West Wales

walshie

We'll shortly be moving to West Wales. Can anyone give me a rough idea on deer species and/or boar in that part of the country?

All the "maps" show hardly any, but I know they're both there.

Thanks.

No boar ..... yet. The nearest are in SE Wales.

In west Wales there are good numbers of fallow, mostly in the Towy valley between Llandeilo and Carmarthen, or around Margam Park, near Port Talbot.

In much smaller numbers there are reds, roe and muntjac, the latter two species mostly along the extended M4/A40 corridor and there are reds on the Teifi estuary at Cardigan (these may be red x sika hybrids) and possibly also in the St Clears area. Although only just "west" Wales and a fair way from Cardigan, the main area for Welsh reds is the south western Brecon Beacons, roughly Sennybridge in the east to Resolven/Usk Reservoir in the west and there are roughly 200 reds in this area including some big stags.

Having said all this you'll not find getting stalking is easy and you may well have to travel to South East Wales to get any.

Last edited:
Paul's summary is good, but I would say that the numbers of deer outside the Towy and Teifi valleys are tiny compared to the borders and further east; hopefully that will change over time!
Around the Teifi there are both reds and smaller numbers of Sika escapees. There is a focus locally on trying to control the Sika and hybrids to maintain the genetics of the reds: really not sure how practical this is any more.
I have heard absolutely no reports of boar in your area.

Hi Walshie, I'm afraid your going to be a bit dissapointed if your hoping to find any deer or boar stalking around Cardigan, Boar are non existent and Roe, Fallow and muntjac very rarely seen, there were around 40 reds on the Teifi marshes and surrounding farms but the development of an eco friendly glamping site on the adjoining farm has dispersed them and they have been decimated by poachers and dogmen. however if your into foxing there is a much better outlook. I'm from Cardigan and still live near there so if you'd like to know more about the area give me a pm and I'll send you my phone no.
Regards - Twts

Although a bit ago now, I lived in Bettws Ifan about 13 miles up from Cardigan nr Tanigroes for a good many years, My friend and I had permission over about 30K acres back then in the 80's to 90's, we lamped rabbits, shot foxes like they were never ending, but never ever saw any sign of deer. I have family near Cenarth and they are reporting some Munti and roe there now?

Although a bit ago now, I lived in Bettws Ifan about 13 miles up from Cardigan nr Tanigroes for a good many years, My friend and I had permission over about 30K acres back then in the 80's to 90's, we lamped rabbits, shot foxes like they were never ending, but never ever saw any sign of deer. I have family near Cenarth and they are reporting some Munti and roe there now?

That's a good sign then. Our new place is a mile from Cenarth.

Hope you get some permissions and there are deer thereabouts, be interested if you do see deer there?

Back