what cal. 17

bobjs

right my wee 20 tac sako seems to not be wanted so if you where going to change the tube? what cal would you go for.

this i admit would be to sell it on as i have the only 2 rifles i need, those being atikka 595 in 20 tac and tikka 595 in 6mmbr,

so it could be a 222,223,20prc,223 akers, 204,17;17rem fireball etc etc.

ideas please, what would your choice be

bob.

Woodsmoke

I'm in the process of renewing just now. I sold my 22-250 in favour of .223. I also have .22 and .270 and the 22-250 was just too much gun for what I needed. I reckon the .223 would sell on easily, too

20-250

Why spend the money, Bob? At over £800 for a rebarrel, you would certainly not add anything like that to the value of the rifle.

bobjs

If you really are going that way Bob, .... .220 Swift?:eek:

i like the sound of a 220 swift, but what i am worried about is if i like it it may well stay, after all the only reason it’s being thought about is i have 2 rifles in the same calibre, if they were different then a doubt very much that it would be going in the first place,

i am i have had them in the past and as 20:250 states it may not be worth the effort were as if its a new/ diffeant cal i may well keep,it.

but thank you

bob.

20-250

The Sako 491 action you have has the wrong boltface and is too short to accommodate the .220 Swift.

bobjs

The Sako 491 action you have has the wrong boltface and is too short to accommodate the .220 Swift.

not a problem when you have a man that can, but i would have ask him to see if it possible,

just over 3mm difference in the case head size?

but as you well know there is more to be taken into concideration than just that.

bob

Last edited:

bobjs

Wrong bolt face

Edit; tha'll learn me for not reading to the end

hi boydy

the issue is the aol, the bolt could be opened out and could be used for a shorter round, i have a slot for a 22 br but not sure i need another br,

vov.

25 Sharps

hi boydy

the issue is the aol, the bolt could be opened out and could be used for a shorter round, i have a slot for a 22 br but not sure i need another br,

vov.

Only if there is enough for the ejector to still work, I realise the action is the small action also, I briefly owned one! I’d go .223 AI as I’m really liking mine!

Is gis his for you or to sell it on? .223 will give you the chance of moving on in the future in an 8 or 9 twist

Cottis

Can you get a barrel real cheap with the work also being done for little money? If not, I would say just significantly reduce the price of the .20cal to 200quid or something to get shot. Someone must have a slot somewhere, especially if you advertise it on a Varmint forum rather than a stalking oriented site. How about offering it as a proper cheap trade in to a gun shop for an item you need/want?

How much is a re-barreled old Sako going to be in a popular calibre? I suppose that is the question you need to ask yourself and then do the maths from there. But yeah, if it makes sense money wise, it has to be a ubiquitous chambering in order to avoid the sale issues you presently have.

bobjs

Got a good .223 take off barrel that could be fitted Bob

morning neil.

I will call you on Monday,

thanks for,doing the br, tested it last night with the zeiss on it and then i will fit the drone over this weekend, arm held out ok until i smacked it on the back door of the truck..........€§¥$€§$¥€? a few choice words slipped out.

bob

View attachment 99418

Last edited: