What is it with the weather forecasts this year?

Yet another evening when I went to bed with a dry forecast for the morning, wake up at some ungodly hour to find it pishing down and the forecast having done a full 180!!
This year seems particularly bad and consistently inconsistent! And I don’t mean that it rained at 11am but wasn’t forecast until noon. I’m talking broad themes - showing consistently dry a few hours out which then changes to biblical rain.
Bloody irritating so now off for a wet wander where the deer will no doubt be tucked up under shelter and not out and about feeding.

I find the local met forecast the most accurate 90% of the time, then there's always that 10%.
Forecast certainly better than it were 20yr ago :)

Just noticed that myself, how crap the BBC forecast is especially. I put off doing stuff until today, expecting a dry day, and now its ****ing down here.
Might try looking at local Met one, for a change.
hh

Yep last Friday no rain till midnight forecast ,10pm im swimming back to the car.And for 3 weeks frost and doom forecast finally Wednesday night minus 3 and a frozen screen .Can i have 100k a year to lie everyday live on tv in the hope 1 day i,l get it right please

The company the BBC now uses for its weather forecast is bad !! ( the BBC went to them because they were cheaper than the Met office )... They are a private company still based in the Netherlands I believe.. I was forced to use the same company yrs ago in the N/Sea for forecasts and while working in other oceans around the world and they were not reliable or accurate.
Better going on some of the free to access weather sites on the internet. The met office forecast is is still good and their weather phone app I have found is very good. Also a site called wind finder at Windfinder - wind, wave & weather reports, forecasts & statistics worldwide will give you good wind direction and strength across the UK and coastal waters and their phone app is useful. Click on the UK map and zoom in to your location and it will show you coloured dots, click on the dot and you will get a real time wind force and dirn reading. It takes a bit of digging on the internet to find the good sites as there is so much rubbish tourist forecast sites, but they are there. If you can read a synoptic weather chart ( or learn to read it ) then go to the Met office at Surface Pressure Charts or on the mountain weather information service Synoptic Charts. Same charts, but different display.. the MWIS weather forecast is good for the highland areas of the UK.
Hope this helps a bit..:)

get yourself a "Weather rock"
Some examples of the instructions commonly provided for "reading" a weather rock include:

• If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is difficult to see, it is foggy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
  • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.
  • If the rock can be felt but not seen, it is night time.
  • If the rock has white splats on it, watch out for birds.
  • If there are two rocks, stop drinking, you are drunk.
Weather rocks will also sometimes include rules for proper maintenance of the system such as, "Please do not disturb the weather rock, it is a finely tuned instrument!"

Frankly I struggle to recall anything they say:
See the source image

K

There's the problem, shame there aren't any of these weather girls on BBC as all I do is go back to bed after listening to the weather.

I found the best way to deal with the UK weather is to buy a thin coat and also buy a waterproof coat I also know what one will need renewing in three years time :tiphat:

Like others here I have wondered about the forecasts especially if I am trying to plan to go out in advance, seems to be money for old rope. On most of my permissions I have to let them know in advance I will be about , Suppose I should prepare to go regardless and look out the window in the morning .

I've been using Met Office app and it seems to change on an hourly basis and as I mentioned above, not just subtle changes!

And looking out of the window isn't a forecast, it's just an observation! Not much good for planning purposes...

When I was at school Mrs. McKay was at great pains to point out to us how our weather all came across the Atlantic on the jet stream. Mostly I ignored this as geography didn't seem like something I wanted to be good at. However, in recent years I've seen the error of my ways and I now watch the Mexican weather very, very carefully indeed:

When I was at school Mrs. McKay was at great pains to point out to us how our weather all came across the Atlantic on the jet stream. Mostly I ignored this as geography didn't seem like something I wanted to be good at. However, in recent years I've seen the error of my ways and I now watch the Mexican weather very, very carefully indeed:

When a weather forecaster looks like THIS I need to play the clip at least three times before any of the REALLY relevant weather info. gets through the filter into my active THINKING brain... It IS active OK, but thoughts are FAR from weather related to begin with, surprising enough!!.. Ha!

OK, this is waaaaay off P.C. but feck is she like HOT!! 😜

ATB ....... and shoot safely

When a weather forecaster looks like THIS I need to play the clip at least three times before any of the REALLY relevant weather info. gets through the filter into my active THINKING brain... It IS active OK, but thoughts are FAR from weather related to begin with, surprising enough!!.. Ha!

OK, this is waaaaay off P.C. but feck is she like HOT!! 😜
ATB ....... and shoot safely

Scorchio!

K

Sure there was a tv station (Few years ago) where the girls presenting used to take various clothing items off as they got through the forecast.
Ken.

Last edited:
Back