WHAT 4X4 to upgrade to!!!!!!!

jonny.c

Right people just want to know your view on some of the new 4x4 out ther what do you own and what problems ect I have a fourtrak and it's time for a new 4x4 at some point as I can put it though work.. (Yes I know I would most prob be better off keeping the fourtrak)

atb
jon

The tramp

Been abusing a '58 plate hilux since new, 95% off road use, rear brakes take a hammering, but they are getting filled with gritty water 10-12 times a day up to headlight depth. Prop uj is the only issue really other than normal servicing, now at 78k miles.

If it was my money, I'd spend it on a hilux.

Pete

Pedro

I guess we'll need to know what uses you'll put it to.

Will it do a lot of road use, lots of off road use, over hill and dale or just the odd field? What else will it do? Double as a family car? Is a pickup in the frame? Do you want it to do posh as well? Will it tow? Does it have to have masses of luggage space? Do you need 7 seats? Is MPG important? There's everything from a Fiat Panda 4X4 to a full fat Range Rover and everything in between that COULD fit your remit.

jonny.c

It will be used for everything from towing vehicles/trailers off roading for the shoot abused for logging and lots of hours in bad terrain. Defo not a rangerover utter poo unless I can employ an ex landy technician.. Would rather keep my fourtrak
(Had a 90 TD5 200bhp I wish I never sold)

Last edited:

Pedro

Hmm. Looking at your previous history you like the Fourtrak/Discovery sort of vehicle. Not sure I'd recommend a new Discovery. They are very much improved in the reliability department (eventually), but cost an absolute fortune these days. Certainly a better bet than a Range Rover (unless your kids go to school in Chelsea). Maybe a Nissan Pathfinder?

If you decide on a pickup, from all accounts these days you can't get better than a Hilux or an Isuzu. You could always go back to what you liked and get a Defender before they stop making them. Might even appreciate rather than depreciate!

Some left field suggestions: VW Amorok, BMW X5, or how about getting a nice sports saloon, a Beemer or a Merc and keep the Fourtrak?

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
Go isuzu for what describe great workhorses
I've an old trooper for the donkey work
and a freelander for posh lol
regards Pete

Don't buy an l200 none stop garage bills and big ones at that so far my 57 plate new shape with 50000 on the clock has had two new leaf springs
problem with 4 wd
wheel baring
new radiator
new cylinder head gasket
plus all standard things like disc's pads and servicing
far from happy

mark@mbb

I have an 07 old shape L200 from new and never had any problems, at all by this time they had solved any issues with that shape a new truck came with new problems. Mine has been up most hills valley and mountains, within a 100 mile range of Manchester, it carried foxhounds for the first few years of it life

Whitebeard

My shooting partner has a 55 plate old style L200 and has also not had any problems with it al all, we have been everywhere in it including fording the river trent

Ian.

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
A bog standard and unmodified 90 Defender will do everything that any other vehicle will do and will only go up in value when they are no longer made.

Wingy

Been abusing a '58 plate hilux since new, 95% off road use, rear brakes take a hammering, but they are getting filled with gritty water 10-12 times a day up to headlight depth. Prop uj is the only issue really other than normal servicing, now at 78k miles.

If it was my money, I'd spend it on a hilux.

Pete
Same here, have a 57 plate HL2 King cab, coming up to 70,000 miles no issues - timing belt light came on at 65,000 but it's been well hammered
Wingy

geoshot

If you aren't planning on being up to the wheel hubs in liquid mud then a Disco 4 could fit your plans.
I have one, it's great for carrying gear, drives like a car - dead comfortable.
You'll be lucky to ever get better than 30mpg though, more like 25 most of the time, and that big tank needs more than £100 of diesel to fill it. They're not a cheap run about that's for sure.

It's a great vehicle let down by the wheels, since LR seriously focused on the school-run & gangsta mob they fit toy tyres to their range.
Even with 19 inch rims on the D4 (the smallest it'll take without modification) it's just about impossible to get serious tyres on the things. When the going gets soft and deeply so, the Disco 4 get's stuck unless you're very careful.....
Pity, cos otherwise there's very little else which stops that car of mine, if it can get grip it uses it, but it's unreliable in deep mud as the tyre treads just clog up way too quickly.

If they made a version which could run with 16 or 17 inch rims they could be near perfect

Bavarianbrit

How about a Tesla X?
You will have to wait for a year before they become available then a 100K£ bill to pay but after that you will have no more fuel bill as recharging the batteries will be free at Tesla stations.
I was based in the development office in Fremont for the last 3 months.
Martin