What causes bent skulls?

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

deerstalker.308

Boiled out a roe buck which had been in the freezer since the summer. Wasn’t until it was clean it became apparent it was bent, I’ve seen this before on here but can’t find it using the search function, anyone care to tell me what causes this? Is it genetic? Injury? 8FDFB3BC-EC33-49D3-9065-D98E02E24DA2.jpeg 32A98E8E-7F05-4DE5-87BF-81B1CD955DED.jpeg 55259CAF-280A-4158-8C2B-8BDDE7AC386B.jpeg

tusker

I have a Blesbok skull similar to this .I shot it in SA about 10 or 12 years ago.The general opinion was , is, that it gets deformed while in the womb but I stand to be corrected. Having foaled probably 200 foals in my career I have seen this only once in horses.
Tusker

Henns

It seems really common in Chinese Water Deer, not as severe as your example, but the noses are rarely straight.

Freeforester

Istr this is a subject of some detailed research which was published in the BDS ‘Deer’ magazine some years ago; I’ve forgotten the conclusions of the research scientists, but an enquiry with BDS or a trawl through their back catalogue might provide an answer.

deerstalker.308

Istr this is a subject of some detailed research which was published in the BDS ‘Deer’ magazine some years ago; I’ve forgotten the conclusions of the research scientists, but an enquiry with BDS or a trawl through their back catalogue might provide an answer.
After a friend also directed me to the BDS article it’s called

Campylognathie.​

Cheers for the input chaps

Mr. Gain

After a friend also directed me to the BDS article it’s called

Campylognathie.​

Cheers for the input chaps
That looks to me like Greek for "wonky-jawedness"!

Without meaning to resurrect any old slurs, I wonder if "campy" meaning "bent" sheds any light on the mysterious etymology of gay "camp" - coined perhaps by some classicist with a penchant for Greek love?

Turkish

Deerstalker 308,

These are pictures of a head I prepped last summer for a friend. He shot it, as a cull animal, up here in the Norfolk region. Nothing unusual observed before the shot, apart from the lack of a good head.

IMG-20200630-WA0013.jpg 20200630_202333 (1).jpg
I boiled it out , as he wanted it for a 'poorest head from the region' competition. It was then that the unusual twist in the nose became obvious.

I had seen this before, in park deer, and at the time, Peter Green - the BDS vigenary consultant - had indeed written a piece in the journal about it.
I passed these recent pictures onto the BDS deer officer Glyn, and I believe they may well have appeared in a journal from last year.
IMG-20200630-WA0003.jpeg IMG-20200630-WA0006.jpeg
Various explanations have been given in the past for this defect. Genetics, birthing problem, delayed growth. Even the possibility that it follows the coreolis effect North and south of the equator.................unproven.

IMG-20200630-WA0008.jpeg

It still remains an enigma, as it occurs all over the world, in many species and genus.

deerstalker.308

Deerstalker 308,

These are pictures of a head I prepped last summer for a friend. He shot it, as a cull animal, up here in the Norfolk region. Nothing unusual observed before the shot, apart from the lack of a good head.

View attachment 195048 View attachment 195047
I boiled it out , as he wanted it for a 'poorest head from the region' competition. It was then that the unusual twist in the nose became obvious.

I had seen this before, in park deer, and at the time, Peter Green - the BDS vigenary consultant - had indeed written a piece in the journal about it.
I passed these recent pictures onto the BDS deer officer Glyn, and I believe they may well have appeared in a journal from last year.
View attachment 195041 View attachment 195042
Various explanations have been given in the past for this defect. Genetics, birthing problem, delayed growth. Even the possibility that it follows the coreolis effect North and south of the equator.................unproven.

View attachment 195043

It still remains an enigma, as it occurs all over the world, in many species and genus.
Well I think we can discount the coreolis effect, given both yours and mine were in east anglia, and bend in different directions, unless one of them is a pesky illegal immigrant roe from the Southern Hemisphere?

243 Stalker

DS,

I took this buck back in 2013 in SW Scotland. It looked like it had sustained an injury to the right side of its face at some point, so not sure if this was the cause.

ATB 243 Stalker

Attachments

• 33DDDBCB-47C6-403C-9CD1-E1E5657BB0B6.jpeg
    33DDDBCB-47C6-403C-9CD1-E1E5657BB0B6.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 543038BA-51CD-4D73-B7CC-867E2ED0B491.jpeg
    543038BA-51CD-4D73-B7CC-867E2ED0B491.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 26

South of the M4

Boiled out a roe buck which had been in the freezer since the summer. Wasn’t until it was clean it became apparent it was bent, I’ve seen this before on here but can’t find it using the search function, anyone care to tell me what causes this? Is it genetic? Injury?
The term you are looking for is wry nose. Plenty of interweb info with this term. Widely seen as a genetic issue, the nasal septum often also bent/twisted, can cause breathing difficulties in extreme cases, but has no bearing on the fitness to enter the food chain on its own.

Leica Amplus 6