Wellies

Chasey

Muck boots for me

My one have cracked after about 5 years usage and I am going to get a set of Muck Boot Arctic Ice AG for the winter this year

Standard Muck boot is 5mm Neoprene, these are 8mm fleece lined

shbangsteve

Noras for me. As a dairy farmer I probably wear them 60hrs a week. I put some Sorbothane insoles in the bottom, makes a huge difference to comfort. If it's cold I wear another pair of socks. Fairly lightweight, reasonable to buy and nothing beats them for grip and wear. I've tried various different types Muckboots- too heavy, made my achilles sore and absolutely useless grip in the milking parlour. Neoprene Hunters, the same and only lasted 8 days. Couldn't walk in Aigles. No self respecting dairy farmer would be seen in Le Chameaus. I always come back to Noras.

andychas

up until a month ago I would have said Skellerup quattro, however the pair I bought a year ago have split across both soles. my wellies are used a lot but nothing out of the ordinary and theres little wear on the tread tbh, to my mind its a manufacturing fault and I will get onto Skellerup themselves. The vendor wants nothing to do with it as they are out of guarantee of course (just by a a week or so!)

Koenig

Dunlop Purofort Terroir Wildlife Boots are very good. They are made of a nylon material as opposed to rubber and are very, very hard wearing whilst light and warm. I wish I’d discovered them years ago. Every other brand of boot I’ve had (Hunters/Musto & LaCrosse) have lasted 2-3 seasons before cracking and leaking.

They can be had for £60-70 on the web.

Koenig

For a cheapie alternative Aldi’s neoprenes aren’t bad either. The trouble is the green ones in popular sizes go really quickly! £20 if my memory serves me correctly.

rem284

I have not had wellies for over a decade. They are not comfortable and dont last any time at all. I wear boots.

Pedro

Muck Boots, going back a few years were very very good and delightfully cheap and they sold like hot cakes. As a result, they realised they had a good thing going with a good following. So they did the predictable thing and over a bit of time, hiked the price to the likes of some of the more premium brands. But they are still quality kit, if sadly not the best deal around to be had.

victormeldrew

I've used Nora for years & agree with shbangsteve's comments. However, I find that the grip isn't as good on a side slope, so I'm considering a change.
Aigle & Le Cameau are outwith my budget.
Based on the comments, I' looking at either Skellerup Quattro or Dunlop Purofort.
Looking at the Skellerup website, the Quattro Sport seem to be lined with 4mm neoprene, which I think will be too warm, especially when the weather is milder.
Also, the website doesn't show the sole pattern, what is it like?

Thanks,
victor

reiver

After breaking my ankle 20 years ago I have tried most make and the best by far have been Agle . I wear welly’s 5-6 days a week at work and the Agles last me about 3-4 years. They work out at around £35 a year and also offer the best support for my feet and ankle .

Cottis

I've used Nora for years & agree with shbangsteve's comments. However, I find that the grip isn't as good on a side slope, so I'm considering a change.
Aigle & Le Cameau are outwith my budget.
Based on the comments, I' looking at either Skellerup Quattro or Dunlop Purofort.
Looking at the Skellerup website, the Quattro Sport seem to be lined with 4mm neoprene, which I think will be too warm, especially when the weather is milder.
Also, the website doesn't show the sole pattern, what is it like?

Thanks,
victor
Hilariously I took some pictures of the last new pair I got as a mate at the other end of the country wanted to see them. The date is Jan 2016 and they are still in very good nick. No leaks but obviously pretty filthy. They sometimes get a blast on the steam cleaner if it out cleaning one of the tractors but generally they are not looked after and are chucked in the boot of the vehicle. I do not wear them from April-Oct but Nov to March they are used nearly daily. My brother in law uses them on the farm and they see 12hr days, 365days a year on a cow farm. Slippy concrete, crap, muck etc. His do 2 welly seasons before he replaces.

Sole wise, as you can see, they are sort of concave which is to make them grip on the outside on crap coated concrete. They are bizarrely impossible to slip over in. The treads are fine. The only downsides are heat. They are too warm for anything other than winter wear but I have the insulted ones and do not feel the cold at all. I understand you can get the non insulated ones. THe other thing is that sometimes you can get the odd bit of mud flick up and go down the back of your calf but that is generally an occupational hazard of all wellies that do not do up tightly around the calf.

I will immediately buy another pair when/if these fail.

sikasako

Toggi Wanderer plus. Robust, comfortable and warm as toast £85 from Uttings.
Now on my third pair. First pair bought about fifteen years ago, current pair at least four years old and going strong.
+1 for the Toggi Wanderers
Comfy, durable and good value for money.

Finch

Went through this quandry just before Christmas. Drawn to Aigle Parcours 2. They were easily the lightest and most comfortable but the rubber of the uppers felt very soft and as I'm a commercial hedge layer I could see a a hawthorn spear going straight through them on the first day. Went with Barber Tempest in the end. They were the second most comfortable pair in the shop (better than the Muck boots I'd had before, and they were pretty good) but the rubber felt much thicker and tougher than the Aigles.

They've now seen out the current hedging season unscathed. I'm not a fan of the Barber label but to be fair they've been a fine pair of wellies so far. Comfortable, warm, tough and the soles are flexible with good grip on pretty much all surfaces. (The muck boots were lethal on wet rock or concrete). My only criticism is that the calf straps come undone too easily. Stay away from obstacles and the buckles are fine. They pull tight snugly enough but if they catch on the slightest twig they ping open and clack and rattle, and then the tops go slack and flappy and your trouser legs twist round.
Overall though I'm not displeased with them. They're a robust and comfortable boot and good for all-day walking about. Excellent for shooting.

Rusty Gate

up until a month ago I would have said Skellerup quattro, however the pair I bought a year ago have split across both soles. my wellies are used a lot but nothing out of the ordinary and theres little wear on the tread tbh, to my mind its a manufacturing fault and I will get onto Skellerup themselves. The vendor wants nothing to do with it as they are out of guarantee of course (just by a a week or so!)
A week wont matter, esp if you paid by credit card. You can apply for funds back through not fit for purpose if I remember correctly. Pop see Citizens Advise, its free to find out.

victormeldrew

Many thanks for all the replies.
I have had one pair of Aigle & liked them, but they split after a while (can't remember how long - maybe 2-3 years). I don't feel like paying £160 for wellies, so have ruled them out.
I'm off to the local farm supply shop tomorrow, so will see what he has in stock, but looks like it'll be Skellerup or Dunlop.

victor

andychas

just as an update to this
I contacted Skellerup UK directly regarding the splits. They have been really professional and helpful, and after a very quick exchange of information are replacing the boots with no charge, delivering next day. Im very impressed with the company tbh, it was obviously disappointing to have the boots fail, especially as they've been the best Ive had up to that point. Clearly in all manufacturing things go wrong from time to time and its how a company deals with customers and problems that sets a company apart. 10 out of 10 to Skellerup in my view.