What is a good buy from the USA?

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

Philwilk

I am going to Florida on business next week and I hope to make it to the Bass Pro shop in Miami.

What are sensible, cost effective (and legal) things to buy whilst I am there? I don't need clothing.

Any suggestions most welcome!

Phil

Fabnosh

Hi there

To keep it simple, I've always found good deals on brass (even Lapua and Norma seemed much cheaper - must be a market volume factor) and dies and never had any issues with these in hold luggage or with customs this end.

Hope that helps.

FN

pitnie

I got a cracking Khales scope for 70% of the uk price in Bass Pro, but all the scopes were signif cheaper than UK.

Pitnie

Philwilk

I wondered whether brass constituted a 'restricted item' for which you needed suitable export/import paperwork?

Phil

Fabnosh

Well, I've just taken look and it would appear that you are correct and an export license is required for brass but not dies. Well there you go. Stick to dies. I must have got lucky.

FN

I wondered whether brass constituted a 'restricted item' for which you needed suitable export/import paperwork?

Phil

YoungGun

In the same vein, would there be any issue with a third party bringing me back non expanding bullets? (Not loaded ammo, just the projectile)

You input would be appreciated...

Mike

BSAvale

I am going to Florida on business next week and I hope to make it to the Bass Pro shop in Miami.

What are sensible, cost effective (and legal) things to buy whilst I am there? I don't need clothing.

Any suggestions most welcome!

Phil

​Are you going to the basspro in Ft Lauderdale or Miami? I went to the FL one in may...it is enormous, you need at least 3 hours there! Knives can be cheap, duck calls are cheap and fishing gear is really cheap.

Kalahari

Aren't some scopes restricted? Something to do with magnification and possible military (of the unofficial kind) use, so that might be worth checking. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me if I am wrong.

David.

Philwilk

I am going to do an exhibition at Miami Beach so i believe that it is the one in Miami, about 27 miles from Miami Beach. Just hope that I get enough time.....

I love knives but have plenty, would like a pair of 8x30 binos for sticking in my pocket.....you can never have too many pairs of bins!

Phil

White Hart

The FL Bass Pro is a bit more fishing related than some of the more inland stores but still a very good selection of hunting gear. I've always found accessories a good bet, coats, trousers, boots all are good value. The company I work for has a base in FL so get out there every now and then, my mate was out there just the other week and he picked me up a S4 lockdown gear binocular caddy love it very nice piece of kit keeps the bins nice and safe but still quickly accessible. Do love the big Bass Pro stores you can loose loads of time in them! Make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to have a good look about.

JTO

Have look at a Sightron siii 30mm10-50x60mm scope. In general, you seem to pay the same in $s as you would pay in £s over here, but you get c$1.5 for each £1. If BassPro of Cabelas send it, you might have taxes to pay on top of their price.

baguio

I saved a lot on a pair of range finders recently. All optics will save you quite a bit of money but then so will most things! Make a list of what you need and buy everything that you can easily bring back and you will not go far wrong! And 3 hours will be cutting it fine IMO! Find everything on your list and then browse would be my advice. Finally get yourself a 'Post Office' credit card or a similar one that charges nothing for converting the exchange rate. This alone could be costly otherwise.
Have fun
Baguio

Glendine

I saved a lot on a pair of range finders recently. All optics will save you quite a bit of money but then so will most things! Make a list of what you need and buy everything that you can easily bring back and you will not go far wrong! And 3 hours will be cutting it fine IMO! Find everything on your list and then browse would be my advice. Finally get yourself a 'Post Office' credit card or a similar one that charges nothing for converting the exchange rate. This alone could be costly otherwise.
Have fun
Baguio

Now that's what I call advice especially when it come to the currency conversion.

​Glendine.

BSAvale

I am going to do an exhibition at Miami Beach so i believe that it is the one in Miami, about 27 miles from Miami Beach. Just hope that I get enough time.....

I love knives but have plenty, would like a pair of 8x30 binos for sticking in my pocket.....you can never have too many pairs of bins!

Phil

we went to Miami beach...there is a really tacky Jungle Bar thing, but it has stunning waitresses so worth a visit.

We also walked along Miami Beach, then noticed a lack of women in one bit and rainbow flags...probably best to avoid that bit lol!

ndt man

Aren't some scopes restricted? Something to do with magnification and possible military (of the unofficial kind) use, so that might be worth checking. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will correct me if I am wrong.

David.
only mil spec scopes and night vision scopes

Von

Hi Phil I hope all is well?

I went to both shops in April! The FL store is by far the better store. Taxi ride from Miami beach.

​cheers allan

Philwilk

Hello Allan,

Yes all is well with me apart from a chesty cough that I blame on the BA flight back from South Africa last week. Had a great week in the Eastern Cape. The most amusing thing about the week was the PH making 'shot glasses' out of scrotums. Cut off, contents eaten (not immediately!), cleaned out, salted, stretched over a 60 watt light bulb and left to dry for a couple of months. When it's ready break the light bulb and hey presto! My grey haired impala scrotum is sitting in my drinks cabinet as I write! If you haven't seen it before I will bring it up next season. Please give my regards to Cookie.

Phil

CDSG Shooting Sports