What do people currently think about .222 Remington?

Sorry but I just read “ a doe hit squarely bounced off and got away “?? Surely if it got away you’ve no idea if your shot was spot on ??
I’d anticipated that response, but the range was 60 yards at best so ‘no idea’ overstates it. :worried:
It’s possible the bullet could have hit the shoulder bone, but without recovering it there’s no way of knowing.
The only safe conclusion for me is that this wouldn’t have happened with a heavier calibre.

I’d anticipated that response, but the range was 60 yards at best so ‘no idea’ overstates it. :worried:
It’s possible the bullet could have hit the shoulder bone, but without recovering it there’s no way of knowing.
The only safe conclusion for me is that this wouldn’t have happened with a heavier calibre.
Funny you should say that . Shot a roe buck about 10 years ago with 7mm classic chest shot went down like hit by a train , halfway down highseat it got up and wandered off back into wood , gave it some time , went and had a look , bright blood everywhere and lung blood , never found it till a month later rotting down 250 yards into thick cover into wood god knows how it got there , sometimes it just happens .......

Where do you draw the line? The 22 Hornet makes a dandy roe rifle for sheltered woodland stalking but I wouldn't use it on the open Hill for roe.

K

Used one on Fallow when I was young and before legislation came in. Did the job, no complaints.
A keeper friend in Ireland used his on Sika. Another friend reckoned he could load a K Hornet up to legal for Scottish Roe.

I’m a 222 advocate without a doubt . I have a circa 1958 Remington 722 in 222 my maternal grandfather bought new . I also have a CZ527 in what they call a HB also in 222 . Granted the CZ has about a six ounce RifleBasix trigger and a Leupold 36x on top . But it did pretty well the last time I had it out . 3F560E6B-BCB7-49CF-A20D-8F770727ABA4.jpeg I’m quite sure it’ll do better I’ve just not been able to get back to the range since . My almost 84 year old father takes ALL my time , might reopen the 90 yard range here at the house . I was almost able to get a circa 1974 Remington 40-X in 222 at the Rock Island Auction today but missed out .

There’s a small company in the USA called “Bart’s Bullets” that makes a pretty decent product . Someone had given me a 100 box of their original 22 cal 52 grain match . About a month ago I ordered 1,000 of the same bullet and 100 each of two other 22 cal 52 grainers they make . Have them sitting on my loading bench just waiting to be loaded for the CZ or quite possibly a nice older 40-X bench gun !

Have been fiddling at bit with loads for my .222. Have settled on this for the present:
20.3gr ADI 2207 (H4198, VV N130 equivalent) under a 50gr Hornady Z-Max. Use Lapua cases and CCI 400 SR primers.

TkMcTXE.jpg

Decided on upper right group ;). After sight adjustment fired three more at the bull. After the first two hits I started too pee my pants and pulled the third.

oPteHyp.jpg

Cheers

.222 is imo the best round ever.

I loved mine and will have another. Mine shot single hole groups at 100mtr or a rest all day long. Dropped large bucks with ease and was brilliant on foxes.

I only ever used Sako gamehead 55's in it.

I have had a 222 for 20 yrs and bee around the 223 mob not a lot in the ballistics and the foxes are just as dead as well as the roe all about shot placement why not get a 223 rem and run with the rest of the flock sheep will be sheep lol

Just go for it! I have two .223s but bought a second-hand Sako AI in .222. Wonderful rifle, scaled down in size to match the cartridge. No one size fits all here. Just love walking the hills looking for foxes with this rifle.

Cheers

Sako A1 in.222 lovely rifle lovely calibre.

Back