What do you do with the hide?

I've kept a couple of nice ones in the freezer, awaiting a time when I can get around to curing them. Other than that they get ditched.

I've never had any luck with them, the hairs always shed loads. Would be interested if anyone has had more success.

You can buy a curing kit if you want to try it. One used to be advertised on here.

I have read that the size of the animals brain is perfectly matched to the amount needed to cure the hide if you are doing it old school.

I gave a hide to a leather worker to cure and thought it would establish a useful way to use them, but sadly he decided against doing any others.

So I have either burned or buried.

Alan

Fly fishermen find them handy if they tie their own flies.
I once gave one to a fishing club and they pinned it to the wall of club house for any of their members to help themselves.
It must have been the height of the fishing season as it didn't last very long !

Fly fishermen find them handy if they tie their own flies.
I once gave one to a fishing club and they pinned it to the wall of club house for any of their members to help themselves.
It must have been the height of the fishing season as it didn't last very long !

Indeed. I tie up chum mixer doppelgangers for surface carp fishing on the fly rod. It's hilarious (the fishing, not the fly tying)

Im going to sound like a hillbilly now but my wife processes the nicer hides of mine (Fallow mainly), they turn out nicely now and she sells most of them for good money. Flesh them first, then salt till dry and then some voodoo curing kit (brain tanning is the traditional method) goes on in various stages finished with a bit of sanding. They can molt a bit and aren't really suited to hard wear and tear areas. It's a bit off faffing about but I like the fact it's another part not wasted. She just learnt from youtube videos etc and most of our house is cluttered er I mean adorned 2ith various deer, cow and sheep skins.

Back