Weather for roe stalking

beebuzz

Hi All,

What weather conditions would you not go out in for roe doe stalking? The rain has been relentless this year and I have been out (mainly unsuccessfully!!) but is it worth going out or leaving it for another day?

Thanks
Beebuzz

Hi All,

What weather conditions would you not go out in for roe doe stalking? The rain has been relentless this year and I have been out (mainly unsuccessfully!!) but is it worth going out or leaving it for another day?

Thanks
Beebuzz
Deer, including Roe deer, need to eat...!
In winter I like to be out on a relative nice warm sunny day between 12-15.00 hours ( after breakfast, newspaper and morning coffee ;) ) the deer will be out, providing it is a relative undisturbed bit of ground with no public access disturbance. Worth a try?

The only weather that stops me Stalking is persistent rain - that is due to the steaming-up issues wearing prescription glasses/ binos and thermal, not because the deer won't be out.
The 'knowledge' that Stalking is pointless with a North/Easterly wind is nonsense - if as a Stalker you stay at home you will not cull anything, so you get the false statistics that with 'bad' conditions, such as an Easterly, no deer is shot (by you!). There are sites where I can ONLY stalk with a Northerly/Easterly wind, and I do have many successful Stalks there, with a success rate similar to those with other 'more favourable' wind directions.

I go stalking for enjoyment so tend to stop in if its windy or raining , no fun in that.
As I stalk recreationally no pressure for targets so just go out when its enjoyable.

Hi All,

Thanks
Beebuzz
When it's snowing or foggy I don't go out. Even when it's blowing a gale or raining heavily, there are always sheltered spots somewhere.
Regards
JCS

When I was set on as the stalker on an estate in the Cotswolds I stalked in any weather. We had one wood about fifty acres and in the winter there were always a great number of Roe in it. They tended to gather there from other places as it was the warmest place in the area and contained the best of food. We had to be careful not to shoot too many does as it would have decimated the whole population, which was never the aim. I had a doe resident there who produced triplets two years running. Generally I could find deer at any time but 12-3pm was best in the doe season and an hour after dawn for the bucks whatever weather.

The worse the weather the better I say. I get good numbers down when the weather covers your noise and scent. Even fog I find isn't too bad if you get in the woods with thermal.

Thanks for all the comments, very interesting how certain conditions suit specific locations- but if it I was easy it would be no fun! I’ll just keep getting out there.

Thanks!!

One thing about poor weather is it means you have to get closer to identify your deer. But this can be offset by the conditions masking your approach.

East wind is normally a no go were i am they just don't like it. Heavy driving rain will see them entre deep cover. Showers are ok and if your lucky enough to be out at the end of a shower or two the deer will come out in number. But you cant be a crisp sunny day and leave till 2pm they will be out in numbers.

Attachments

• aal does.jpg
    aal does.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 58
The deer are out there 24x7 - I've shot roe in all weather conditions, as they tend to put less store in what the weather forecasters say than I do!

When I look out the window the only conditions weather conditions that might make me seriously question going stalking is thick fog, and that's more out of concern over the drive to get to the stalking ground.

Back