What questions do they ask on a dsc2

Status
Not open for further replies.

James0586

Hi all,

I’m registered for DSC2 but I haven’t done any witnessed stalking with a guide yet. I’m fine on the practical side of things with the identification, gralloch and lymph nodes etc.

My question is what kind of questions will the DMQ assessor ask me?

Is is it from the bank of 180 or more that are in the dsc1 manual?

Or general questions on H&S the approach and notifiable diseases etc?

any help would be great.

Mine were mostly associated with the gralloch and carcass inspection. Make sure you know how to find the lymph nodes, what they're called, what to look for and how to ID the notifiable diseases. When you shoot ensure an ultra safe back stop and ensure you shoot the right species/sex. I very nearly screwed up on one January roe stalk, putting the rifle up to an antler less roe. Thankfully I had a proper check before I pulled the trigger and discovered it was a buck that has just cast :D. All the questions I had from two AW's were very much related to the stalk and safe carcass handling/transfer to the food chain/contamination - never put your knife down on the ground and yes it always goes in the dishwasher.

Mine were mostly associated with the gralloch and carcass inspection. Make sure you know how to find the lymph nodes, what they're called, what to look for and how to ID the notifiable diseases. When you shoot ensure an ultra safe back stop and ensure you shoot the right species/sex. I very nearly screwed up on one January roe stalk, putting the rifle up to an antler less roe. Thankfully I had a proper check before I pulled the trigger and discovered it was a buck that has just cast :D. All the questions I had from two AW's were very much related to the stalk and safe carcass handling/transfer to the food chain/contamination - never put your knife down on the ground and yes it always goes in the dishwasher.

Cheers Nigel,

thanks for for the insight it’s much appreciated. Like I said I’m not worried about the practical side of it I’m just unsure of being put on the spot when they ask a question.

Thanks again.

Hi all,

I’m registered for DSC2 but I haven’t done any witnessed stalking with a guide yet. I’m fine on the practical side of things with the identification, gralloch and lymph nodes etc.

My question is what kind of questions will the DMQ assessor ask me?

Is is it from the bank of 180 or more that are in the dsc1 manual?

Or general questions on H&S the approach and notifiable diseases etc?

any help would be great.

To stalk and safely shoot a deer takes some experience, but it is mostly basic field craft and common sense. What follows after is the difficult part for most people, and you will struggle without some form of guidance or training. There are some really good sources of information out there though. The Deer Initiative best practise guidelines are great. Far better though, is to get out with someone else that has done DSC 2 or better still, a good AW! There is no question bank! Rightly so, as a good AW will ask you questions that actually relate directly to the stalk and animal culled. You don't have to be able to name the lymph sites, but you are required to be able to identify them. Being able to identify notifiable diseases is essential, as is the actions on finding them. You will also be asked questions or more likely be given role-play scenarios on humane dispatch following a poorly placed shot. Decision making, shot site analysis, and further decision making. You may well have a dog that you think can find deer, but in reality, if it is as novice as you are, then it may not be as good as you think it is. Find out who your local expert deer tracking people are such as UKSHA:
https://www.uksha.org.uk/
Or UKDTR:
http://www.ukdeertrackandrecovery.co.uk/
Store their numbers in your phone so you can find them when asked!
Also store the notifiable disease number which is the DEFRA APHA:
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/notifiable-diseases-in-animals
There are various AW download guides on the DMQ website which are 'open source' documents. Have a look and it will give you a good idea of what the AW is looking for.
https://www.dmq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Approved-Witness-Handbook-May-2014.pdf
Once your portfolio is submitted, the assessor may also phone you and ask a few questions to fill any gaps or just consolidate your portfolio.
He (or she!) also does not have a question bank! Assessors are generally not the 'fire breathing dragons' that they get labelled with, and only get paid once you pass, so it is in their interest to get you through the process. If you have any further worries or concerns, please PM me and Ill be happy to talk through it with you.
MS

Agree with all of the above, there just Stalkers like yourself and No trick question!
ATB
Bill.

That was my experience. Both assessors were good people, enthusiastic stalkers and fun to be out with. The experience was not like sitting an exam, it was a good stalk.

TAssessors are generally not the 'fire breathing dragons' that they get labelled with, and only get paid once you pass, so it is in their interest to get you through the process. If you have any further worries or concerns, please PM me and Ill be happy to talk through it with you.
MS

Just to clarify a point, an AW (Approved Witness) will witness you stalking. An Assessor will phone you up once the three ICRs are submitted and ask you questions relating to your three ICRs.

Regards

JCS

I was asked not only about what actually happened on the stalk but questioned on other scenarios, for instance when I shot the deer and it dropped on the spot my witness asked me what I would have done if the animal had run. Then when I approached the deer it was dead however the assessor said assume that its not dead what are you going to do, he then wanted me to demonstrate how I would safely go about taking the second shot from close range etc.(obviously without pulling the trigger!)
All in all I found it a good experience

Are you implying that all Aw's are corrupt??

I sincerely hope not.

A member asks a simple question and this is not the sort of reply needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a capable experienced stalker it should be irrelevant what question you are asked you should know it. All the questions are in the book that you will have read when you did your DSC1. If you are worried about the questions you are not ready for your DSC2

Hi
JC Campbell has answered your query correctly. A lot of the answers you are getting here are what you can expect from the AW, he is the one who will be with you when you do your stalking. The Assessor is the one who receives your portfolio and that is what he will question you on, usually to confirm that what you have written and what your AW has written are the same.
The Assessor will also question your AW on the same subjects just to be sure your both singing from the same hymn sheet.
Just be aware that the assessor may call you several weeks / months after your stalk so keep your notes to hand.
Its nothing to be scared of, the AW and the Assessor both want you to pass your Level 2 (obviously if your up to it).

You will see post 13 has been altered by Admin. Not the sort of remark we welcome as this implies corrupt practices.

If you are a capable experienced stalker it should be irrelevant what question you are asked you should know it. All the questions are in the book that you will have read when you did your DSC1. If you are worried about the questions you are not ready for your DSC2

Totally Agree with the above. I did the Swedish hunting exam when i had a limited knowledge of Swedish. So I studied and read the course literature and with my past knowledge of stalking and shooting past the tests easily. The whole idea of studying is to expand your knowledge and not look for easy shortcuts.

To stalk and safely shoot a deer takes some experience, but it is mostly basic field craft and common sense. What follows after is the difficult part for most people, and you will struggle without some form of guidance or training. There are some really good sources of information out there though. The Deer Initiative best practise guidelines are great. Far better though, is to get out with someone else that has done DSC 2 or better still, a good AW! There is no question bank! Rightly so, as a good AW will ask you questions that actually relate directly to the stalk and animal culled. You don't have to be able to name the lymph sites, but you are required to be able to identify them. Being able to identify notifiable diseases is essential, as is the actions on finding them. You will also be asked questions or more likely be given role-play scenarios on humane dispatch following a poorly placed shot. Decision making, shot site analysis, and further decision making. You may well have a dog that you think can find deer, but in reality, if it is as novice as you are, then it may not be as good as you think it is. Find out who your local expert deer tracking people are such as UKSHA:
https://www.uksha.org.uk/
Or UKDTR:
http://www.ukdeertrackandrecovery.co.uk/
Store their numbers in your phone so you can find them when asked!
Also store the notifiable disease number which is the DEFRA APHA:
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/notifiable-diseases-in-animals
There are various AW download guides on the DMQ website which are 'open source' documents. Have a look and it will give you a good idea of what the AW is looking for.
https://www.dmq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Approved-Witness-Handbook-May-2014.pdf
Once your portfolio is submitted, the assessor may also phone you and ask a few questions to fill any gaps or just consolidate your portfolio.
He (or she!) also does not have a question bank! Assessors are generally not the 'fire breathing dragons' that they get labelled with, and only get paid once you pass, so it is in their interest to get you through the process. If you have any further worries or concerns, please PM me and Ill be happy to talk through it with you.
MS

Thanks for that it’s much appreciated it’s put me at ease now cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back