Weighed the guts

PSE Composites Limited

John Gryphon

Have been swapping emails with an SD member re UK and Aus differences in hunting and related how I had a weigh up.

I shot a 2 year old sambar stag last Friday evening and dropped the guts out at home after two mates helped lift him into the ute. ( dragged and cursed)Full guts from start to finish and then next morning weighed the whole lot after stuffing them in a poly feed bad.

They weighed after 12 hours of being 'free' 80lbs on the dot.

Lightyear

I am happy to shoot an 80lb deer never mind the guts weighing 80lb alone.

Those Sambar can get to a serious size, what was his larder weight ?

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

John Gryphon

No Idea Phillip,he still has his hide on.

btw what exactly is 'larder weight' is that skinned ,head on/off etc etc as I am not conversant with all the UK terminology.

John Gryphon

Righteo...approximate weight of this deer may be 350 lbs in that state. Prob more as I take the neck off at the base instead of taking the head off at the joint.

John Gryphon

Here is a young fella 'walking' through a standard farm fence of roughly 4' in height. They are so powerful that they just stretch the wires,the top one is barbed too. I bet his guts weigh 80 lbs too!

youngbull2_zps27f1c219.jpg

Timbo61

Stuff that for a carry out !! What is the meat like at the table John ? I have heard more than a few kiwis say it is very average at best. Maybe the different diet in Oz makes for a different end product

John Gryphon

Timbo if you are on Fish n hunt nz you will know of Shanks..he said when I fed him sambar for the first time " **** there is nothing wrong with that yum"
I have read of kiwis saying its no good..perhaps you are right in that the deer are eating something that taints the meat..or they cant fugn cook ha ha.
I have eaten it for years,rarely buy beef at all as the sambar veni is very good.

Timbo61

Haha. Yeah, I know (of ) Shanks. Is he a pom? Think you could be right about the lack of cooking skills, certainly in some I know anyway. Unfortunately for you on this occasion, the worst cook I know is actually an Australian sheila married to a Kiwi mate of mine. She is currently over the ditch (poisoning) some old people for a living. :norty:
I will have to try and get on a Sambar hunt and find out for myself to be sure

John Gryphon

unofficially 700 plus pounds live weight..well thats dead weight with a bit of blood let out.Based on stag sizes that were weighed previously, this is and as I said 'unofficial' as the McWhirters werent there ha ha

The Moose and the Wapiti are 1+ 2 top weights.

This bloke is a solid stag but by no means a big one.Check the rump steaks under that hide.

bullberryside_zps68f11e48.jpg

Last edited:

sinbad

That last photo is a cracker John.
Them sambar are seriously heavy beasts. No wonder a lot of guys just go for the calves, it seems such a shame that due to the terrain common practise seems to be carry out just the back legs and straps.
Paul

John Gryphon

That last photo is a cracker John.
Them sambar are seriously heavy beasts. No wonder a lot of guys just go for the calves, it seems such a shame that due to the terrain common practise seems to be carry out just the back legs and straps.
Paul
A lot of the blokes are too weak in the legs to do multiple return trips..of course I`m guilty of that too if one shoots a stag 10-15 k`s from the ute. There is a lot of weight in 2 legs and straps. Add 80 lbs for the head/antlers and green cape ha ha.
​Those old Kiwis in Fiordland did it hard carting Wap heads out,we have it easy compared to that job.

I have posted before that now in my 60`s my meat animals are where I can get to them by some sort of vehicle,even a two wheel m/bike beats carrying.

I saw that link you sent too mate.

Btw I did a lap today from before dawn and it was only for two hours but in tough enough terrain in some slippery bush. I didnt see a hair.. only one sandy looking fox 1/2 doz black rats and a few roos outside the bush first up.Found a fresh spikey and a few hinds (marks in mud)

John Gryphon

A fair old weight by all account John, far better to gralloch asap.. 80lbs a lot of excess
baggage...! bet you were glad the two mates were there to give you a lift.

Rgds,Buck.

Too right UB I couldn't have done it myself and would have had to cut it up. I dont mind winching them up over a tree limb if possible then dropping them into the ute tub but for the billion trees there is often none suitable or the first limb is 50' off the ground!

That same pair helped me with my Red stag from earlier this year and I`m very grateful.

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope