What a day out

This morning saw myself and Cumbrian1 head to Scotland for a crack at getting ourselves a goat.After a few recommendations from a few lads on here we decided to take Alan from Gallaway field sports up on his offer of day out Readng a few posts from others a few have added that there easy and a friend also made a comment there like shooting fish in a barrell.Well all I and im sure Cumbrian 1 will agree that couldn't be farther from the truth or at least with these lot in the cliffs above Stranraer.We parked at a farm and our plan was to head further down the coast and work our way back up the coast into the wind.After a little while we clocked a Nanny last year's kid and this year's kid feeding we sat and watched hoping they would walk on around the corner and join the rest if they were there. They had other ideas and sat down to chew there cud.Plan B head back and up the field and cut back in the other side hoping they wouldnt wind us.Luckily they didn't but the rest of the gang weren't there she must of just split from the main herd for a bit of piece and quiet.A good walk up the headland for a few miles and tbh I was losing hope thinking perhaps the nanny and co were perhaps behind and not in front.We Carried on bumping numerous roe and also a fox.After a while we clocked a group of around 20 goats grazing and sitting out in the sun.We had to then try and close the gap of around 400 metres on our Bellys.We closed the gap slowly hoping to get within range but sadly they clocked something wasn't right and was away further around the cliff tops.On we went hoping they wouldn't get to far and present a shot after a while we spotted them and back on our bellys clos IMG_20210621_094330.jpg ed the gap.Steady away we soon managed to get close enough to allow us both to shoot one a piece at range.After the usual pictures and gralloch ect we awaited Alan's son to come back he had headed to the farm to fetch the bike for the retrieval.Awesome day awesome company that's me taken all of our UK. Species now the Cape is off to walshy for mounting and the meat will be shared out as most of us are intrigued as to what it tastes like I'll let you know. IMG-20210621-WA0007.jpg

Cumbrian 1

@magnificent 7 thanks for the invite, a great day full of wonderful memories. To hunt big billies along the coastal cliffs was magical. We had the Irish coast as well as the mull of kyntyre in view. It was 6 hours of walking but the scenery and craic made it seem like a short walk.

We certainly worked hard for our trophies and Alan and his son were great hosts I would certainly recommend Galloway Country Sports.

Stalker1962

Well done.

I have never shot goat before, but am away up to the Islands in August to have a crack.

Your writeup makes no mention of the appalling stink, that (apparently), accompanies these animals?

Also interested in what calibre you used.

Magnificent 7

Well done.

I have never shot goat before, but am away up to the Islands in August to have a crack.

Your writeup makes no mention of the appalling stink, that (apparently), accompanies these animals?

Also interested in what calibre you used.
The smell isn't to bad no worse than a red I used a 308 125grain Sierra gameking Cumbrian1 used a 7mm with 168 grain berger bullet.They drop fairly easy but if yours are anything like ours be prepared for a long ISH shot.

Magnificent 7

The smell isn't to bad no worse than a red I used a 308 125grain Sierra gameking Cumbrian1 used a 7mm with 168 grain berger bullet.They drop fairly easy but if yours are anything like ours be prepared for a long ISH shot.
On another note I skinned him off and butchered it's lovely meat quite surprised tbh had curry goat last night for tea