What do I do with it now?

oowee

My house has to remain a trophy free zone. I have managed to get a Baboon skull and Zebra skin through the cordon but only after endless negotiation. I have a series of heads in my deer prep room which are replaced periodically (apart from my first) as I get better ones. The majority of the antlers are put in a box and for sale.
Earlier in the summer I managed a nice roe buck and took the carcass to the dealer who keeps the cape of larger specimens for use on shoulder mounts and in return gives me the cleaned heads. On seeing the head the dealer said I had to get it measured and eventually I agreed in part to keep him quiet. :rolleyes:

Back today with a couple of deer to be told that the head had been measured (£40 with the cleaning???). It was given a score and is a respectable head which came complete with a certificate and medal. Nice as it is I can't help thinking why did I bother. It will no doubt take its place amongst the others, in the prep shed but other than that it does not do anything for me. At the same time I find myself not bothering now with the 'Trophy' photo.

Am i missing something here?

sauer

Define trophy

So I’m assuming reason is your other half ?

If so does she eat the venison ?

Guess I’m lucky .... wife was happy for head on wall and I can sit of an evening with a in front of log burner and look up and have a reminder of a brilliant day on the hill and with my brother too .....
So for some it’s ok to fill the freezer but if I sit and do above I’m a trophy hunter ?

I didn’t make that up it was paraphrased by someone cleverer than me on here previously ...

A point well made .

Marriage / relationships are about balance, give & take............

Paul

oowee

House is minimalist white walls wooden floor, no ornaments only art works, you get the picture. Zebra skin looks the part in the bedroom :p but a set of antlers on the wall would look out of place hence the prep shed. The point I am trying to get to is that the trophy side of thing for some is an important part of the hunting and for me it just does not feature. At the same time I am not sure that I should be putting medal trophies for dog chews.

I am off to Africa again in April and will be taking a rifle but I don't want to shoot anything with 'Trophy' value as it would be wasted. I would like a nice Gazelle for the other side of the bed but otherwise not a lot. The guides think I am being a cheap skate wanting to do bush pig, bushbuck, baboon and jackel. :rofl:

PKL

The real trophy is the memory of the hunt, honestly who cares about the wall mounts, I’ve sold most of mine apart from the very memorable ones which I keep in my office, but in reality, even if they were not there,
I probably wouldn’t notice, they’re just skulls and antlers..

The meat and joy of hunting and cooking with the meat is the real trophy.

Wouldn’t let it upset my marriage tbh, not worth it. After all, it’s just a sport, and of course, for some a living.

Musketeer

House is minimalist white walls wooden floor, no ornaments only art works, you get the picture. Zebra skin looks the part in the bedroom :p but a set of antlers on the wall would look out of place hence the prep shed. The point I am trying to get to is that the trophy side of thing for some is an important part of the hunting and for me it just does not feature. At the same time I am not sure that I should be putting medal trophies for dog chews.

I am off to Africa again in April and will be taking a rifle but I don't want to shoot anything with 'Trophy' value as it would be wasted. I would like a nice Gazelle for the other side of the bed but otherwise not a lot. The guides think I am being a cheap skate wanting to do bush pig, bushbuck, baboon and jackel. :rofl:

I am hoping to get into Deer Stalking, and I would like to put a head on the wall,...but, hand on heart, it just wouldn't fit within the decor. Also, I work hard to ensure that the foster children in our care have no idea that there are guns in the house. The head of a Deer,...might be hard to explain.

However, trophy photographs, in an album,...that's my way forward.

Richiepolecat

Not sure what the point of the post is, if you don't appreciate a good head, then don't shoot them. Whether an actual medal or not doesn't matter to me, I have all my heads up in the house. Wife is happy as it's both our house and we like different things.
I have a shoulder mounted roe, missed out on a medal but it's a medal to me and a thing of beauty. Wife was unsure but loves it now.

johngryphon

There is always the men`s shed outside and away from 'her' I don`t bother boiling the shed heads,flies and time sort it out,I lay them on a large tree block and chop them down with the axe...........taxidermied models go inside as they should too.
An old ramshackle shed is the place for them here.
When it comes to deer antlers etc my missus can say all she likes but wont as she knows she is wasting her time.

Attachments

foxdropper

I wonder sometimes what sort of relationship involves one person telling another what to do .
Maybe I’ve been very lucky or just maybe it would of been that way anyway or I’d be single .
If the other half’s views contradict your own so robustly ,I can’t see a way forward but like I said ,I’ve been spoilt .
5373315A-D5CA-46E0-9327-EB89577DC0B8.jpegFCAA9096-E156-420E-A1F7-018D5AF4F1A5.jpegE0344194-8D0F-409E-936D-03BE8F70B288.jpeg

johngryphon

what sort of relationship involves one person telling another what to do .
Well it usually starts off well then after a few years when they realise that the ave bloke will crawl on his knees just to get a whiff of it and they then have the upper hand.....then schitt hits the fan and She that is loved soon becomes SWMBO

Never worked with me,I just went and got another one.

Steve curry

My gun room has all sorts of stuff in it fox.badger.roe etc.cant wait till I get a boars head up on the wall.the wife just sakes her head and walks out.bless her one in a million