what quad to buy

big cat

Hi all was thinking of buy a quad, have about £2500 to spend,depending on what make you buy has a lot to do with what condition you get and year you get, so has anybody any thoughts on what to get, make, year, condition and engine size . Its for getting red deer of the ground as a wee bit big to dragging to far. THANKS :confused:

User00014

Hi all was thinking of buy a quad, have about £2500 to spend,depending on what make you buy has a lot to do with what condition you get and year you get, so has anybody any thoughts on what to get, make, year, condition and engine size . Its for getting red deer of the ground as a wee bit big to dragging to far. THANKS :confused:

I've just got an 2006 Yamaha grizzly 450 not seen it yet, come home next weekend when my mate comes stalking and I paid £2200 apparently it pulls like a train.

270TOMMY

Buy a honda best of the best never any trouble getting spares if you need them ours are on the farm everyday and trouble free

norma 308

+ 1
for Honda use it 7 days a week winter and summer had a few others and they don't last like a Honda
​norma

Pedro

I've got a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 450. Mostly gets used for carrying about wheat to feed pheasants, towing a trailer on shoot work days, fencing, and suchlike jobs over some pretty steep and muddy fell land. Never gets stuck, never misses a beat, so as long as it's in reasonable nick you won't go wrong with it. Hondas always get rave reviews as well from everyone I've spoken to who has one. Steer clear of diesel ones, they are heavier and apparently less reliable. Kawasaki ones are okay, but not as good, same with Suzuki. Some people have Can Am quads, they do all sorts of engine sizes, you can get two-seater jobs as well, but although they will do the job as a working quad, they're more a lifestyle accessory it seems. I'd stick to Yamaha or Honda.

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
try get a forman i had a yam'bruin but it was't as good as my mates honder

the Essex fella is talking sense for once :D

honda all day long I just spent 340 pounds on a service bearings etc on my foreman 450
the guy informed me he was at a show a week earlier and saw one not as good nick as mine
the guy was selling at 2600 that was 400 pounds more than I paid for mine 5 years ago
oh and that's the first service in five years not spent a penny up untill now
​ regards pete

kev.rem700

Buy a honda best of the best never any trouble getting spares if you need them ours are on the farm everyday and trouble free

Get a honda greame we have 3 on farm never a problem with them.

Our big quad is a 500cc honda pulls like a train.

ATB Kev.

daw

I've got a Polaris HO 400 Sportsman, 450cc I think. While Honda might be better I would guess you would get a newer probably more reliable model for your money if you bought Polaris. Mine was a year old demonstrator (only a few hours on the clock and as new with 2 or 3 years warranty) which I bought from a dealer for £3000 two years ago so might be worth ringing round a few dealers to see if they have any offers.
I tow mine to where it is needed on a small trailer and then use the ATV to tow the trailer. It is far easier lifting or winching a red or two onto the trailer than trying to get one onto an ATV!

Last edited:

paul o'

seen a 500 honder 4x4 pull a bogged down land rover 110 out, my yam just puffed and spun :oops:

mind you why not get a jcb buggy winters coming and dry is king with a heater for foxing

Last edited:

Ranger22

Honda are a safe bet, very reliable. The only Honda I would avoid are the Hydrostatic models, the angle sensors are prone to going.

Al

vitalspark

Hi big cat
I bought a 5 year old 700 Suzuki king quad for 2500. Use it for harrowing and general work on the croft. Have to keep checking that the harrow hasn't fallen off as the torque is incredible. At that price I did have to replace a couple of nylon suspension bushes to tighten up the steering. You could get a newer 400/450 version for the same money.
​Have fun looking.

countrryboy

While i would agree with the 'Get a Honda' i do think there no where near as good as there once where. The old original 350's where truely indestrucable bikes.

I've just bought a shiny new Honda and stepped up to the 500 from 420. Must admit never priced or looked at another bike but that is more due to the 1st class serviceing and after sales care get from the local dealer.
Just heading up shoot now to tow some feed about, sure will notice a vast difference to my old bike but mainly as it was running on slicks the last wee while.

At ur money i would get wot ever bike looks in the best nick, Hondas are very easy fixed and most back street agri boys will fix a honda with eyes shut, i'd stay away from any complicated electric systems ,like ranger said the hydrostatic/auto honda or the ES shift honda are expensive to fix when they break down. Not to sure wot problems other bikes have

A lot off local farmers are ono Yamaha now and for the past 2 yr most yam's will havee powered steering pretty much as standard so will be filtering down onto 2nd hand market.

I like my honda but most bikes aren't that far away now, everyone speak to will have a different opinion

6.5x55

honda 500, or i would choose a can-am 500 or a can-am 1000, they are irs, so smooth as any thing off road, all round disks, so stopped and don't slide like a honda, and they pull like a train!

Akeld

Used to have a Bombardier, very comfy but an electrical nightmare, parts were none existent. We traded it in for a Honda fourtrac 350, its never missed a beat in six years, easy to service and parts readily available