What questions to ask when buying stalking

Tet

Hi everyone,

Following from another thread about the typical costs for Roebuck stalking, I thought it would be really useful to know what questions the more experienced out there ask when looking at choosing a potential Stalker/Guide.

So, without wishing to limit anyones thinking, what do you want to know before you make a commitment?

Thanks...Tet!

Hi everyone,

Following from another thread about the typical costs for Roebuck stalking, I thought it would be really useful to know what questions the more experienced out there ask when looking at choosing a potential Stalker/Guide.

So, without wishing to limit anyones thinking, what do you want to know before you make a commitment?

Thanks...Tet!

How long in time is the "stalk"

Whats the planned schedual for the day (start and finish times etc.)

Is there a kill fee

Are there trophie fees and if so can I see the list of costs

Is there a miss fee

Is there a deer search fee

Can I buy the meet and if so how much is it

What are the logistics of deer extraction

What sort of day is it, woodland stalking, open hill or field, high seat

What equipment should I bring aside from a rifel, sticks, graloching knife

Hi everyone,

Thanks...Tet!

A good list of questions has been given in previous answers. I would add to that:

Are you going to tout for a Tip?
Do you expect me to also buy you breakfast, morning coffee and lunch - in an establishment of your choice?
If we don't see any deer will I get a refund or discount towards a future outing?
If we do see deer, but cannot get a safe shot off, will I get a discount towards a future outing?
If you tell me to take a shot but I don't, how much will you charge me as a 'no shot fee' ?
What is your typical average success rate? 1:4? 1:3? 1:2?
Do you actually have permission on the land where you will take me?

Last edited:
A good list of questions has been given in previous answers. I would ad to that:

Are you going to tout for a Tip?
Do you expect me to also buy you breakfast, morning coffee and lunch - in an establishment of your choice?
If we don't see any deer will I get a refund or discount towards a future outing?
If we do see deer, but cannot get a safe shot off, will I get a discount towards a future outing?
If you tell me to take a shot but I don't, how much will you charge me as a 'no shot fee' ?
What is your typical average success rate? 1:4? 1:3? 1:2?
Do you actually have permission on the land where you will take me?

Very good!

And.............................. (as an add-on to your last):

If you are lending a rifle are you fully complying with the new provisions of S.11A Firearms Act 1968?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...?id=38&usg=AFQjCNFWuO6wmTONsNZdbdfFh4OvwEKt5Q

Very funny, if you were to ask me those questions in that order the outing would cost you nothing, as you would be asked to go forth and multiply.

I may be providing a service ,and I am mindful that the client is ultimately my paymaster, and I am happy to answer any legitimate question a client may ask , however I don't have to put up with down right rudeness.

The client is at liberty to choose whatever provider he wishes, as I can choose who I want as a client , and you have just failed the interview.

Last edited:
I am glad that my suggestions were seen as funny by some.
Yes, they may have been tongue-in-cheek, BUT:
I have been on a full day out with a very well known and apparently highly respected professional stalker on a very well know estate, and we didn't see even 1 deer all day, and I was expected to buy him his food and drinks in the local Restaurant, and he was touting for a tip, and he didn't offer me any discount on a future outing.
There are plenty of other examples on this forum of people having been taken out on land where the guide had no permission, and of 'extra' fees which were not clearly communicated to the client in advance.

(And before I am going to be flamed: Yes I am sure the very vast majority of prof. guides are brilliant and decent and professional and honest!)

(And before I am going to be flamed: Yes I am sure the very vast majority of prof. guides are brilliant and decent and professional and honest!)

Thanks for everyone's feedback, and I particularly enjoyed some of the more 'tongue in cheek' ones :lol:

Perhaps, Erik's final comment sums up the problem, as discussed on other posts, that there is no simple way to identify 'Professional Guides/Stalkers'. In many professions there are - professional standards body, minimum qualification, independent review/audits etc, whereas for stalking which is ultimately 'a game of chance' in which you are trying to stack the deck, we have to rely on luck in finding good people to buy services from.

I do not expect to get 'freebies' from professionals, but I do expect a professional service.
If I am buying from a 'recreational' stalker, then that fine if I know the reality before I sign-up.
Word of mouth is probably the best source, but as you start out you don't have the trusted network to help you.
Lack of trust/Fear is something that is common - fear that I'm going to be'ripped off' from both sides, will the 'guide' try to take advantage? will the 'guest' try to take my land?

Unfortunately I see no easy answers to this as it appears that too many people see an opportunity to take advantage of the demand from people wanting to stalk but with no ground of their own.

I am happy to pay, but payment demands a fair and reasonable service from the provider.

Tet!

Unfortunately I see no easy answers to this as it appears that too many people see an opportunity to take advantage of the demand from people wanting to stalk but with no ground of their own.

I am happy to pay, but payment demands a fair and reasonable service from the provider.

Tet!

I think that you must go into a first time stalking with one other expectation in the very back of your mind - and that would be this could be a totally wasted effort and loss of money. Not a pleasant thought - but sooner or later you will find someone that talks a good game, but doesn't deliver.

Once you have broken the ice and stalked or shot with a guide or outfitter, you know what to expect.

I have been fortunate on all my trips to the UK to have had positive experiences with stalking. Within the US I have had a mixed bag, with some being over the top wonderful, most being as expected, and one that resulted in our party paying the base fee, no tip, and leaving early to avoid the situation from being any worse.

Very funny, if you were to ask me those questions in that order the outing would cost you nothing, as you would be asked to go forth and multiply.

I may be providing a service ,and I am mindful that the client is ultimately my paymaster, and I am happy to answer any legitimate question a client may ask , however I don't have to put up with down right rudeness.

The client is at liberty to choose whatever provider he wishes, as I can choose who I want as a client , and you have just failed the interview.

Completely agree with the above, the client also has to pass the 'interview'.

I am an AAPGAI and FFF qualified fly fishing guide and have had to pass rigorous exams and CPD to pass and maintain my qualifications. Is there an equivalent deer stalking guide/ghillie qualification?

As far as guided stalking goes, I landed on my feet with Nick (Redcoat).

Back