward worth the extra money over the Pard?
Will either of them work well on my current scopes? Meopta ZD 6-24x56 and IOR 6-24x50. I am familiar with the performance of the Drone Pro 10x, so to those out there who have used both Are these as good as the Drone Pro? I have shot foxes out to 300 yards with the Drone on a friend's rifle. Are either of these add ons up to this sort of performance? And do you think they will work on my scopes?
Regards

The Pard adds about x2 magnification to what you see through the scope so the best scopes to use with it have low base magnifications (x2.5 -x3).
That way the field of view remains wide making target acquisition easier. Increase the scope mag as much as you want for the actual shot
I was out shooting rabbits with a pal last week who was using the PARD with a Sightron 8-32x56 scope and he had an absolute nightmare trying to find the target after spotting it with the thermal.
It won't be much better with a x6 base mag scope.
In that respect, the Ward is a better bet since it is effectively x1 magnification.
Neither is better than a Drone Pro (nothing is!!)

Cheers

Bruce

The Pard adds about x2 magnification to what you see through the scope so the best scopes to use with it have low base magnifications (x2.5 -x3).
That way the field of view remains wide making target acquisition easier. Increase the scope mag as much as you want for the actual shot
I was out shooting rabbits with a pal last week who was using the PARD with a Sightron 8-32x56 scope and he had an absolute nightmare trying to find the target after spotting it with the thermal.
In that respect, the Ward is a better bet since it is effectively x1 magnification.

Cheers

Bruce

The menu in my pard allows differing magnification so you can keep optical magnification of the s open down...lowest setting is 1.5 so in theory 10x scope mag would be approx 15x mag total??

I did have a bit of trouble finding a rabbit the other night, bugger was hiding behind a mole hill in the transition between thermal and rifle lol

Cheers

Bruce
[

Thanks Bruce. I'll not ever be using it for rabbits. Do you reckon you'll be able to shoot a fox at 300yards with either unit with my scopes with descent IR? Not too bothered on target acquisition. It will be used for shooting in spring or off baits. Cheers.

I have a Drone and a Ward 800. The Ward is great but will not work on my Meopta r1 scope at all. The IR breaks up through the scope and I get all sorts of weird reflections. It works very well on my sidewinder and with a decent torch will give a great picture as far as i could want. It also has a reasonably normal shooting position.

It is not a drone. The drone will work when the weather is poor, it will give ID on a target when the thermal spotter is struggling to pick out a heat source. The Drone is twice the price of the Ward.

Thanks Bruce. I'll not ever be using it for rabbits. Do you reckon you'll be able to shoot a fox at 300yards with either unit with my scopes with descent IR? Not too bothered on target acquisition. It will be used for shooting in spring or off baits. Cheers.

Frankly, no.
For 300 yards, the scope magnification is going to be pretty high and the parallax problem gets worse as magnification increases.
Even with a good IR, I don't think either scope will give you a clear, safe shootable image at that range.
Cheers

Bruce

I have a Drone and a Ward 800. The Ward is great but will not work on my Meopta r1 scope at all. The IR breaks up through the scope and I get all sorts of weird reflections. It works very well on my sidewinder and with a decent torch will give a great picture as far as i could want. It also has a reasonably normal shooting position.

It is not a drone. The drone will work when the weather is poor, it will give ID on a target when the thermal spotter is struggling to pick out a heat source. The Drone is twice the price of the Ward.
Good to hear from someone who has both.
Cheers.
I was kind of hoping they would work well on my current scopes but it's looking doubtful.
All said and done if I end up buying a Ward, a laser and a new scope too, I'm probably not going to be far off second hand Drone money.

Second hand ward say £400 for an 800. Ian Sirrels laser (the best ) at £140. Sidewinder (50mm), new at £250. Total £790 against a secondhand drone £1400 with IR if you can get one. I had two and very reluctantly let one go and even now think I should have held onto it.

The ward is good though and if the weather is clean will give you 300+ yards. Where I am it's very rare to have clean dry air so the range is reduced but I would still expect 200 yards. I would normally not shoot further than that at night and mostly it's less than 80 yards.

Back