What’s gone wrong?

Oh boy ! How I wish you'd asked me that the last time I'd 'oiked a stag nigh-on 600 yards across clear-fell......in the freekin dark, it was a feckin nightmare !! Bigger is not always better !

Kind Regards,

'Camodog'.

I never said they weren’t big, just wondering why they haven’t got bigger.
Maybe that’s actually the point, mission accomplished.
I had to take the last big one I shot out in 6 pieces.......never again!

I never said they weren’t big, just wondering why they haven’t got bigger.
Maybe that’s actually the point, mission accomplished.
I had to take the last big one I shot out in 6 pieces.......never again!
Yey, I realised that 'D', just my attempt, however poor, at humour !
My thoughts exactly....never again ! Have a good day !

Kind Regards,
'C'

Scrawny Scottish hill stags (poor food, needing supplements), New Forest Red's get much bigger due to abundent food source

I was just having a 3 beer ponder on the management strategy over the last hundred years or so, primarily in the highlands but anywhere else will do.
The best stags are left to spread their genes annually so it seems logical that there should be some improvement in bodyweights and antler development, but it’s not happening so I was wondering why.
Maybe the management strategy needs a few tweaks?

Or you can conclude that environmental conditions have more of an effect than genetics...

There is a prominently displayed Irish Elk skeleton mockup in Edinburgh too

There is a very nice head up for sale. Nearly 3 metre wingspan! On saleroom.com
If I had the lolly and space . . . . . .

I was just having a 3 beer ponder on the management strategy over the last hundred years or so, primarily in the highlands but anywhere else will do.
The best stags are left to spread their genes annually so it seems logical that there should be some improvement in bodyweights and antler development, but it’s not happening so I was wondering why.
Maybe the management strategy needs a few tweaks?
Millenia of evolution in a particular environment and you think a few disjointed herd management efforts over a hundred years or so would make a difference? They are the biggest side their natural environment can support, simple as that.

They’ve massively introduced non native genetics in NZ..... wapiti.
With the exception of the odd escape, very few non native genes will be contributing to their development over here. Quite frankly we get them big enough in east anglia without making stalkers lives any harder moving the buggers!! Don’t encourage it!
introduced non native genetics??
all the red deer that have ever lived in NZ are non native!

Or you can conclude that environmental conditions have more of an effect than genetics...
I've actually concluded that there's a lot of lip service paid to sound management strategies but far less implementation.
If the best deer had actually been selected and allowed to reproduce then there would be a noticeable improvement iregardless of the environment.

I've actually concluded that there's a lot of lip service paid to sound management strategies but far less implementation.
If the best deer had actually been selected and allowed to reproduce then there would be a noticeable improvement iregardless of the environment.
The best lions reproduce and they haven't improved. Likewise weasels, rabbits, crocodiles, etc., etc., etc.

Actually probably not. As several people have pointed out, UK deer CAN grow huge in the right conditions. The Highlands are really marginal habitat for red deer.

Genes only get you so far - there is a limit imposed by environment.

I should add some context: I am an evolutionary biologist by training, and teach some ecological genetics...

Actually probably not. As several people have pointed out, UK deer CAN grow huge in the right conditions. The Highlands are really marginal habitat for red deer.

I should add some context: I am an evolutionary biologist by training, and teach some ecological genetics...
Evolutionary biologist?
Then you're the very person we've been looking for.
Firstly, agreed that the environmental conditions will impose a limit and lead to an average size best suited to that environment.
However, every deer manager in the UK and particularly in the highlands claims to be leaving the best animals to pass on their genes, a selective breeding programme, yet there doesn't appear to be a corresponding improvement in the managed population.
So what's wrong?

Get away, someone on here spouting a bout a subject they are actually qualified to preach on???? I won’t hear of it.
(what a refreshing change!!)

Evolutionary biologist?
Then you're the very person we've been looking for.
Firstly, agreed that the environmental conditions will impose a limit and lead to an average size best suited to that environment.
However, every deer manager in the UK and particularly in the highlands claims to be leaving the best animals to pass on their genes, a selective breeding programme, yet there doesn't appear to be a corresponding improvement in the managed population.
So what's wrong?
The environment is the limiting factor, come over and find out for yourself, it ain't like the Emerald Isle

Back