What is long range

2130martin

All over the Net there are websites discussing Long,Medium and Short range shooting.......my question is......what is the definition of Long,Medium and Short range???

Thanks

Martin

Mungo

Heard it said that it's any distance at which the click of a safety catch coming off no longer spooks them.

Conveniently, it accounts for wind as well as physical distance...

Southern

Long range is when your rifle, sights, and load in it cannot be aimed with the center of the sight and hit within the target size. For example, if my .270 is zeroed at 220 yards, I can hold dead on a 6 inch from 3 yards to 300 yards and hit it. When I have to start holding off the top of the back or off to the side for wind, it is long range.

SaOsborne

In the Uk ethical long range on a live target is probably 250 yds to 300yds tops, now if you go to the US or Canada, it seems to be how far can you see. Went out hunting in Canada with my mate, he took a shot at a Whitetail Buck at 570 Yds and gut shot it. I was ****ed off at him, we never caught up with the animal until the swirl of birds gave it away next day.

Long range in my eyes is the maximum distance you can consistently put 90% of your shots into 1.5-2" max group (will be a kill shot on most animals). There are many good shots out there who can group at much further, but this isn't stalking.... Only my opinion, others I know disagree!

Pedro

No specific measurements I'd say. Short range is a target that can't be missed. Medium range is a target that shouldn't be missed. Long range is a target you might miss.

So that'll be different depending on what tool you have (12ft lb air rifle or some flat firing centre-fire round), what the target is (a rabbit or a red deer), weather conditions (still summer day or howling blizzard) and also the capabilities of the shooter (this is my first time or I'm Chris Kyle).

So in respect of your question, 2130martin, the only person that can answer your question for you, is you! :D

bewsher500

Long range in my eyes is the maximum distance you can consistently put 90% of your shots into 1.5-2" max group (will be a kill shot on most animals).
about 70 yds then according to some of the DSC1 shooting tests!!

2" is extreme IMO

badbob

short range 10 yards, medium range 75yards, long range 150 + yards,

btw you can miss or wound at any range.

Ranger22

I don't care, you should shoot at ranges your capable of and not worry about what others think or say

Cootmeurer

With NRA Sanctioned High Power matches in the US, we would consider 200, 300, and 600 meters to be close, medium, and long.

With a HP rifle I would consider anything under 100 to be short, 100-300 medium, and past that long - but then it is the shooter. I have a good dear friend that shoots 1000 m matches, and scores quite well. For me - 1000 m is wishful thinking - without gravity I would not be hitting the ground at that distance.

pietasvenatores

long range can, be different from day to day, it depends on external factors that impact on the shooters position, bullet etc.

still warm day with perfect prone position, the right caliber in hand, and feeling good, maybe LR is over 400yds. Same deer, same place but in 30mph quarter wind, -2 Deg. Celcius, wet ground, cold fingers, rifle shaking in the wind...hell, 150yds might be considered long range.

same still warm day with a .222 in hand, 400yds is damn long range for a roe buck. With a 7mm RM in hand zeroed accordingly, it's an easy shot.

Similarly, .222 in difficult conditions, 400yds is impossible, whereas the 7mm RM is 'just possible' and maybe pretty damn long range for the day.

ie..it's not just distance!

Biathlonjimmy

I guess I think of short medium and long range in terms of TR. Bisley as an example Q I, II and III: Short being 300yds, Medium 500 & 600yrds and Long Range is when you have to change ranges to Stickledown for 900 and 1000. When hunting, be it for deer, rabbits or rats I never think that I'll be shooting at s,m or l range because, whatever the range is, it will be as close as I can get.

Last edited:

Laurie

For 'Fullbore' target shooting, the traditional dividing line is 600 yards. Up to and including that is short-range; 800 and beyond is long-range. (In case anybody wonders about 700, very few rifle ranges were ever provided with a firing point for this distance.)

Of course, these definitions are for static targets at known distances, so are meaningless for field shooting.

NigelM

There will be a big difference between what the guys are talking about on here and the websites you are looking at which at a guess are often US ones.

I would consider, when stalking deer or shooting foxes in the UK, inside 100yds to be short, 100 to 200 yds to be med and anything over 200 yds to be long. I doubt many on here would disagree too much - but some undoubtably will !!! :D

Your American websites however are a little different. Their view of long range is over 500 yds, often out to 1000 and beyond, when magnum calibres and high BC bullets make a difference. Their short is probably sub 200 yds.

Careful not to get sucked in to what our friends the other side of the pond say you need for Long range shooting and think you need the same kit for what we call a long range shot over here. You don't. You will be wasting your money and making yourself flinch.

Cumbrian 1

I don't care, you should shoot at ranges your capable of and not worry about what others think or say
Good point, the chap that can shoot consistently out to 500 metres as a result of extensive practice and possibly some training is not reckless IMHO as an ex keeper I have seen many deer gut shot at distances much less than 100 yds but I suppose that would be an ethical gut shot:rolleyes:

bobjs

It's not easy to answer,

But for me as a person who is a so called long distance shooter and using my 6mmbr as I do,

I can only say for me that 100 to 200 is close range, 200 to 400 is medium and anything up to my max range of 650 to700 is long range,

This is with my set up and out past a set range I will not take on live pray, I don't mind smacking a steel gong at silly ranges but with respect for the pray it's a no go for me past the point where I know I can achieve a humane kill.

So as mentioned above its what you and your equipment can achieve on a constant basis be it 100 or 1000 yards,

With respect

Bob

Southern

There will be a big difference between what the guys are talking about on here and the websites you are looking at which at a guess are often US ones.

Your American websites however are a little different. Their view of long range is over 500 yds, often out to 1000 and beyond, when magnum calibres and high BC bullets make a difference. Their short is probably sub 200 yds.
Realize, too, that a lot of people are infatuated right now with shooting long range from the bench and it spills over into hunting, among the newbies, who are more shooter than hunter. So there is an endless amount of chatter about what rifle and cartridge and bullet to shoot ( "hunt") deer at 400 and 500 yards, and not so much actually done.

Very few people can estimate range well enough to shoot at 300 yards, so they are shooting above and below an entire deer at 400 or 500, which may be there or at 300. This is especially true in agricultural lands of the South, with large fields, long seasons, and young deer, so the sizes of the whitetail deer vary greatly, to the further confusion of the tyro.

But there actually those who shoot at known ranges from high perches, use rangefinders, use a .270 or 7mm RM with which they are familiar, and cull 30 to 50 deer a year from their farms at 250 to 400 yards. And there are excellent shots who can make the ethical shot out West at 400 yards. Unfortunately, all of this just fuels the imaginations of those new to the sport.