what scope and how much

gem

while talking to a very experienced stalker we got on to the subject of scopes to cut along talk short he said that a lot of Americans use Bushnell scopes on large calibre rifles and that they are reasonably priced does anyone have any experience using these scopes and how much where they

VSS

Yes, I have one on my .243
It's a Bushnell Banner Dawn to Dusk. I think the mag is 3-12 x 50, and it's got an illuminated centre cross in the reticle.
Cost about £140 (new).

Had some teething problems when it all fogged up inside. However, it was sent back (under warranty) and opened, dried, re-purged and sealed and it's been good since.

It's not what you'd call a "top end" scope, but it's good for that price and more than adequate for what I need. I would recommend Bushnell scopes to the occasional stalker who wants reasonable kit but can't justify splashing out.

devon deer stalker

A lot of American's might, but a lot more use Leupold scopes.
My advice if you are on a budget, buy a second hand 6x42 Schmidt and Bender.

Cheers

Richard

Markfox

I have a bushnell 6500 in the adds virtually brand new if it helps

as said a lot of Americans use Leupolds and remmy rifles as they are loyal to made in America

penta

I have a very old Bushnell scope , and It's crystal clear. I also have a more modern version, It's alright. But the older one Is definitely a better scope.

Heym SR20

Bushnells and leupold are good tough scopes, and will be atop most American hunters rifles. I have used a 3-12x50 bushnell, and whilst it's no S&B, Swarovski etc it's good enough. But as said above if you are on a budget £300 gets a good 6x42 or 8x56 of German / Austrian make - a Bette option IMHO

leec6.5

You will pick up a good second hand 8x56 Schmidt bender for between £300 and £350 all day long and a 6x42 for between £250 and £280.

I think there is a 6x42 Schmidt on the classifieds at the moment.

gem

the post was to see if anyone had heard similar talk about Bushnell scopes I have a S&B and a Leupold so not looking for scope iwas just surprised at the price of Bushnell and also all of the ones for sale say air rifle but odd ads do say rim fire

Kit

Leupold are a no nonsense scope but can be a pain for the quick shot.had mine on a Mauser 243 for about 10 years Dropped it ,bashed it ,twisted the mounts several times.A quick re zero and it will put a round into a 2" circle at 100yrds everytime.Not the cheapest but worth the money

tusker

while talking to a very experienced stalker we got on to the subject of scopes to cut along talk short he said that a lot of Americans use Bushnell scopes on large calibre rifles and that they are reasonably priced does anyone have any experience using these scopes and how much where they
Dont know why folks are pushing Leupold, Scmit, and Swarvski the post is very clear he wants to know about BUSHNELL.
I have one on my 243 and it is a Bushnell Legend 4-12 x 40 . I love it night time foxing, all deer in UK ,high seat, walking stalk, hill stalking in Scotland all weathers and it has never let me down or shifted zero. Took a hind at 300 yrds with it etc.
I did have Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 50 on my 30-06 and that has been every were including 2 Africa trips again Scotland. Taken many heads of game in all environments once we had 3 days of solid rain in Scotland and it never fogged. Many airline trips and never lost zero. Only changed when my son bought me a Swarovski for Christmas otherwise it would still be on the "ought 6.
If you want a Bushnell go ahead spend £200 and what you save spend on stalking.
Tusker

TOMMO.B

I have a Bushnell 3-6x40 scope that must be 30 years old now. the glass is Bausch and Lomb and is still clear. And the scope even has a bullet drop indicator and twin cross hair for distance. its now on 22rf but was once on a 243.
Its well used and is still perfect.
I say go for one. ATB Tommy

smokey

if taken in and out of a house with central heating and into the cold expect problems with the seals .they are really krap in low light and overcast damp conditions

Cris

I have a Bushnell 3-6x40 scope that must be 30 years old now. the glass is Bausch and Lomb and is still clear. And the scope even has a bullet drop indicator and twin cross hair for distance. its now on 22rf but was once on a 243.
Its well used and is still perfect.
I say go for one. ATB Tommy
Any one know if they still use B&L glass?

tusker

if taken in and out of a house with central heating and into the cold expect problems with the seals .they are really krap in low light and overcast damp conditions
Not my experience at all. The only scope I have had that needed a repair was a Swarovski.
Tusker

tarponhead

I use a Bushnell Droptine on my .22wmr - perfect match, even in low light, but I have to say I prefer Leupold - especially the older ones - my favourite is a Vari-X III 1.75-6 x40 which I intend for my next .22lr

paul o'

Nowt wrong with them they are good cheap hard working scopes , Leo's I used to use the Boon & C , but I couldn't quite get on with there ret's being just to fine or to thick ? so moved up to S&B then swaro over to V8 then then then :zzz: . now I am just starting to dip into the Delta's ? all scopes are good or bad it depends on what the owner calls good or bad ?? if it works use it if not move on !,hay life is about choice we as shooters make lots of them over the years ? if we see a glossy add in a shooting mag well ??? you know what's going to happen :norty: .
Happy xmas lads .:tiphat:

VSS

This is what happened to mine, but been fine since it was sent back to be sorted out.

Rasputin

My buddy has a bushbell ballistic calculator all singing all fancying job and it's pretty mental. You can shoot insane groups with it over long range. We tried it out to 600 yards and if you were of the perusuarion you could easily use it on game no problems. Think this was at the top end of there prices though.