What pot size to boil bones?

Omega

My freezers are bursting with meat because I don't want to through away bones with meat. I don't have dogs either
What I want to do is to cut off meat and then boil bones so that I remove meat and eat it separately unless you might suggest some other idea how to remove meat on bones, and keep the rest of the meat without bones for steaks, burgers or sausages
What size pot would you recommend buying? I think it should be wide enough, maybe even oblong shape - in the past, I remember my mother had an oblong pot specifically to bake whole goose, but I did not see such pots on the market, they might fit long bones, ribs, spine...
Thanks

Any commercial catering equipment supplier will stock pots and pans of a suitable capacity.

(See what I did there...?)
Wonder what size pot I should get? I have LeCreuset pots that is about 10 litres, but they don't always fit there, especially if I put legs, spine, ribs at once

Yes, this is what I am looking at the moment on sale - sick and tired going through the ribs :lol: . Still,it won't help me with some bones as I want to make burgers and sausages

You should be able to get most of the usable meat off the bones with something like a filleting knife.

I can, but I am conscious of time - I went hunting last Sunday, got up around 4:00AM, came home around 20:00 with 3 roe deers and was busy prepping carcasses until 5:00AM. And I had to wake up at 8:30 because of work (good that I worked from home and could take naps).
I need to do things quicker. I guess I will next time skin the carcasses, cut in two and put in the fridge for the next day
However, I still need to save time and butcher faster as sleep deprivation is not easy as I get older

Buying a pot to boil bones in sounds like a false economy to me. Try weighing the difference between the amount of meat you can trim off quickly versus getting off every last scrap. It's insignifiant against the cost of this plan.
That's taking a hell of a long time to prep, you ought to be able to halve the time quite easily as you get more practice. Do you have a gambrel you can hang from while skinning? Only a few quid. Or maybe a better knife or chopping board?
I'd think you'd be better spending less money getting your butchery process and equipment improved and not worrying about the 2% or so of lower grade meat you might not be getting off all the bones.

with the cost of gas/elec making gallons of stock from multiple deer will be pricey to do well. also consider what your going to be using it for. shanks and neck great slow cook joints. boned leg good roast or seperate muscle steak. boned shoulder diced for stew, any trim minced, shoulders could go in the mince. find some one that wants the bones for a dog and swap for whatever

Do you have a gambrel you can hang from while skinning? Only a few quid. Or maybe a better knife or chopping board?
Never thought gambrel will make skinning faster... This is something new and guess it allows pulling down the skin, so it may speed things up. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it
Don't know if I need a better knife - I don't have a filleting knife, but have lots in different shapes and prices. Don't mind buying more if this will speed up the process, but not sure how it will speed things up though
I am learning each time I come here
Thanks a lot

Never thought gambrel will make skinning faster... This is something new and guess it allows pulling down the skin, so it may speed things up. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it
Don't know if I need a better knife - I don't have a filleting knife, but have lots in different shapes and prices. Don't mind buying more if this will speed up the process, but not sure how it will speed things up though
I am learning each time I come here
Thanks a lot
One gadget I do rate is a vacuum packer ..about 25 quid from lidl sometimes and allows you to chop into larger pieces, pack and keeps fresh for well over a week, meaning you can do the finer butcher when you're rested and not in one big rush.

Not a hacksaw. A hacksaw is designed for cutting metal, not bone. Get a proper butcher's saw. Or failing that, use a hardpoint woodsaw. But definitely not a hacksaw.

Ive used them with a coarse tooth on them for lambs, it's never hurt and most people have them to hand.

One gadget I do rate is a vacuum packer ..about 25 quid from lidl sometimes and allows you to chop into larger pieces, pack and keeps fresh for well over a week, meaning you can do the finer butcher when you're rested and not in one big rush.
Small world - I also use from Aldi or Lidl :D. It is about 3-4 years old and still going strong

Back