What .308 ammunition to try in S&L Victory?

stubear

Hi all,

I've recently had my FAC granted (woop woop! :)) and have bought a Schultz & Larsen Victory in .308, topped with a Swaro Z4i 3-12x50.

I absolutely love it and it is great to shoot using Norma 150gr ballistic tips, but I wanted to mine the brains of the SD collective to see if there are any other .308 rounds that I should try?

I've heard good things about Hornady SST 150gr as well so probably will give these a go at some point in the not too distant, but are the SAKO rounds worth a look? A local RFD sells them in 123gr and 180gr loads.

Are there any other cartridges I should check out, or does anyone know if there is a particular brand/weight that the S&L barrels get on well with?

I'm not hugely concerned about price as I'm not banging through 100 rounds a week, but obviously if the cost is lower then thats always a nice thing hehe :)

Thanks all in advance for your help!

8x57

Distinguished Member
Come on Stu you've been knocking around the site long enough to know the stock answer. LOL.
Every barrel is different and there is no magic bullet or ammo suitable for a particular brand of rifle. Schultz & Larsen are a pretty good maker with an enviable reputation for using good barrels. The simple answer is buy different samples in the bullet weight and type that you want to use and try them out in your own rifle. The cost of the bullet or ammunition will have no relevance to the results that you will get.

In plain speak find out what works for you.

Jagare

Hi all,

I've recently had my FAC granted (woop woop! :)) and have bought a Schultz & Larsen Victory in .308, topped with a Swaro Z4i 3-12x50.

I absolutely love it and it is great to shoot using Norma 150gr ballistic tips, but I wanted to mine the brains of the SD collective to see if there are any other .308 rounds that I should try?

I've heard good things about Hornady SST 150gr as well so probably will give these a go at some point in the not too distant, but are the SAKO rounds worth a look? A local RFD sells them in 123gr and 180gr loads.

Are there any other cartridges I should check out, or does anyone know if there is a particular brand/weight that the S&L barrels get on well with?

I'm not hugely concerned about price as I'm not banging through 100 rounds a week, but obviously if the cost is lower then thats always a nice thing hehe :)

Well as money is no big problem go out and buy some different brands and bullet weights and see what your rifle likes. Then you will be as wise as anybody on what your rifle likes. Plus its good for getting used to the new rifle.

stubear

Come on Stu you've been knocking around the site long enough to know the stock answer. LOL.
Every barrel is different and there is no magic bullet or ammo suitable for a particular brand of rifle. Schultz & Larsen are a pretty good maker with an enviable reputation for using good barrels. The simple answer is buy different samples in the bullet weight and type that you want to use and try them out in your own rifle. The cost of the bullet or ammunition will have no relevance to the results that you will get.

In plain speak find out what works for you.
Haha yes very true! :D

This was more in case someone knew that XYZ brand worked best for them in their S&L, or if they had a particular brand they prefer or would avoid, but TBH this gives me the excuse to go down the range and try a load out hehe!

I'll see what I can see!

Thanks all for the help!

Brimfire

Hi all,

Mate of mine has a S&L in .308 and using his rifle I put 5 shots in half inch at 100 using Winchester factory ammo. Couldn't tell you the weight of the bullets but it was better than the home loaded stuff with RS Tac.

stubear

Brief update for those who might be interested!

I've now tried Norma and Federal in 150gr and the 170gr Teilmantel from GECO and they boiled down like this;

1) Norma - The most pricey by far, and also the least comfortable in the shoulder and the loosest grouping in my rifle. Just goes to show cost isnt everything! Group was around 4" at 100x.
2) GECO - Very comfortable to shoot which surprised me as this is the heavier load so I was expecting more recoil. Group was around 3" at 100x so still looser than I would like. The additional grain weight also put the group slightly lower on the target.
3) Federal - Group was 1.5" at 100x and recoil was comfortable. Less snappy than the Norma but very slightly more so than the GECO. Top pick at the moment!

I will also caveat these group sizes by saying this was only the second time I've fired this rifle and I'm still not as comfortable as I would like with it. That said a 1.5" group is also fine for deer stalking purposes so I'm ok in myself taking it stalking using the Federal ammo at this point.

Additional range time is needed to tighten groups up further but it was encouraging to see the groups close up so much just by swapping ammo around. A trip down to Fultons is in order on the weekend to swap out the remaining odds and sods for some Federal I think.

I'm also keen to try the Sako Hammerhead and Hornady SST in 150gr which I'll do as soon as my NRA membership comes through and I can book range time at Bisley!

nick.308

I love 155gr hornady amax , 150 gr Hornady sst, 110gr hornady v max.
All using Vihta vouri N140

Also 110gr sierra varminter (Hollow point)

You were asking for a general "all rounder" load which loads of people on here are unhelpful with! because every rifle is different blah blah blah. But basically there are general good loads to try because that is what factory ammo is!

Between 4 different .308s I use the hornady amax 150gr with 44.4gr N140 Vihta vouri powder is a consistent grouper less than 1"
I think the 150gr sst's are the same with the same load too. They are what me and my mates all use for stalking and we all have different .308's but use the same load so that says a lot.
I havnt got a clue what the twist rate is in my rifles but it is quite important. Having said that 150 gr is middle of the range weight so if your rifle not shoot 150gr accurately somethings up!

EMcC

Try some PPU you may be lucky and find that your rifle likes that ammo.
I have been very lucky as I have found that PPU suits all my calibres tried so far.

Brief update for those who might be interested!

I've now tried Norma and Federal in 150gr and the 170gr Teilmantel from GECO and they boiled down like this;

1) Norma - The most pricey by far, and also the least comfortable in the shoulder and the loosest grouping in my rifle. Just goes to show cost isnt everything! Group was around 4" at 100x.
2) GECO - Very comfortable to shoot which surprised me as this is the heavier load so I was expecting more recoil. Group was around 3" at 100x so still looser than I would like. The additional grain weight also put the group slightly lower on the target.
3) Federal - Group was 1.5" at 100x and recoil was comfortable. Less snappy than the Norma but very slightly more so than the GECO. Top pick at the moment!

I will also caveat these group sizes by saying this was only the second time I've fired this rifle and I'm still not as comfortable as I would like with it. That said a 1.5" group is also fine for deer stalking purposes so I'm ok in myself taking it stalking using the Federal ammo at this point.

Additional range time is needed to tighten groups up further but it was encouraging to see the groups close up so much just by swapping ammo around. A trip down to Fultons is in order on the weekend to swap out the remaining odds and sods for some Federal I think.

I'm also keen to try the Sako Hammerhead and Hornady SST in 150gr which I'll do as soon as my NRA membership comes through and I can book range time at Bisley!

Stu - I just bought my second .308 after boring myself with my old Tikka T3 - I bought a Mauser M12 Impact. I'm with you on the Norma ballistic tip stuff. I have found it to be exceptionally erratic for £47 a box.

norma - loose groups circa 2-3"
fedeal - tighter circa 1-1.5"
RWS - key holing with the odd flier to an inch
Winchester - as with RWS

all 150 grain