What a cop out!

Donkey Basher

Prompted by my BASC membership card hitting the door at yesterday I thought I'd have a look on their website to see what I could find out about taking a rifle to France, where I have a friend who has invited me boar shooting.

This is what their website says:

"This page has been constructed to provide avenues to follow; BASC is not able to advise on foreign laws due to the complexity of keeping our library accurately up to date. Definitive answers about foreign firearms and hunting laws should be obtained from the embassy or consulate of the country concerned."

When I click on the area of the page that says France I get taken to a page in French (not surprising I appreciate) not even a translation provided by BASC.

So as a recognised shooting body they take my subs & provide diddly squat as regards helpful & useable advice to me as a member on what I need to do to take a rifle over to France post Brexit.

Fair enough they state they can't be responsible for external content but at least they could outline the process in clear & simple terms - like a simple flow chart, & add the caveat that members should check to be certain the information is up to date!

Seriously unimpressed!

baguio

Prompted by my BASC membership card hitting the door at yesterday I thought I'd have a look on their website to see what I could find out about taking a rifle to France, where I have a friend who has invited me boar shooting.

This is what their website says:

"This page has been constructed to provide avenues to follow; BASC is not able to advise on foreign laws due to the complexity of keeping our library accurately up to date. Definitive answers about foreign firearms and hunting laws should be obtained from the embassy or consulate of the country concerned."

When I click on the area of the page that says France I get taken to a page in French (not surprising I appreciate) not even a translation provided by BASC.

So as a recognised shooting body they take my subs & provide diddly squat as regards helpful & useable advice to me as a member on what I need to do to take a rifle over to France post Brexit.

Fair enough they state they can't be responsible for external content but at least they could outline the process in clear & simple terms - like a simple flow chart, & add the caveat that members should check to be certain the information is up to date!

Seriously unimpressed!
If you can't be bothered to check the current situation for yourself then you're clearly heading for a fall. Laws and rules change all the time. How many countries would you like BASC to cover? There are several out there. If BASC didn't update their site quickly enough when a rule or law changed someone would moan that they used their guidance and couldn't travel so it's BASC's fault and would probably try to litigate against them.
Try to find another organisation that does what you ask for the few quid you spend on membership. You'll be searching a long time!
Stop moaning and do your own leg work would be my advice.

baguio

Perhaps the point is rather that you can find other organisations with don't off this service either - but which cost less?
And probably don't offer other stuff too. Pay less, get less is a pretty good guide in this world.

andyk

I can't see there's much BASC can do in this situation, not without either throwing a huge amount of members resources at ensuring the content is completely correct or placing themselves at risk of litigation.

Even translating the page would bring issues. They would be implicitly vouching for the quality of the translation and would need to regularly check that the French source hadn't been altered, necessitating a new translation being done.

Any attempt to put up non-advisory guidance is trouble waiting to happen. How many people who find themselves on the wrong side of another country's firearms laws after following that guidance do you think would still seek to blame BASC by saying the information should have been accurate?

When it comes to legal advice, it either needs to be correct or not given. Giving people a nudge in the right direction while maintaining that it is not advice to be relied on is useless. Sensible people will know not to follow it and so will have to do all of the research again, and discount the 'guidance', and the less cautious will just rely on it, leading back to the situation above.

Highfield

come on how could you reasonably expect a group to have advise on international stuff i think there are about 250 countries in the world should basc know about the rules in all of them. if they did offer some advise and it was wrong or had changed they would be hung drawn and quartered. looks like you are just looking for a whinge to be honest

Dalua

And probably don't offer other stuff too. Pay less, get less is a pretty good guide in this world.
If the other stuff these cheaper organisations don't offer includes 'negotiation' with FLD and HO of the kind that got us into a situation where the entire shooting public has to pay for medical practitioners to get involved in FAC/SGC processing, then it sounds as though less might in fact be more.

baguio

If the other stuff these cheaper organisations don't offer includes 'negotiation' with FLD and HO of the kind that got us into a situation where the entire shooting public has to pay for medical practitioners to get involved in FAC/SGC processing, then it sounds as though less might in fact be more.
Well that a load of Horlicks for a start! I renewed at the start of the year and there was no mention of it!
So the other shooting organisations get a thumbs up from you for doing absolutely nothing then do they? I wish my boss worked on the same principle!

baguio

Does that surprise you?
Well you're the one saying "the entire shooting public has to pay for medical practitioners to get involved in FAC/SGC processing" which just isn't true at all.
What doesn't surprise me in the slightest that people on here are talking rubbish and embarrassing themselves again.