What .270 ammo?

wildfowler.250

As above? I've a sako 75 in .270 and I could do with changing the ammo I use in it. I shoot the occasional roe but the ground I can shoot on sometimes has red on it. I get good groups with Norma 110 grain vmax. I've tried 130 grain Norma soft points and also RWS 130 grain soft points but the groups were poor. I've shot 1 stag with the 110 vmax and it dropped on the spot but I'm thinking it's a bit too light for a chest shot? I was thinking of going for 130 ballistic tip,(any recommendations?) or should I just stick to the 110 grain bullets? If anything it's mostly roe I shoot anyway and I'm not too fussed for the front leg damage.

my biggest gripe is trying different brands of ammo. It's expensive and you're always left with several half filled boxes taking up cabinet space if they don't group well!

Thanks!

palmer_mike

As above? I've a sako 75 in .270 and I could do with changing the ammo I use in it. I shoot the occasional roe but the ground I can shoot on sometimes has red on it. I get good groups with Norma 110 grain vmax. I've tried 130 grain Norma soft points and also RWS 130 grain soft points but the groups were poor. I've shot 1 stag with the 110 vmax and it dropped on the spot but I'm thinking it's a bit too light for a chest shot? I was thinking of going for 130 ballistic tip,(any recommendations?) or should I just stick to the 110 grain bullets? If anything it's mostly roe I shoot anyway and I'm not too fussed for the front leg damage.

my biggest gripe is trying different brands of ammo. It's expensive and you're always left with several half filled boxes taking up cabinet space if they don't group well!

Thanks!

110g vmax red stag chest shot? :popcorn:

Tackleberry270

There are not many .270s that won't shoot 130gr ammo. There must be a brand that it likes. I don't know where you are located but I'm sure there are folks with surplus in the cabinet they don't mind you testing with.

monarman

If your rifle shoots the 110 v max accurately them stick with them!!!! There is far too much ***** talked about not using v max on deer. You have already said that the heavier bullets you've tried aren't as accurate... And I'm guessing that from that experience you wouldn't be as confident using them as you are the v max? I know I wouldn't! The fact is.... ALL centerfire rifles will kill deer!!! Put the bullet in the right place and bingo!!!
At respectable stalking ranges of 50 to 200 yards max ( deer are animals not targets chaps) there shouldn't be a factory round available in deer legal calibers available in this country that won't kill a deer. It's primarily down to the man pulling the trigger.

​bottom line is this...... If it works stick with it!!!!!

tig_mig

Ive got a sako 75 s/s and it shoots norma 130 into the tightest group (at least under 1inch at a hundred) winchester soft points were not to bad either as were the remington corelock again both 130grain

moses

110g vmax red stag chest shot? :popcorn:

Yep, good enough for FC Scotland which is apparently why Gregor Mcleod had Norma make the load in the first place.

3215fps and 2525ftlb's at muzzle!

Got this load confused with the 100 Barnes TTSX, apologies.

Last edited:

8x57

Distinguished Member
Yep, good enough for FC Scotland which is apparently why Gregor Mcleod had Norma make the load in the first place.

3215fps and 2525ftlb's at muzzle!

I thought that I had read FC Scotland require lead free ammunition?

palmer_mike

Ttsx a very different bullet to vmax. Ttsx designed as a hunting bullet, vmax is designed as a varmint bullet.

moses

Ttsx a very different bullet to vmax. Ttsx designed as a hunting bullet, vmax is designed as a varmint bullet.

Agreed. I used to get good results with 130grain Gamekings Ferderal vital shock and Winchester ballistic silver tips in 130's always grouped well too and were extremely good on deer.

In the end I was re-loading lots of 130grain bullets, Noslet BT's, Nosler/CT silvertips, Barnes TTSX all performed very well on game.

ATB
Moses

monarman

The 110 vmax shares the same sectional density as the 110 sierra pro hunter and the 110 Barnes tsx.
the former two I use on all deer and are perfect. Yet one is designated a huntining bullet and the other supposedly isn't. As for the Barnes...... Well its copper and until they ban lead or improve on the expandability of copper bullets I'll stick with the other two. Don't like deer running off me!

wildfowler.250

Cheers for the replies! I try some more different 130 grain bullets and see if something comes close to the vmax's. I've only tried a few types so ill give some of the suggested makes a go :thumb:

bewsher500

Cheers for the replies! I try some more different 130 grain bullets and see if something comes close to the vmax's. I've only tried a few types so ill give some of the suggested makes a go :thumb:

try 130gr SST.
Boat Tail, pointy, slippery BC without the explosive expansion

rem284

The best ammo I have used in the 270 was Norma 140 grain ballistic tips(sub .5moa out of my factory remy) If you want to go down the non-lead ammo route the hornady superformance 130 grain are giving me slightly over .5moa. However they seem to be bucking the wind best(early days though, I will have to do some more windy shooting to be sure). I have heard from someone that they shot the hornady over a chrono with a 18" barrel and got 3100fps!

bewsher500

hi guys when did the laws of stalking change to allow us to shoot deer wae ballistic tip ammo!!!

when they started making controlled expansion bullets with "Ballistic" tips to increase BC
both SST and Nosler BT have a controlled cup and core style bullet behind them

UK Outfitters