Wasps

Eddiewin

Came across a semi-destroyed wasp nest in the field next door while I was digging out some ragwort. About 18 inches deep, comb and wasps spread everywhere. Like an idiot I got too close and was attacked by the wasps, 16 stings counted so far which is a bugger because I have an allergic reaction to them. So now I am even more red and swollen than usual, probably have to go to the Doc's if it doesn't get better soon. My knowledgeable neighbour reckons it's a badger's work but I've never seen one here in 25 years. Anyone got any experience of this sort of thing?

PS I blasted the nest with killer powder last night and there's nothing left this morning.

Came across a semi-destroyed wasp nest in the field next door while I was digging out some ragwort. About 18 inches deep, comb and wasps spread everywhere. Like an idiot I got too close and was attacked by the wasps, 16 stings counted so far which is a bugger because I have an allergic reaction to them. So now I am even more red and swollen than usual, probably have to go to the Doc's if it doesn't get better soon. My knowledgeable neighbour reckons it's a badger's work but I've never seen one here in 25 years. Anyone got any experience of this sort of thing?

PS I blasted the nest with killer powder last night and there's nothing left this morning.

would agree with badgers seen them do it to bumble bee nests all the time - they have now gone up in my estimations if the eat wasps too!!!!

That will be badgers, and take it from me, if you were truly allergic you would probably be dead by now!
Just take some anti-histamine, but be aware of anaphylactic shock symptoms, but sounds like you will be fine.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard, I've taken a shed load of anti-histamine, still swollen and itchy and red! Definitely an allergic reaction, perhaps just not a really nasty one (thank gawd!)

Thanks Richard, I've taken a shed load of anti-histamine, still swollen and itchy and red! Definitely an allergic reaction, perhaps just not a really nasty one (thank gawd!)

'Er indoors was actually outdoors walking the dog in the wood the other day and the dog came back covered in wasps. She swatted them away and of course they went for her...that was a dozen or so stings...she managed to get the 3/4 mile home and then had a bit of nasty turn...she had a bad reaction to a bee sting a couple of years ago so I called the ambulance who checked her over for blood pressure, heart rate and breathing difficulties...that was around a month ago and even after a shed load of anti-histamine she is still itching.

I gather if you react you react, it is maybe only the luck of where you are stung as to whether the reaction takes place in a vital spot...the throat is the classic for constricting your breathing and the heart of course is pretty important!

Someone I was talking to about it referred to an Epipen, but her doctor thought she would be okay with just anti-histamine tablets which are in her hand bag all the time...just not with her when she is walking the dog though :(

Alan

'Er indoors was actually outdoors walking the dog in the wood the other day and the dog came back covered in wasps. She swatted them away and of course they went for her...that was a dozen or so stings...she managed to get the 3/4 mile home and then had a bit of nasty turn...she had a bad reaction to a bee sting a couple of years ago so I called the ambulance who checked her over for blood pressure, heart rate and breathing difficulties...that was around a month ago and even after a shed load of anti-histamine she is still itching.

I gather if you react you react, it is maybe only the luck of where you are stung as to whether the reaction takes place in a vital spot...the throat is the classic for constricting your breathing and the heart of course is pretty important!

Someone I was talking to about it referred to an Epipen, but her doctor thought she would be okay with just anti-histamine tablets which are in her hand bag all the time...just not with her when she is walking the dog though :(

Alan

Ambulance came for a dog? We are lucky to get one here for a human!

Ambulance came for a dog? We are lucky to get one here for a human!

Maybe there were too many she(s) in my story...there were two females only one of them is a bitch. :)

The bitch was rescued by the other she and the wasps then attacked the rescuer. Both were stung.

All clear?

Alan

I’ve noticed all the wasps have been smaller this year. A bit like the small early year ones. I wonder if it’s to do with the dry weather and a lack of insects to prey upon?

Back